American airlines cancelled flight UPDATED

Sues48
Sues48 Posts: 285 Forumite
edited 15 July 2012 at 8:23PM in Flights, currency & car hire
We were due to fly to Denver via Chicago tomorrow from Manchester, we had booked a hotel at the airport for tonight and just before we set off went to check in on line and print off our boarding pass, to our horror, we found that the flight had been cancelled, no notification from AA. Phoned AA to find out what was going on to be told we had been rescheduled for Sunday on completely different flights via Heathrow and Miami.

We have lost the cost of our hotel tonight,our first night's accommodation in Denver plus a day of our holiday. To say we are annoyed is putting it mildly, we can't get another hotel at Manchester tomorrow as everywhere is booked up so will have to get up in the early hours of Sunday to drive to the airport.

The reason that they gave for cancelling the flight is that they haven't got a crew for the flight out to Chicago!

What rights if any do we have, are we entitled to compensation? If it's a discount off further AA flights they can stick that where the sun don't shine:mad:

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You might be entitled to cash compensation but it depends on the reason for the cancelation. If the crew was missing because they were supposed to come in on a flight that was cancelled due to bad weather for instance, you're out of luck. Also, if you are entitled to compensation be prepared to take it to court since airlines generally balk at paying.

I would try and get the flight on Sunday changed if possible. Miami is notorious for long queues at immigration and generally considered one of the worst US airports for connections.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 29 June 2012 at 6:11PM
    Ring AA now and get them to check for availability out of London tomorrow preferably in the afternoon. Once they find it they should be able to add a Manchester to London flight to it so you can travel tomorrow. I agree lose that Miami flight if you can.

Conversation will go something like

Hi you've rebooked me due to a flight cancellation. The new flights are not acceptable please check for availability tomorrow out of London instead. Then ask them to add the code share flight Manchester to Heathrow. There will be better availability that way and AA are usually very flexible but their system doesn't always show all the ex Manchester options which is why you need to try it the way I'm suggesting.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Sues48
    They have already told us that there is no availability out of London tomorrow, believe me, my husband doesn't take no for an answer easily, he was on the phone to them for 45 mins and they are insistent that the flights they have given us on Sunday are the only option.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would have suggested BA219 from Heathrow which should have been bookable as a codeshare with AA but the BA website doesn't give any availability on it - but give a whirl, as they say "shy bairns get nowt".

Otherwise your best option looks to be AA87 to Chicago then AA3766 or AA6154 (which is a BA codeshare) to Dallas then AA1651.

But check Kayak.co.uk and the AA website and have a list of options BEFORE you phone them
  • duchy
    Go back to them and ask them to check code shares too.

I agree tell them what you need to be rebooked onto not ask them what you can have.

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sues48 wrote: »
    They have already told us that there is no availability out of London tomorrow, believe me, my husband doesn't take no for an answer easily, he was on the phone to them for 45 mins and they are insistent that the flights they have given us on Sunday are the only option.

Well I have just checked the AA website - they seem to have a flight out tomorrow (9:50 in the morning) from LHR going via Miami ... I only checked one way - £4201 - but classed as Economy Super Saver!!!! :mad:

Try ringing them again & point out you can see this on thier own website

https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/reservation/matrixFlightSearchReturnAccess.do?v_mobileUAFlag=AA&v_locale=en_GB&bookingPathStateId=1340990770165-20&v_locale=en_GB&v_mobileUAFlag=AA&v_mobileUAFlag=AA&v_locale=en_GB&bookingPathStateId=1340990770165-20

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm finding several options on AA's website in economy to Denver tomorrow and even more on Sunday.
  • Sues48
    There is very little availability for 3 people, what availability there is seems to be on early morning flights which isn't really practical at such short notice when we've got to travel from up north, or have very long layovers, not getting into Denver until Sunday morning.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sues48 wrote: »
    There is very little availability for 3 people, what availability there is seems to be on early morning flights which isn't really practical at such short notice when we've got to travel from up north, or have very long layovers, not getting into Denver until Sunday morning.

Hi,

Could you not look to get a flight somewhere near to Denver & then see if you can go Southwest or something?

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • duchy
    Don't you have a hotel booked at the airport for tonight or did I misunderstand that bit ?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family