PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping lettuce fresh

Options

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These bags are amazing, i put sprouts in them on christmas day (raw) because we had bought far too many, took them out on New Years Day and they were as fresh as the day i put them in there. You dont fasen the bags either, just turn the tops over.

They are for sale in all the cheapie shops, £1 shop, wilkinsons, Home bargains, Yorkshire Store,
    All at 20 for £1, they also do meat ones, but never tried them.

Like I say, brilliant and they pay for themselves in a short time.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good idea, unfortunately I don't have the space/garden :(

Funny you should mention that, I've seen on the US Biggest Loser them promoting ZipLock Fresh bags, which are meant to help keep vegtables fresh longer, but I haven't seen anything like that over here. Where do you get long life bags from and what brand are they?

Lakeland do some green coloured long life bags which are strong enough to reuse a few times each.

Regarding the salad leaves you could grow them in pots easily. Pea tops, beetroot leaves, rocket and any mixed salad grows very quickly in not much compost. Have 3 pots sown successionally. Harvest one whilct the others grow and once one dies back completely (will regrow a couple of times hence called cut and come again) just reseed. Seeds for these sort of mixed leaves are cheap, I got a pack for 35p from aldi and last year 59p in morrisons. Basically if you can grow herbs on a window sill you have enough room for lettuce/salad leaves.

If you really can't grow any I would buy the individual leaves whole ie whole lettuces, bunches of uncut spinich/rocket. The less they are processed the longer they will last. Then prepare as you go along.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I like the "Fresh & Naked" rocket from Tesco.

Its in a brown cardboard box, I find it lasts brilliantly, its the only lettuce type stuff I buy now.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Funny you should mention that, I've seen on the US Biggest Loser them promoting ZipLock Fresh bags, which are meant to help keep vegtables fresh longer, but I haven't seen anything like that over here. Where do you get long life bags from and what brand are they?[/QUOTE]

I just buy them from a pound shop and I think Wilkinsons do them too... things last for ages in them I debag all my veg , fruit and salads into them... it really gives them a long life.. you can rinse the bags out after use and reuse them several times..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    These bags are amazing, i put sprouts in them on christmas day (raw) because we had bought far too many, took them out on New Years Day and they were as fresh as the day i put them in there. You dont fasen the bags either, just turn the tops over.

They are for sale in all the cheapie shops, £1 shop, wilkinsons, Home bargains, Yorkshire Store,
    All at 20 for £1, they also do meat ones, but never tried them.

Like I say, brilliant and they pay for themselves in a short time.

lovely thankyou for that will pop into £1 land and have a look
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • woofwoofwoof
    Options
    I empty the bag into a salad spinner and just keep it in the fridge. I think becuase the lettuce sits in the little basket bit air can circulate and keeps it fresher for longer.
    :hello:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'll add this to the existing thread to give you more ideas.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been using the Debbie Myers green bags for years. from QVC, they were expensive, but worth it. However I have now gone on to the cheaper one, from Wilkinsons (I think) they are smaller than the Debbie Myers ones, but a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thats it really,any ideas please?
    its an actual lettuce,not a bag of leaves.at the mo its in the fridge.
    cheers.:)
  • PaddyPaws
    PaddyPaws Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    If the lettuce is a bit wilted just take off the leaves you want to use and plunge them in a bowl of cold water. Leave them for a bit and they seem to freshen up

HTH
    PP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family