PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping lettuce fresh

Options

Comments

• Westywoodpecker
    Options
    I'm a real fan of the "green bags". I think they help keep fruit & veg for so much longer. I get them from Home Bargains as they are really cheap. :D
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jexygirl wrote: »
    Hi ya,
    as has been previously posted, using metal knives if you need to cut iceberg or such can make it go off quicker, as it "oxidises" when the metal touches it and hence starts to deteriorate faster. You can buy plastic knives, I have one, but even then, you are still "bruising" it even if you cut it or tear it, but i find the wet teatowel (changed daily) over a tub of prepped (either pre bought or prepped and cut yourself) seems to work best for us.
    Another tip I got, was when washing it, soak it in a bowl or sink of water, rather than under a running tap directly onto it, again to reduce bruising.
    I am trying the grow your own this year, but a late frost has put paid to initial crops!
    Jex

I've got one of those plastic knives, I'm going to start remembering to use it:o
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too have a similar round lidded bowl with a spike that I bought from Bettaware about 10 years ago for less than a fiver and its the best thing for iceberg lettuce that I know I live alone so at over a pound for a lettuce I have to make sure I get every bit and don't lose any I have only ever had to chuck the last bit of stalk and always use a little plastic knife to cut what I need off
    My lettuce can last a good couple of weeks(time it takes me to eat one ) and is one of the best 'gadgets' I have ever bought. I wrap my celery in tin foil and that keeps it fresh for ages as well.
  • lellypants
    lellypants Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As usual I’m over run with lettuce in the garden this year.

I have a pair of tortoise that eat their body weight in the stuff each day (the little fatties) so I always make sure to over grow.

Is there a way to preserve it?

I was wondering if it would freeze or dry.
    thanks!
    craft craft craft!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Lelly:j

There is an older thread which should help you - keeping lettuce fresh

Hope it helps, and I'll merge this with it later

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone got tips for maximising the shelf life of bagged lettuce. I know its not the most economical way of buying lettuce, but I do it as I like the variety of leafs/types. Anyway, when ever I buy it, it seems to start discolouring by the next day. Anyways to get max life out of a bag?
  • globetraveller
    Options
    I also like the variety but it never seemed to last long enough. Decided to plant a couple of varieys and now at least during the summer I have my own!:) Probably saved me a fortune
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • kitschy
    kitschy Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    I know that by tearing the leaves rather than cutting them, it makes them last longer and stops the raw edge going brown.

HTH
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use those green long life bags to store all my fruit and veg they certainly extend the life of some things extremely well
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also like the variety but it never seemed to last long enough. Decided to plant a couple of varieys and now at least during the summer I have my own!:) Probably saved me a fortune
    Good idea, unfortunately I don't have the space/garden :(
    tanith wrote: »
    I use those green long life bags to store all my fruit and veg they certainly extend the life of some things extremely well
    Funny you should mention that, I've seen on the US Biggest Loser them promoting ZipLock Fresh bags, which are meant to help keep vegtables fresh longer, but I haven't seen anything like that over here. Where do you get long life bags from and what brand are they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure