MSE News: Airlines axe debit card surcharges, but Easyjet & Ryanair won't follow suit

Options
123457»

Comments

• Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    No fatalaties though. How long before Ryanair has a major accident because it runs out of fuel? Read the relevant parts of pages 21 and 46 of this study.

Might be wrong but I think I saw one of these in Ryanair livery
    at Stansted so no worries.

http://www.211squadron.cz/aktuality/refuel.jpg
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    Ryanair's move not to surcharge for debit card fees comes into effect on 1st December 2012.

Shouldn't that read 'to include debit card charges in the price'
  • Jew
    Jew Posts: 276 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2012 at 5:47PM
    Options
    There's a discussion about the scammy RyanAir admin fee of £6/€6 per person/per sector here.
    What "administration" requires a fee? How is it "upfront" when it is in addition to a price that is otherwise all inclusive?

So true.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    Jew wrote: »
    There's a discussion about the scammy RyanAir admin fee of £6/€6 per person/per sector here.

So true.

Unless you're one of the people who don't pay this of course.
  • Jew
    Jew Posts: 276 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you're one of the people who don't pay this of course.

The issue is that it's not mentioned who pays it and who doesn't on the page, and that it's simply added-on at the end.

The way to avoid it, is to pay £6 for a RyanAir card (non-refundable and non-usable credit), with a minimum £150 top up. Hardly a solution.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    edited 5 July 2012 at 6:10PM
    Options
    The issue is that it's not mentioned who pays it and who doesn't on the page, and that it's simply added-on at the end.

The way to avoid it, is to pay £6 for a RyanAir card (non-refundable and non-usable credit), with a minimum £150 top up. Hardly a solution.

£6 is used on flight booking so card is free.
    I book about 9-10 flights with £150 and save £54-£60

Please can you show me a bank that will pay me interest at that rate.
  • Louisdf
    Louisdf Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

You get a £6 travel voucher when you buy the card so it is affectively free. Also, you only need to top up £150 the first time, afterwards you can top up by bank transfer by any amount. So it's not that bad. Although, I am making 3 ryanair trips in the next 2 months, so it's worth it. If you just take one trip every summer you would need to make sure that you top up by the right amount so no excess is left at the end.
  • Louisdf
    Louisdf Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also, I've found that you can use the cash passport card for flights originating from countries where there is no cash passport (Portugal/Poland) which is good if you don't have a prepaid mastercard. There is a 2.5% fee but prepaid mastercards also have a range of fees/restrictions as well.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Options
    Maybe the Ryanair card isn't pretty enough for Jew

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=51659657&postcount=1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts