MSE News: Airlines axe debit card surcharges, but Easyjet & Ryanair won't follow suit

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Actually there is a fuel fee on many airlines. I don't see what the name matters as long as the fee is included in the prices shown at the start of the booking process. Then people are in a position to make fair comparisons of overall price. If easyJet were to remove it, it would only mean the base fare would increase accordingly, leaving passengers on the whole no better of. So I don't see how this is giving two fingers to anyone.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    NFH wrote: »
    I had a similar view to you, but I found myself flying with Ryanair this month because they were the only airline flying the route. Sometimes there is no choice but to fly with this despicable airline.

Yes I know what you mean. Sometimes I fly with them because the fare is a 3rd of flying with someone else. Hate them, hate them , hate them.:D
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes I know what you mean. Sometimes I fly with them because the fare is a 3rd of flying with someone else. Hate them, hate them , hate them.:D
    If you look only at the fare, then you are very easy to please. Some of us also care about quality of service, comfort, lack of stress and how the airline deals with any problems that arise. I'm happy to pay more to fly with a proper airline like British Airways if I have the choice.
  • Mr_Wang
    Mr_Wang Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    NFH wrote: »
    If you look only at the fare, then you are very easy to please. Some of us also care about quality of service, comfort, lack of stress and how the airline deals with any problems that arise. I'm happy to pay more to fly with a proper airline like British Airways if I have the choice.

With a major accident and strikes/threats of strike in the last few years how you can possibly place BA better than Ryanair (and pay extra for it) is beyond me.
  • jpsartre
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who avoids giving business to companies that display the kind of arrogant disdain Ryanair have for fair and transparent pricing.

This summer we're flying BA over Ryanair even though it means a change of plane at LHR and will probably be twice the price. Just couldn't be bothered working out what the add-on's for luggage would add up to. Also, we can always use the Avios point.
  • Mr_Wang
    jpsartre wrote: »
    This summer we're flying BA over Ryanair even though it means a change of plane at LHR and will probably be twice the price. Just couldn't be bothered working out what the add-on's for luggage would add up to. Also, we can always use the Avios point.

Good for you.
  • jpsartre
    Well, I anticipate it will be. Have always enjoyed flying BA so far.
  • Mr_Wang
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Well, I anticipate it will be. Have always enjoyed flying BA so far.

What's the furthest European flight?

Few hours maybe, 4 to Turkey? But lets say the average European flight from the UK is about 2hrs. Is it really worth paying double for it?
    Seriously?

I used to commute between NI and England every Friday/Sunday and the outbound was always BA to Manchester whereas the Inbound was EZY from Liverpool. BA cost about 3 times more at the point.
    The only difference was that BA rushed a sandwich to you a few minutes after take off.

I paid the extra because I had to leave NI around 6pm and BA was my only choice. I used to do it through gritted teeth. The BA plane was always really old too.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mr_Wang wrote: »
    With a major accident
    No fatalaties though. How long before Ryanair has a major accident because it runs out of fuel? Read the relevant parts of pages 21 and 46 of this study.
  • jpsartre
    "Is it really worth paying double for it?"

That's the sort of question nobody can answer except the person paying to fly. People put different values on different things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure