Aqua Reward Credit Card - 3% cashback up to £100/year

Options

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Jaxer wrote: »
    ...Does anyone know what happens after the first year with Aqua - do they pay any cashback after the promo period, or does it go back to a "standard" card?
    Where does it say that it is some promotion?

That said, they obviously can pull/reduce the cashback at any time.
  • blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Jaxer wrote: »
    I'll be coming up to the £100 mark soon so I'll be swapping back to my Halifax rewards card .

Does anyone know what happens after the first year with Aqua - do they pay any cashback after the promo period, or does it go back to a "standard" card?

(I know I have to keep it open until the cashback comes through but I'm just thinking ahead)

Until they say any different the cashback will be paid out and reset on the card anniversary and you can begin to accumulate again the following year :)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know what happens after the first year with Aqua

The short answer is no, we don't know.
    In theory it carries on as it is until we hear otherwise, but many would think it's such a good deal there has to be a risk they won't carry on next year.
    So sorry we just don't know.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Over-limit on the Aqua card?

Does anyone know what happens if you try to spend money on this card when you are already at your (low) credit limit? Does the transaction simply fail, so that you can use an alternative means of payment? Or do you face fees and loss of your cashback for that year?
  • grumbler
    edited 7 December 2012 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Over-limit on the Aqua card?

Does anyone know what happens if you try to spend money on this card when you are already at your (low) credit limit? Does the transaction simply fail, so that you can use an alternative means of payment?
    There are absolutely no reasons for making such assumption unless it is a very big transaction. They will be happy to use every opportunity for charging you for going over the limit and for not paying the cashback.
    Or do you face fees and loss of your cashback for that year?
    That's what I'd expect.
  • gglaze
    gglaze Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    There are absolutely no reasons for making such assumption unless it is a very big transaction. They will be happy to use every opportunity for charging you for going over the limit and for not paying the cashback.
    That's what I'd expect.

Actually, previous threads (or earlier in this thread maybe?) have reported that so far Aqua was doing very well at preventing transactions that put you over the limit. Of course I wouldn't take this as a guarantee.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They will be happy to use every opportunity for charging you for going over the limit and for not paying the cashback.
    Do you have any evidence for this?

I accidently tried to go over my limit (an out of stock item left a reservation without my knowledge) and the transaction was refused.

I would not suggest anyone relies on this.

Also when I got very close to my limit I got an SMS.

I would say they are behaving very responsibly and would like to know the basis on which the above comments were made please.

No connection but I am questioning the validity of the claim made by grumbler.
  • grumbler
    edited 7 December 2012 at 1:11PM
    Options
    That's interesting to know, but no way I'll try to check this at the cost of £112+. Neither would I advise anybody to do this.
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I ... would like to know the basis on which the above comments were made please.
    Common sense.
    As they have the fee for going over the limit, you cannot rely on them stopping you from doing this.
    It makes no business sense to stop you from going over the limit by small amounts. It's beyond me why they do this.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    That's interesting to know, but no way I'll try to check this at the cost of £112+. Neither would I advise anybody to do this.
    Common sense.
    As they have the fee for going over the limit, you cannot rely on them stopping you from doing this.
    It makes no business sense to stop you from going over the limit by small amounts. It' beyond me why they do this.

Unless they are trying to run an ethical business, and to attract more customers by being fair to the ones that they have. So far I have been very happy with everything about them, but I have not yet given them any opportunities to put me out of pocket.
  • gglaze
    gglaze Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Unless they are trying to run an ethical business, and to attract more customers by being fair to the ones that they have. So far I have been very happy with everything about them, but I have not yet given them any opportunities to put me out of pocket.

To be fair, if they are actually doing that, it might be one of the first cases in recorded history of a credit card company doing so...
    ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport