Starting again, 1% at a time. 100 ways to make £80!

Options

Comments

• asoe209
    asoe209 Posts: 358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just sold my old phone on gumtree so depositing that into the bank tomorrow at that will go toward my % for this month to.
  • tra_2
    tra_2 Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all. Hope everyone is OK
    Got another £25 sitting in my paypal account which makes 105 up to 11%.

Put another 12 items on ebay today. Got loads piled up to go on but the kids kept interrupting. Not that I mind, little and last one starts school in a couple of weeks so its all about just being with them at the moment. I'm happy to do what I can for now and then go full steam ahead once they are back at school. May stop me sobbing over the little one not being here! :(
    Member 105 of 1% at a time - 23/100 :j
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's a great idea but my husband is on call every night so I wouldn't be able to do any part time work. And unfortunately non of my friends and family are in a position to pay me to clean/iron etc :( I know I'm more than lucky to not work and be with my kids but I don't feel like I contribute enough iygwim?

We will also be home educating so there will be no school time for me to work either though I'm hoping by the time bump is at school age we will be totally debt free (except mortgage!)
    liz-paul wrote: »
    Hi Sarah, I know how you feel, my 2 kids are now 6 & 3 and I haven't really been able to work while they are little as childcare costs would outweigh the benefit. 1 suggestion that might work is do you have any friends/family that you could do casual cleaning or ironing for? e.g. fit it in when you can? Or a few people I know (not relevant for you yet due to impending birth) work as waitresses/bar staff P/T when their partners are home from work and can watch the kids. It's not easy but I know a couple of girls who just do it around 3 nights a week and it earns them a bit of money, gets them out of the house and still allows them to have family time. Good luck with everything, I dare say new baby will take up a fair bit of time lol

Today I have become a fully registered childminder! It only took 6 bloomin months (not counting all the studying I did last year!). It's going to take another couple of weeks to my insurance and what not sorted but then I can start working again :T It's quite a relief as we seriously went through our finances at the weekend and if either of us ever wants to retire, give up work, study again, travel or anything else then we need more income as well using our current income more sensibly! Just have to try and find some clients now!
    Still stuck at 6% but aiming towards 10%, I will get there soon!
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • FatPuddingMumma
    Options
    Happytails
    We'll be homeschooling our LO too x
    Formerly known as CAFCGirl
    A decade of dawdling stops today 7/5/13

Number 1 for the Debt Chop : Volkswagen £337
    £63.00/£337 Squirrelled away in Paypal
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happytails

That's good to hear! We get a lot of negativity about it, guess it's because its not conforming :o how old is your lo? My eldest would be starting school next September x
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    happytails wrote: »
    That's good to hear! We get a lot of negativity about it, guess it's because its not conforming :o how old is your lo? My eldest would be starting school next September x
    Sorry to crash but I am really interested to find out how you go about home schooling, do you follow a curriculum? Where do you find your material and what guidelines do you have o follow, if any. Thanks
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    You'll think of something eventually Sarah! I was taught at home and loved it!
    BTW my cousin is a single mum who home schools and self employed earning well enough to keep them all comfortably so it can be done (hers are older than yours though...)
    Also, you blooming well are contributing in bringing up kids and looking after house & home!!!
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    happytails wrote: »
    We will also be home educating so there will be no school time for me to work either though I'm hoping by the time bump is at school age we will be totally debt free (except mortgage!)
    Happytails

We HE as well ds is 7 & dd is 3. As you say no school time for me to work either. But equally I'm not struggerling to get back from a job to collect them from school and stressing about childcare in the holidays nor finding the money for school uniforms. We love it and have no plans to send our 2 to school ever unless they request it and have a reasoned argument for going. So I've probably got another 15 years HE to go.

I stumbled on this thread this morning and I've found it very motivational. I need to go away and have a look through our finaces to see what we need and ways to get there 1 % at a time.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • ElleWoods
    ElleWoods Posts: 421 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    liz-paul wrote: »
    BTW my cousin is a single mum who home schools and self employed earning well enough to keep them all comfortably so it can be done

Please can I ask what your cousin does for a living, Liz-Paul? I'm a single parent and would love to go self employed but would need to earn enough to keep us both as I don't get maintenance, so it's all down to my sole income. I love hearing other people's success stories, it's very inspirational!
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Cuba cat - I'm a bit vague on it as we've only just really got back in touch after a few years. It is an online business, She started out selling stones with messages on them and has expanded in some way. She makes it work by doing most of her work at night. Sorry it's a bit vague. I guess it is only really possible if doing something online.
    If you only have one child then maybe you could consider childminding? It won't make you a millionaire but you can get a decent living and ift it around your own child. If you're in England then look at NCMA website for info. Chilminding isn't a great income if you have more than 1 (or maybe 2) kids who are under 5 as they take up some of your spaces. I'm also not sure how it could work for home educators. I guess you could do it part time such as after school hours only.....
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills