PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Comments

• calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Thanks for the input guys:)

I think I have got 'stuck' due to practically mass hysteria at work due to ward closing and job losses etc.........but , getting fed-up about it isn't going to change anything so I need to stop it.

BYATT......thanks for the 5 minute reminder , when I have posted this I am going to get up and do 5 mins , which will get rid of the dishes at least (often awake at stupid o'clock as work nights)

GQUEEN......you have done really well with the shed , I didn't know plastic bags turn to platic snow !:eek: . I have been thinking about your post and think you are right in that I need to get rid of the 'floaters' so as to feel better about it all. I like the wword 'floaters ' for it. The pile of jeans I sorted last week are still in lounge after washing them....now cat has been sleeping on them for a week.

JOJO......Land of the big bag of candles:rotfl: I buy nearlt a tonne of these every november , can hardly lift the bag. Your bathroom sounds great......and so does your salad !, that sounds lovely. Do send some pics.

SO.......plan is , get up now and do dishes. Tomorrow sort out the 'foaters'......and hopefully do the bathroom as this will be the easiest area to do as will look clean and tidy with the least amount of effort and motivate me to keep going bit by bit.

Thanks all , and good luck .
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    You guys are really inspiring me - I havent decluttered anything in the last couple of days however the place is looking great - all clean and TIDY :)

I have a two visible hotspots still to do; the utility room worksurface which has some gardening stuff and picnic bag/plastic plates etc that all need put away and the bookshelves which are just a little bit overfull and given Ive had a kindle since xmas some books are due to go and I need a really pretty large box to put my unmatching photo albums in.

If anyone sees a nice box please let me know :) Room is neutrals and purple.
    Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011 :j
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    JoJo - that bathroom sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Today back to feeling rough, but at least I've stopped being sick. So I am going to knit. I need to get rid of the yarn mountain. Some of it is definitely just going to be donated but some I want to keep because I like it and because I want to knit it. But I don't want it to hang around, so I had better get on and use the stuff! A duvet day with knitting needles!

Lots of hugs to all!
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • calicocat
    :eek::eek: OMG......how many 'floaters' can one person have in a small flat , have sorted through the 'paper floaters' ...and now have aroung 11 different piles to file away. I have been doing this for 2 hours !, and hovered bedroom.....what I really need to do at some point is change the carpets , however because my flat is so small I would have to do it room by room as nowhere to put anything. I have been putting this off for a couple of years now , and am wondering if I should just bite the bullet whilst I'm off for a few days , or september is my next holiday .......decisions decisions !!.........why can't I just make the decision ?!

Going to get something to eat now I think , and then plough on with something......or maybe stare at the carpet and everything I would have to move .:o

Good luck to those chucking 'stuff':)
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • calicocat
    P.S....... Hope you feel better soon wannabe.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2012 at 2:29PM
    Jo-Jo, your home improvements sound fab, very inspiring. Are the purple clover flowers the ones you see out and about. I didn't know they were edible, they do look so pretty though. And yes, post pics! Please. :)

I'm in not quite got the energy for stuff mood, but will also try the 5 mins thing. Getting over a kidney infection (3 in the last couple of months, although Dr now has come up with a possible solution) has taken its toll so the last couple of days have been resting....uuhhmmm...and resting.

Will put a few things into the car ready for CS though.

Sybil take it easy. You sound like you've been through the mill.

Calico, I have to keep reminding myself about the 5 mins when I feel totally overwhelmed.

edit, I am going to cat flap the log basket. Niece has said she wants it, which I guessed she would but after Vj's mum mentioned about asking first, I thought it might be a good idea, rather than leaving it on the doorstep...and running...
    at least it's going to a good home. :)

Oh, and I've put 2 items on fleabay.
  • calicocat
    Well five mins has turned into 9hrs !!.....have shoved papar piles in kitchen for now , have hand washed my bedroom carpet and hall carpet with proper carpet stuff......but it now just seems sticky :eek:
    And I didn't use loads of carpet stuff , now I have wet and sticky carpets. I may have to see if I can borrow a steam cleaner now....has anyone done this on carpets ? I have always wondered WHERE the muck goes with those things though. Anyhow I may now have totally ruined carpets and have no choice but to replace.
    Place looks tidier and cleaner though.

I have had enough of it all now so signing off for today and going for a bath ,some food ,and tv.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Took today off totally, but dh is home tonight and we are going to finish the bookshelves to make way for the rest of the house clearance for the builders....
  • calicocat
    Oh god I have just remembered a friends daughter threw bold washing powder all over carpets instead of the carpet freshener........= sticky carpets !! Obviously I vaccumed it up but there must be some still in it. Anyone got any brilliant ideas to remedy this ??????
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    calicocat wrote: »
    GQUEEN......you have done really well with the shed , I didn't know plastic bags turn to platic snow !:eek: . I have been thinking about your post and think you are right in that I need to get rid of the 'floaters' so as to feel better about it all. I like the wword 'floaters ' for it. The pile of jeans I sorted last week are still in lounge after washing them....now cat has been sleeping on them for a week.
    :) Don't panic, it's only the degradable kind that do this! A minority! Thank goodness because it's a helluva mess and I was trying to get it all before it blew out the shed door and into the allotment.
    calicocat wrote: »
    Oh god I have just remembered a friends daughter threw bold washing powder all over carpets instead of the carpet freshener........= sticky carpets !! Obviously I vaccumed it up but there must be some still in it. Anyone got any brilliant ideas to remedy this ??????
    :) That's a toughie. Have you thought about starting a thread to see if you can get the answer? Odds are someone on Old Style will know..............

I want to share a happy little thing which happened to me today. As I came home from work, friend and neighbour SuperGran was coming home too. So I invited her in for a cuppa and a chat. The first thing she said when she walked into my sitting room (all 9 x 12 feet of it) was to exclaim over its tidiness. This has never happened before.

I looked around in astonishment; I have a 3 seater sofa covered with carp, table, wall unit and another cupboard piled high and SG, who sees my home several times a week, thought it was TIDY?! Then the penny dropped; the only thing on the floor was the rubbish bin.

Clear floors, people, it's the way to go. And among the things I decluttered in June was a handful of photies. I mailed them to a pal whom I've sort of lost touch with, because she and several of her friends were in them (I was obviously behind the camera) and although they didn't mean anything in particular to me, I thought she might like them.

I had a card from her today. Two of the women in the photos have died recently, which is a helluva shock to me as they can't have been much over 50. She'd been going through her photos and realised that she had no pics of one of them and only 3 of the other, despite a friendship with that second woman lasting 30 years. And I could so easily have ripped them up and binned them, but mercifully didn't. Thank goodness for decluttering; it's put something precious into her life and removed a few grammes of clutter from mine.

I made a flying pass to the lottie today as the weather is turning wet again soon and I did a dump run with two of the bin bags I prepped earlier. Acres of space in that allotment shed now, the spiders will have to take up line dancing to fill all the spaces..............:rotfl:

Just been talking to my brother tonight (the one with hoarderish tendancies) and with some gentle encouragement he is tackling his hoard. He has divested himself of 2 huge bags of videos today to a c.s. who were pleased to have them and found a soon-to-be-overdue library book so he is well-pleased. He will do some more tomorrow.........

Stay strong...........GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills