PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    I thought I was the only one who did this, :eek: I thought I was slightly insane for doing it too! Glad to know I'm not alone

Mwahhah! Maybe we both are!
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • kandfs_mam
    kandfs_mam Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    My God, this thread is theraputic. We go on holiday on Monday so I thought I would sort out my holiday clothes. I have been through all of my drawers and tried stuff on and loads of it is too big so I bagged it and took it to the CS before I started reasoning that I should keep it in case I put the weight back on again :eek:. In one drawer under the bed that hasn't been touched for 3 years since we were last on hols I found a load of holiday clothes that had been a bit neat but now fit perfectly so I sorted them into the pile for taking on hols. by the time I had finished I realised that I didn't need the new clothes that I had bought - stuff that I would only wear on hols like shorts, wee dresses etc - so i decided there and then I was going to take them back to the shop and get a refund. I got as far as the car then doubled back and picked up and flattened half a dozen cardboard boxes that had been cluttering up the "play room" (ie the junk room) and threw them in the boot of the car to drop off at the tip on the way to Matalan.

So here I am an hour later feeling all smug having got rid of 2 bags of clothes, 6 cardboard boxes and a £49 refund in my bank account to boot! :D
    Mortgage Aug 22 £280,000
    Current mortgage  £28,000

• mollythewestie
    mollythewestie Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I have just been thinking about my lowest point of my hoarding and realising how far I have come.

I tend to have one room for my "hoard" and that room in this house is the study. The only room that is not used regularly, however I'm sure that is because it is unuseable most of the time.

In fact my husband used to work from home from time to time, but it got so bad in there he doesn't have space to work anymore.

About a year ago that room was so filled with stuff: every wall was lined with bookcases full to the brim, 2 or 3 books deep on each shelf. I had boxes, bags and general clutter piled high, you could no longer open the door properly and had to squeeze my way in.
    I have now cleared most of the floor, there is still 2 piles of things in the corner, but I will get to them soon.
    And all the book cases are still there, but I have sent a few dozen books to the charity shop and took some to a car boot.

It does look a hell of a lot better, it's still not perfect, but I have come a long way.

So my lowest moment was not being able to get into a room for the amount of clutter and also the point a few weeks ago when I put a box ontop of another box - that is the start to a slippery slope I do not want to go down again!
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I am flagging. One of the shelves fell on me, then a friend popped in for coffee. (my sitting room is always presentable, and tbh most of my house is...in its own fashion) the only reason it looks bad now is sorting through stuff and trying to fit all the stuff in a small space, getting stuff from parents and unpacking stuff at the same time. Stupid to have started the latter a few weeks ago. :(

I have a meeting at six and i am surrounded by books that are less ordered than last night and this morning. :(
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a meeting at six and i am surrounded by books that are less ordered than last night and this morning. :(

lir

Just put the burgers back on the shelves in any sort of order NOW.

it may the bottom three shelves that you know need fixing or the right hand side or whatever, but just house them.

Saying that because I have to sort some stuff tomorrow that has been sat since Sunday.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    RAS wrote: »
    lir

Just put the burgers back on the shelves in any sort of order NOW.

it may the bottom three shelves that you know need fixing or the right hand side or whatever, but just house them.

Saying that because I have to sort some stuff tomorrow that has been sat since Sunday.

Bless you RAS!

Done!Thats all the cookery books i could find. I know there are more so i have left a little breathing room for them as i find them over the week.

Once meeting over i shall move on to house and garden ones!
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    VJsmum wrote: »
    <<groan>> MIL has just given me some Danish china plates. They are only about 3" square but there are around 15 of them!!

Munchausen's hoarding by proxy - not v nice.

Got rid of a mattress and two stained duvets today. Need to do more tomorrow.

It can be a slow process. Less and less is coming into my home now, and more and more is going out. I just dropped off a carrier of books at a local church because I was there. Copied, pasted and slightly tidied up from my blog, for a period of over 18 months.

Operation Clutterbust
    Bags to clothes bank - 9 swing bin liners; Black Bin Sacks - 36; Books - 30 carriers; Toys - 4 swing bin liners; Carrier bags - 15 wodges for sale/to local shop to use; Yarn - foul 'chenille' donated to someone who actually likes it; Bric a brac - 6 boxes; Elderly curtains, 46 x 76 not fit for rags; 30 mini naan breads; Non working heater; Side panel of bath bought 1994 and never fitted; Unexploded UHT - 12 litres; Furniture - bookcase, chest of drawers, bureau, clothes basket, small broken chair, bedguard, 2 x cupboard doors; Large bin bag of perfectly good bedding
    15 litres fabric conditioner; Knitting magazines - six carriers; Books - 13 carrier bags; 3 irons and a defunct radio; Clothes to useful destinations - 6 bin bags; Mattress; 2 x stained duvets

I just need to keep going
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • mollythewestie
    mollythewestie Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Munchausen's hoarding by proxy - not v nice.

Just had a prime example of this: I'm looking in the kitchen cupboard for some paper plates, bowls napkins etc. for DDs party, I know they are in there but can't find them.

I found in the cupboard a large bag containing 2 large 3 tired cake stands aquired from my MIL, I mentioned in passing one day about wanted a cake stand, saying that I was waiting till I found "the one" before buying one - low and behold she immediately gave me these 2.
    At the same time telling me how they were given to her as wedding presents, never been used (one is still in the original box) she thought they were vile and I could have them. :cool:

Now I can't part with them as I know they were a wedding present and kept in the family for 40+ years and would feel guilty for not keeping them. But I will never use them, and I was then given "The one" for a christmas present - so I now have 3 cake stands. Anyone for a tea party? :rotfl:
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well my mind has been on the top shelf of the cupboard in the kitchen. I know what is there but have not opened the boxes for over 15 years.

Mum loathed my plain china dinner set etc.

She found this really nice stuff with "a very discrete floral design" in a sale. After three weeks of increasingly desparate phone calls during which the stuff got cheaper, I relented and agreed that she could buy 4 small and large plates and four bowls as a present.

There was an entire crate load of assorted china with far from discrete floral patterns. Tureens with no lids and lids with no tureens etc. She had bought every last item and it filled the boot of the car. So it is in two boxes which I really need to open and clear out.

It may actually be worth flogging through one of those china replacement comapnies but I need to know the designs first. So that may be a job for tomorrow if my shoulder will hold up to the weight of the boxes.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2012 at 7:41PM
    I am calling this line of thought “The Wrecking Ball” (thanks Boss!) after a little accident this morning.

I was trying to reach a rescued ceramic pot by the shed, to plant up for a charity sale. It was on the floor by another one, of the vintage type that I collect, among some rigid plastic ones.

As I squeezed past some seed trays I knocked one, started a chain reaction which ended up with a wire basket falling and smashing a pot.

As luck would have it, it broke the one I was planting for charity.

But it could easily have been my vintage one.... which set me thinking ... if a wrecking ball swept through my house of carp, what treasure would get taken out as collateral damage?

If a wrecking ball swept through your house of carp, due to it being overcrowded, what treasure would get taken out as collateral damage?
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure