PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

BTW, how has this thread reached 33 pages already? :eek:
    because we are collecting posts along with the rest of our carp:D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BTW, how has this thread reached 33 pages already? :eek:

Because it resonates with a lot of people?

I had not read the thread until this evening. Oh boy.

Get mum to let me in the front door, which is wedged with a deck chair because she cannot close it (the doormat is blocking it).

Sort that out.

Kitchen - everything piled high. Empty the sink onto the floor as this is the only space. Try to clean the sink. No hot water. Try to boil the kettle - it stinks and has some sticky substance all over it. Boil a pan on the cooker having moved more stuff. Clean the kettle. Then boil it several times and clean the sink. Can now wash up two cups to make a drink. Wash everything twice before using it.

Upstairs, start at the bedroom door and slowly push stuff backwards so i can get to the bed (adjacent to the door) to remove the stuff that has been piled on that, so I can get into the bed. Two or three hours after arrival, I can just about get into bed and try to sleep.

The fridge and cupboards are full of out of date food. I do not stick to sell by dates but when the gateau is 9 month old...

Everything is under a pile of stuff, one room is totally filled and spilling out. There are at least a dozen of each and every type of cleaner and cloth, none of it used. And half a dozen buckets, pails and bowls.

Ok the gateau was a once off, but I had been there and cleared stuff 2,3,4 weeks previously and it returned.

If she could not find something, she bought a new one. Having been very very poor and having lived through rationing, if something was half price, she had to have several. She had 3 massive wardrobes full of clothes, much completely unworn.

Managed to rein it in a bit when she was too unwell to shop but I am still using up some of those cloths.

The sad thing is that we gave away hundreds and possible thousands of pounds worth of stuff to charities when we cleared the place.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Perfectionism strikes. I moved the shelves and am now getting utterly confused. E.g. Dewey system is not necessarily appropriate for home bookshelves. I think how i would look for cook books (i am starting with cook books) and i think i would go for vegetarian cook books, or indian cook books, so.....what is 'Indian' vegetarian cookery.....indian or vegetarian? I have put it in vegetarian (with a buddhist cook books too, which is also uncomfortable)but its not easy. I am finding this stressful!! Then the static shelf has meant one narrow bookshelf, so i am trying to justify a section of short cookery books, ignoring all other classifications.

Tomorrows shelf is either going to be animals or gardening or small holding, I might be able to get some of all three, and again, there is crossover.

Sheesh, maybe i should go back to dewey...hmm...i know a librarian on mse...

I am leaving lots of room for more cookbooks, but that is all the cookery books off the floor, and
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    what is 'Indian' vegetarian cookery.....indian or vegetarian?
    Go for alphabetical :rotfl:- perfect system, choice of author's surname or first word of title
    Once you are tidy you can subdivide into categories and use alphabetical within the category
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    At the moment I think the cookery classification is enough unless you have 1000s of cookery books. Later when you have more breathing space it won't take long to do a quick swap around. We have a lot of books (maybe 3500ish) and only adult fiction for keeping is in alphabetical order, the rest is in genres (DH's Egyptology books, film studies, anthropology, history etc, kids and then all proofs and samples I have yet to read are scattered wherever there is space - or even where there isn't space at the moment. As long as you know which bookcase to look in, it doesn't take long to locate a book.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all.

Lostinrates, I feel for you as home organising isn't exactly compatible with professional archiving/ storage/ whatever. A pal of mine with a serious book habit sorts her bookcase by the colours of the spine. The books' spines, not her personal one, I mean. :o

She finds the colour-blocking aesthetically-pleasing and finds it easy to remember that X book is in Y colour so she'll look among the Y colours and finds it soon enough. It isn't a perfect system, however, as she can be flummoxed by books with the cover and spine a different colour; e.g. visual memory may tell her she's looking for a green book because that's the colour of the cover but the spine is in black so it's shelved among the black books. Publishers need to be more considerate, IMO, to the color-blockers of this world.

Today I was almost out on my feet at work (so tired) but rallied a bit after food and decided to hare up to the allotment in the rain to grab some more carp and do another dump run. So I did.

I have dragged out the rusty bike wheel mounted on a metal spike which I sometimes used to mount on a 10 foot tall and slightly bent rusted section of narrow pipework. I would then tie strings from the rim of the bike wheel to tent pegs in the ground and grow runner beans up them. It was like a giant flower...............:rotfl:

:D:p:o That [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] will seem bonkers but it looked quite cute but I haven't bothered with it since I got proper bean canes and it has been kicking around outside on the lottie. I took it to the dump and one of the staff came over to assist me (they are always helpful there, esp to me; think it's out of pity because I'm on a bike and everyone else has cars and vans).

Man; "Is that your spare wheel?!"

GQ; "I never go out without one!"

The black sack of carp contained the following; several flimsy one-use plastic flowerpots all brittle and split, 6 knitted orange plastic string bags which onions come in, the heavy duty cloth stripped off a divan base which I thought I might do something with (gawd knows what) and the woven-plastic sacking type cloth from the same place, ditto.

I also found, in a grubby plastic bag, the two bungee cords which I lost 2 years ago and a small empty bottle of Belgian beer. Cannot imagine how that got in there. :whistle: I'd had to replace those bungee cords (OK, with a pack of 3 from the 99p store) but it was an unnecessary expense.

I have also found the rose bit off the second watering can (MIA for 12 months) but have yet to unearth the scissors.

This is damned exciting stuff. I can see most of the floor and even stand on it. I'm finding long-lost stuff. I'm encountering large critters with 8 legs and not screaming like a girlie.........

Actually, it's even better than it appears as there are the 4 pint plastic milk bottles in there which I need to recycle but can't as I have to use on-street banks and the won't take anything bigger than the 2 pinters. That's quite a bit of volume which will go to the parents' when they next come this way and will exit via their recycling wheelie bin. Plus they can take the giant roll of blisterpack (bubblewrap's fatter cousin) to my brother.

Righty, going to drink tea and see what is happening on Hoarding Woes and Tetanus Burger (hint, look at their review of 2011 and the rescue kittens. Look at the one called Ratty. Prepare to perish from cute-poisoning).

Keep strong, people, the clutter can't run away from us. If we keep on after it, we cannot help but win.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 July 2012 at 9:02PM
    Options
    I spaced my book shelves wrong, but its more than half full, and i know i will not finich if i unload it now. :(.

I have also found three books i have two of. :( at least they will make the charity shop money again, unless a friend wants them.
    Four now.
    Possession wrote: »
    At the moment I think the cookery classification is enough unless you have 1000s of cookery books. Later when you have more breathing space it won't take long to do a quick swap around. We have a lot of books (maybe 3500ish) and only adult fiction for keeping is in alphabetical order, the rest is in genres (DH's Egyptology books, film studies, anthropology, history etc, kids and then all proofs and samples I have yet to read are scattered wherever there is space - or even where there isn't space at the moment. As long as you know which bookcase to look in, it doesn't take long to locate a book.

Yeah, i have, um, a few. Remind me of the thread title. I have no odea at all how many books we own in total.

Right. They are only here till late autumn anyway, then moving again, on the shelves they finish going.
  • manchestermargo
    Options
    OK Greyqueen, I give up, what's tetanus Burger!
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 July 2012 at 9:20PM
    Options
    https://www.tetanusburger.blogspot.com - a good humoured blog about hoarded jalopies and VW vehicles

http://hoardingwoes.wordpress.com/ - a frightening portent of what we might become/awe inspiring work of one man and the two hoarded houses of his mother and his aunt.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I'm encountering large critters with 8 legs and not screaming like a girlie.........
    Respect. Squared.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure