PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• KAT44_2
    Options
    Whoa, catching up on the posts is becoming a full time job :grin:

Elona - Hope your DD gets a diagnosis that is good news and is home soon, thinking of you both and sending hugs.

Jettycat - Well done with the ebay sales, hope your postage works out, mine never does, lol.

Sybil and Brighton belle - What's going on with these dreams, I woke up practically hyperventilating last night as I was dreaming that dh came home and told me he'd been offered a job abroad that he couldn't turn down and we had a week to pack and get rid of everything. He was walking round the house slinging stuff into boxes and bin bags and I was so mad at him that I actually hated him this morning, not that the poor man had a clue what he was supposed to have done :rotfl:

Most of my ebay stuff has been posted or collected now, just one bike to go and that's being collected tomorrow. Got 4 more items on today (why does it take me so long to do each item :() but these are actually items that I bought to put on ebay many moons ago, when I gave up work.

Have finally talked dh into getting rid of the ridiculously expensive and huge recumbent exercise bike that he bought when he had his knee replaced and that has sat like a parked up mobility scooter, gathering dust, at the back of my lounge ever since. So once that's gone I will have a huge gap and be able to access my patio doors again :T.

Also managed to stop my self from "filing" the labels that I pulled off dd and ds's school uniform because they had washing instructions and other info on them. They went straight in the bin now I just need to find the ones I filed last year (and never looked at again) and the year before that :o and bin those as well.
    Be strong because things will get better...it might be stormy now but it can't rain forever!!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I keep dreaming dd has just walked out of hospital with drip attached and it freaked the whatever out of me. Had to get up at six and make a pot of tea.

Should learn not to google diseases and symptoms as in absence of clear official results I have searched quite a few sites and it freaked me out even:eek: more

My dh is talking about getting an exercise bike but the suggestion that he place it in the garage or his beloved big potting shed seems to have dampened his enthusiasm a bit. A few other suggestions of where he should put it would have really lessened his resolve ;)

Need to take youngest shopping this morning for uni stuff and want to treat her to lunch. Will ask dh to ring us on mobile if any news from hospital so I don't let anybody down.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today I have to take our new catling to the v-e-t for his second jabs but I'll have the day free after that and it's a nice day so I think I'll do another garden declutter run. I've got the last of the Quadro climbing frame to take down (it's going to a friend) and a whole pile of things like the old slide, sandpit, wood etc that needs to go. I'm just going to back the car up to the gate, flat the back seats down (it's an estate car) and keep stuffing things in till it's full then go to the dump. Good plan?

If I get enough out the garden I can mow the lawn under where the climbing frame is and then lay out the shape for the new fruit bed. I'm going to put in a plum tree, some more soft fruit bushes and a lavender border. All very useful and OS, yes? I've got all the plants ready (except for the plum tree), I've grown them all from cuttings and seed over the summer.

Then I can tidy/derichard the greenhouse ready for the winter. I've got a world class collection of yoghurt pots and cut down 2l bottles in there that really need to go out. There's great potential for hoarding in a greenhouse you know! Anyway, I though I'd keep going in the garden. Best to do it in the decent weather after all and as I've got a deadline to work to (for moving from the allotment) I feel motivated.
    Val.
  • Jettycat
    Options
    The wastepaper bin arrived today. And I immediately took all the packing material out and into the recycling bin, it barely touched the carpet. I have found that speed is of the essence, because even a split second makes me look at the box and think - that looks sturdy, I'm sure it would be useful later. Tough, it's in the bin.

Well done. I've got quite good at the speed thing with the post now. If I don't have time to get attached to something or look through the catalogue then I can't miss it. I'll have to try it for boxes and bubble wrap ... oooh I love bubble wrap :o!
    Byatt wrote: »
    My plan tomorrow is to act...I am going to pretend I'm in someone else's house and start clearing...I will let you know how I get on.

This is a FANTASTIC idea - I'm going to try it!
    valk_scot wrote: »
    Today I have to take our new catling to the v-e-t for his second jabs but I'll have the day free after that and it's a nice day so I think I'll do another garden declutter run. I've got the last of the Quadro climbing frame to take down (it's going to a friend) and a whole pile of things like the old slide, sandpit, wood etc that needs to go. I'm just going to back the car up to the gate, flat the back seats down (it's an estate car) and keep stuffing things in till it's full then go to the dump. Good plan?

Yes, good plan! I need to do that too, but not today, today is ebay posting day 2. Day 1 ok, postage broke even!
    x
  • valk_scot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Filled the car, just about to go to the dump. There's another half car load of "It might be useful!" stuff lying on the garden path though! I am going to try to put it all straight in the car when I get back from the dump and am feeling flushed with sucess as once it's in there I don't think I'll take it back out again and I'll be passing said dump again tomorrow morning en route to the allotment.

The garden is starting to look a bit naked tbh...I am going to reward myself with that posh plum tree I've been thinking about once I've got that last load of dross out, I think. And I need a nice planter to fit over the manhole cover at the side of the lawn now that the sandpit that previously covered it is going. That can be my reward after I've got rid of some of the junk in the utility room. Does that seem fair? I know it seems a bit daft buying myself a new thing for getting rid of old things but it's on a ratio of about one new to fifty old!
    Val.
  • alec_eiffel
    Options
    Sounds more than fair to me! It's not daft at all because you're getting rid of the old (life) and making space for the new, to the things you really love, want and find important in life and not just "stuff".
  • mollythewestie
    Options
    Elona - Thinking of you and your DD (((BIG HUGS))) :)

wannabe sybil - Loving the phrase "doing the declutter dance" :D

Not much to report, I put 3 more items on ebay last night. 2 of which are quite large and bulky items that I will be glad to see the back of.

We still have a large pile of old magazines on the kitchen table that haven't had much interest on gumtree, and the person who DH thought might like them, hasn't got back to him yet.
    I just want them gone now and don't care if they just go in the recycling box. I am just sick of seeing the darn things. :mad:
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • valk_scot
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh, and I found £3.50 under the back seat of the car when I folded it up to put the junk in. Definate reward!

Right, off to the dump. And Lidl......
    Val.
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options

Not much to report, I put 3 more items on ebay last night. 2 of which are quite large and bulky items that I will be glad to see the back of.

We still have a large pile of old magazines on the kitchen table that haven't had much interest on gumtree, and the person who DH thought might like them, hasn't got back to him yet.
    I just want them gone now and don't care if they just go in the recycling box. I am just sick of seeing the darn things. :mad:

There's usually someone on Freecycle/Freegle who will take them off your hands. :)
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • alec_eiffel
    Options

If you want them out of the house then just get rid. You can do it guilt free as you tried to pass them on and there were no takers so now your willingness to do the right thing is holding you back. Say goodbye and forget about them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure