PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• Brighton_belle
    Options
    Well done, that is really great work :T
    Yes it is. Great process with DD too that worked. :T
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • wannabe_sybil
    Options
    Elona - Huge hugs, I hope you are coping and that your daughter feels a lot better soon. hugs hugs hugs hugs

sjprmc01 - You are definitely fighting against the tide. Can you work with your kids so that they choose what goes out to make room for what comes in? How on earth can you be expected to run the clothes to any sort of rhythm? Good luck, especially after all the work.

Could you just say, right, not ironing but spread out a sheet or two in the garden and just sort everything? Put it all into bags that will not be confused with rubbish bags or cardboard boxes. Do it when you know you will be able to just grab the right pile and disappear to the charity shop/shop that buys clothes/dump? Hope you feel better soon.

Darling father has brought in two lego models and one mechano models. Previous experience shows that they fragment and scatter. This is normal for five year olds, and little bear is busy working out how best to use a screw driver to screw in the lid to the battery compartment. So far today, nothing out but too much in. Sigh.

Hugs to all.

Edited to add

Alec eiffel - I hope you don't mind, but that is another idea I am shamelessly stealing from this thread.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    GQ

I am telling myself that if I use something then it is not clutter - collection of teabags, tinned tomatoes (with garlic - do I get extra points?) DD goes to university in less than two weeks and still need to get her nice bedding, duvet, pillows, small fry pan, crockery etc. Instead of getting a set of 12 or 20 items we have decided to get two of everything, plate, side plate bowl and use what we have if she likes it and it is suitable.

Oldest dd got taken to A&E last night and was admitted for kidney tests so looks like the next few days will be a bit frantic. Thought they would just check for possible appendix problem and then send her home with anti sickness tablets so disconcerted when she was admitted and glad I had packed a bag for her in about two minutes flat.

Hug to all
    :) Deffo double-points for added garlic. That's gotta be 2 of your 5 a day in one can. Any news about DD? Hope she'd going to be home and well soon. Hospitals have a disconcerting habit of taking you into their keeing all of a sudden and there you are without so much a toothbrush to keep you company (got the t shirt on this one). Happened to my 80 y.o uncle last week.
    Valk - re the allotment shed - can you offer stuff to other allottment holders. Take what you know you will definitely use and offer the rest as a shed clearance (free) deal? There are bound to be some up there who will leap on any useless crud as vital 'could be uselful one day' stuff:D

I've definitely had to work on the 'what if world disaster strikes' scenario to get rid of stuff. But still find it impossible to get rid of excess screws and nails...on the basis of in a de industrialised world, the nail horder is [STRIKE]king[/STRIKE] queen:o:D.

I absolutely love only having one spare set of bedding and one spaire set of towels though, and our 2 plates, two bowls, 4 mugs etc etc. Makes my heart sing and couldn't bare to have any more. And yet I find it agony getting rid of a packet clothes pegs we never ever use: where's the mystified shruggy shoulder smilie when you need it?

Byatt -thanks for identifying with what I wrote yesterday - always makes it so worth while getting it out there when someone else realises they are not alone in this process.
    ;) Are we related? I have several jars (neatly sorted by type, of course). Come the revolution some of us will be very well situated in the respect of hardware. I admit to an affection for hardware stores more normal ladies might feel for beauty salons and hairdressers.

I've read about minimalists with very small amounts of crockery etc and have always been filled with admiration. I'm single but sometimes end up feeding 2-4 others. How do you cope if more people than crocks needing feeding and watering?

:o I'm hanging out online for a while to let the area of floor and wall which I've washed dry as have the cooker out. Not done for 10 months, how do those 'orrible little bits of blackened calcified gawdknowswhat get under there? Haven't a cat to blame so it'll be my own slovenliness.

I have used soda crystals and scalding hot water and marigolded up. Feel proper housewifely and decidely OS.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mollythewestie
    Options
    Well done valk_scott on the great work in the playhouse:T

I just sorted through my knicker drawer :o.

I got rid of 3 times the amount I thought I would. I now have an organized drawer of a managable amount of pants for all occasions :rotfl:. One pair were at least 14 years old as they were the first matching underwear sets I bought when I was 17 and had my first proper job, needless to say, they were binned :D. Why had I kept them for so long? I hadn't worn, or fitted in them, for years!
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    BB, it's good to know others feel the same or do the same, :)
    Sybil, I love, love your blog...btw, people put links marked homepage on your account page.

Well done so many of you :T:T and :A

For other's like me in the doldrums, :( our time will come.:D

I have been mentally mulling over things and come to the decision that even more kitchen casserole stuff can go, which in turn will reduce the washing up as well as giving me more space...I tend to use everything, and then wash it, :o

I am also decluttering my hair tomorrow, by having a hair cut, the first time in a year. It's down to my waist almost, and not an especially good look, although all I do is tie it back in a pony tail. I shall be several gram lighter...:rotfl:
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

;) Are we related? I have several jars (neatly sorted by type, of course). Come the revolution some of us will be very well situated in the respect of hardware. I admit to an affection for hardware stores more normal ladies might feel for beauty salons and hairdressers.
    Yes,we probably are:D I feel much the same vis a vis hard stores vs hairdressers. We have an independent hardware store in town where you can buy invidual fixings, rather than the huge pkts as per major DIY stores:A.You are welcome to come and play with my workmate and scroll saw anytime sister:rotfl:. Come the revolution we will have to sign a treaty to align our screw sufficient kingdoms against the masses.

I've read about minimalists with very small amounts of crockery etc and have always been filled with admiration. I'm single but sometimes end up feeding 2-4 others. How do you cope if more people than crocks needing feeding and watering?
    Ok, well first of all we very rarely entertain at home - I have recently got rid of the last vestages of that apirational clutter known as a dining table and 4 chairs. It simply isn't going to happen based on the last 10 yrs. I meet girlfriends for lunch/coffee and love doing that and for my DH, home is our private sanctury (and library...).

I did however recently feed 4 of us and so we used our 2 pasta bowls and our 2 dinner plates.
    Then we had our 2 side plates and 2 pudding bowls for pudding. The 4 mugs we own was fine obviously. If I was going to feed more than that , I think I would ask them to bring a plate or bowl with them. But I can't imagine more guests happening.
    We sat on our 4 seats in our lovely sunny bright sitting room upstairs. No other chairs available:D
    Washing up simply can't pile up in our house. And we have just got rid our of unused dishwasher to family. When I serve just tea and cake to visitors we use the 2 side plates, and a pudding bowl for DH. I don't like cake, so no need for a 4th.
    I have just returned from charity shop - managed to take the poster in the A6 clip frame with no problem...didn't manage to take the wicker basket full of bits and bobs though...another day,it will happen.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DD wired up to bits of machinery and they are doing a battery of tests but most focused on her kidneys.Bought her new pjs, toiletries and toiletry bag and we visited this afternoon.
    She moves wards tonight so we are going back to visit tonight with one of her sisters.

Not much done but managing to get us fed and laundry done between visits etc. Tidied her room while she was poorly and it looks a lot better. DH amazed how quickly I can make us a light meal as we dashed back home for a couple of hours. Trying not to worry but all the tests make it sound like she is falling to bits.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't see myself getting down to as many place settings as people in this house tbh. Even when out camping I've got a couple of spare plates and bowls for prep work, though not obviously in the uberlightweight kit where you eat out the cooking pot lid. I've got a twelve place setting of Royal Doulton Ironstone which belonged to my mum and which dates from the 70's, I remember being with her when she bought it. Great stuff, I've never actually seen a broken or chipped piece in forty years and it would double up as frisbee type weapons for the zombies, it's that strong. So I don't own any other crockery but that.
    Val.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    DD wired up to bits of machinery and they are doing a battery of tests but most focused on her kidneys.Bought her new pjs, toiletries and toiletry bag and we visited this afternoon.
    She moves wards tonight so we are going back to visit tonight with one of her sisters.

Not much done but managing to get us fed and laundry done between visits etc. Tidied her room while she was poorly and it looks a lot better. DH amazed how quickly I can make us a light meal as we dashed back home for a couple of hours. Trying not to worry but all the tests make it sound like she is falling to bits.

Positive thoughts being sent. :A
  • ModestyB
    ModestyB Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Wishing your DD well. (((((Hugs)))))
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked £337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue. :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure