PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• monaebrook
    Options

Edited to say to elona - thank you for the hugs! I have been to the doctors about this before, and he wants to send me to counselling. I have had bad experiences of counselling, and to be quite honest, have not had the physical energy to get there. It's been going on for years and I feel a bit fed up, but if the doctor won't do anything, he won't do anything. I am getting the results for kidney/thyroid/liver function as well (asked for by another doctor) on Friday, so fingers crossed that there will be a clue there. I take berocca every day. I dread to think what I would be like without industrial amounts of vitamins.

Good morning, I have been reading this thread since the beginning - but never posted before. WS, your post struck such a chord with me!! For years (And years and years and years.....) I was permanently exhausted, somedays I simply struggled to function. Many visits to GP and dismissed as being a 'busy working mum with her own business, what do you expect - of course you will be tired!'.
    Anyway, last year a throwaway comment on one of my visits to GP seemed to strike a chord, I explained that I felt more exhausted now than I had done when I brought very premature twins home from hospital 11 years ago!
    She sent me for some tests, fully expecting to find nothing, and I had the ususal - kidey, thyroid, iron etc. Anyway, they did find something wrong and I WASNT going mad as I had been starting to think!
    It was discovered that I had not been producing sufficient cortisol and that this was casusing the exhaustion. (Fatigue just is not a strong enough word for how I feel sometimes!) Many referrals and tests later i have been on daily steroids since October and my ife has changed totally. I still have to manage the condition and recently gave up work because of it, but I am at least able to remain awake for a whole day now - which is a huge imporvement, was also able to start taking on my own housework etc again.
    So, keep at your GP, it took me years but FINALLY someone listened to me and did the correct test.
    :j:j:j:j:j
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    For me, I keep my keys on a hook behind the porch door. It is not recommended by crime prevention but I can always find my keys and I am really, really uppity about always being able to put my keys away before anything else - not easy to stay focused when you live with three males and an evil cat.

i keep my keys in a glass jar on a bookshelf which is next to my door, so the keys are near the door but not accessible or seen from the outside. is there anywhere near your door you could keep a dish or pot just for your keys so they are safer?
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out go...

3 baking trays
    5 cake tins
    1 bun tin
    1 teapot
    some cleaning equipment to my aunty
    1 casserole dish with lid
    very dusty pot pourri
    2 glass bowls that actually aren't that nice
    1 broken plant pot (have repotted the kitchen plant and it is very happy with its big pot)
    2 decorative plant pots (I overwater with them - better to use a pot saucer)

Think DH is getting a little tense.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 August 2012 at 1:16PM
    Options
    i keep my keys in a glass jar on a bookshelf which is next to my door, so the keys are near the door but not accessible or seen from the outside. is there anywhere near your door you could keep a dish or pot just for your keys so they are safer?

I've thought about this. Originally they were hung up when little bear was crawling.

The situation is front door, then small porch, then porch door. On the inside of the porch door is a hanger for keys and the door curtain is over it. So while it isn't totally secure, it could be worse. The biggest security problem is me remembering to see OH off to bed then unlock the porch door, take two steps to the outside door, lock that, then come in and lock the inside door (and hang the key on the back of that lol). The keys can't be seen from outside and actually can't really be seen from inside either.

The car keys aren't on there, so to be honest I feel that if they had already broken in, there is no point in me worrying. I hang keys to the video cabinet (no longer kept locked now little bear is past the 'jam butty in the dvd drawer' stage) and keys to the two drawer filing cabinets used as coffee tables (no longer locked now little bear is not so likely to try and eat pins).

No de-richarding today, but feeling optimistic some will happen soon - hugs to all

Edited to add - just realised I have done some de-richarding! I got a call asking why little bear was not at the holiday club, after getting an emails saying that there wasn't a place! So after rushing down there and little bear going in with a dirty face, I checked my emails, and there it was - email confirming that he couldn't go today. Sigh. While I was there I thought I would have a bit of a clear out and there are now 1500 (one thousand five hundred plus) mails in my deleted folder! Also there was an email I had missed as it had gone directly to a folder and it had some good news on - just a small thing but really made me happy. I have just thought of some other folders I can rummage through, so I will now revisit it and get really smug!

I have been hitting the 'unsubscribe' button for a while now, out of general principle.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Right, I've cleared out the plastic tubs etc and excess crockery and re arranged into a tidy kitchen cupboard I have one of those big 16 hole Ikea units at the back of my kitchen and every single one (they had pull out boxes in them) was full. My aim is to not have to use it so it can go gumtree/free cycle/tip. So that I have more space up the back of the kitchen for a proper 6 seater table. The kids currently use a small Ikea kids table that lives in the livingroom but they are getting too big for that now and I hope to de-smal-child-Ify my livingroom so looking for that to go eventually too.

To sort this I Also need to change to a tall freezer rather than my current chest freezer which I hate ask can NEVER find anything in it. So, as things are needing to be bought its going to be a very slow process anyway!

Don't know if this was a good move but my ironing piles that were stuffed to bursting under current kitchen table And on it and across the floor have been bagged up and put up and added to the piles already in my bedroom but the plan for that is to bring it down and tackle it one bag at a time.
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Byatt, I had the survey done - fitter man (bit of an aggro type)duly arrived and wouldn't do the work because there was stuff in the loft -- 10 neat boxes apparently, we don't use the loft so pressume they are from previous owner
    So unless you are sure you can get your loft completely emptied for the fitter ....

So, what are you going to do/have you done with the 10 boxes? Straight to the bin or sorted through in case of treasure ;-) ?
    sjprmc01 wrote: »
    Grr! I feel like I'm going crazy! I keep losing stuff that I've put down seconds before and it isn't really coz of the mess (entirely).

I've piled some of the stuff I pulled out today into a corner so there was a proper, clear walkway! But I now have it to deal with in the morning!

And I have a pile of dishes to do coz ive been tackling other stuff today (although I have done some dishes coz I start a million things and never finish them)

Except now I also have a very sore back coz I've been messing about with 'stuff' all day!

On the plus my wheelie bin is now almost full (or is that a plus? It doesn't get collected till Mon!) I'm not entirely sure what I've chucked but it was just all junk!

Mil dropped off yet anther school cardi so now youngest has 3 x green, 1 x grey, 1 x black and a green sweatshirt and 3 grey tank tops! Far too much and I can't give to the same lady I gave to yesterday as her dd is much bigger and the stuff I gave her was my older girls stuff

Which colour is best for school? I'd get rid of anything that isn't that colour. If you CS or freecycle it, I bet you have grateful recipients!
    valk_scot wrote: »
    Basically it's for all cotton canvas or polycotton canvas tents. If you have to clean a tent you use soap based products which rinse out fully but detergent never rinses out, there's always a residue and this residue will breach the waterproofing effect of cotton canvas at that point. So if you get bubbles landing on the roof of your tent, next time it rains you'll get little round leaky patches...

I personally think bubbles should be banned on campsites. Ovr the years I've felt a right killjoy asking kids to take their bubbles far, far away from any tents, especially mine, and the parents don't always understand either. But my big cotton canvas trailer tent would take over £1000 to replace the canvas if it got damaged, so I think I'm quite justified tbh. We wouldn't be able to go on holiday if we didn't camp and there are plenty of other things kids can do while camping than blow bubbles around.

I don't blame you! We kept it for the beach & I've told mum so she'll leave it home next time we camp. We saw a trailer tent on the way home.

I didn't end up using make up, so could have left that home. &DS2 didn't read either of his story books so they could have stayed home too. He did want to watch lots of Tintin on the portable DVD player, so I wish that had stayed home! But apart from that, DS2 & I didn't take too much stuff. DS1 meant to change his jeans part way through being away & took 2 sets of pjs but only used 1, & only wore his walking boots. So he could have left his trainers here. Don't think we did badly though! Mum & dad had lots of stuff...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    So, what are you going to do/have you done with the 10 boxes?
    Oh they haven't crossed my mind since the visit until I mentioned them on here
    Straight to the bin
    no, we'd have to hire someone to go up into the loft to get them down as we don't have a head for heights, so they can stay there
    or sorted through in case of treasure ;-) ?
    Hadn't thought of that ... but I'd hoard it anyway if it were ... it can all stay up there to amuse the next family of squirrels that break in!

I am a strangely un-nosey person in some ways - was given a wedding present at the time of my engagement when I was 18 - decided not to get married, left it wrapped up in a cupboard for the next 10, maybe even 15 years. Then opened it one day on impulse to make some space, and was amazed to think I'd left it wrapped up all those years. Guess I'd stopped "seeing" it

Glad to hear your trip went well spikey, I love bubbles and on a campsite it would probably be me blowing them ... sounds like you did well with the packing
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • HannahIOW
    HannahIOW Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    Options
    was given a wedding present at the time of my engagement when I was 18 - decided not to get married, left it wrapped up in a cupboard for the next 10, maybe even 15 years. Then opened it one day on impulse to make some space, and was amazed to think I'd left it wrapped up all those years. Guess I'd stopped "seeing" it
    I'm curious - what was the present?
    £2 Savers Club 2011 (putting towards a deposit :)) - £588
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh I'm curious too, what was the present?

I've now started on the livingroom cupboard. Simply for the fact that I have the same kind of unit in the cupboard as in the kitchen and need to transfer some of the drawer things into the cupboard unit but need to get rid of bits from the cupboard in the process. Things are gonna look MUCH worse before they look better! But I can see where im going with it at least!

5 or 6 'babies' in the bin! Much to the disappointment of middle dd as she wanted to keep one that had print off a book or something stuck to its head. They also never play with them anyway!

Re the school stuff : all 3 colours are good for the school!

Think I'm going to keep 1 tank top, the sweatshirt and 1 cardi of each colour. The rest along with some of the now 6 prs of green tights I have can be handed in to the headmaster at school he will know someone who will need them
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a day off (TOIL, I'm working on Saturday) and I've been listening to the rain outside whilst going round shredding more stuff.

Old paperwork to do with old jobs I've had (The Ionising Radiations Act 1985 has been superceded by the Ionising Radiations Acts 1993 and 1999), old loans and direct debit agreements.

I've filled in a cashing in form for my £70 worth of Premium Bonds (fat lot of use they've been) and I have been going through the craft hoard and given serious thought to just chucking/giving it all away.

I threw away a cross stitch union flag which was incorrectly counted and would have need unpicking for the third time and I've dragged out the yarn and needles for yet more scarves - they're going to the charity bin in the local Sainsbugs.

But there's loads more - unstarted projects but all ready to go, magazines that form part of the to do pile, boxes of threads which haven't been opened in months - they're tidied away for now, but I'm going to have to do something with them.

And the laundry. I'm just doing all the stuff I would be doing on Saturday, really.

I'm just waiting for the rain to ease off so I can get out and about.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport