PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just looked on AF. The rice is NO CHEAPER than a special at the supermarket. And then there's P&P on top.

Are you sure this is a logical act? Or could it be the hoarding?

:o:o:o Too late - and its the hoarding.

Okay, pick myself up, dust myself down, keep on going.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • wannabe_sybil
    wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ellidee wrote: »
    delurks to say that I have this for cooking rice in the microwave and it's one of my best purchases ever http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Microwave-Cooker-Litre/dp/B0001IWD7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1345122782&sr=1-1

HTH :)

I'll have to have a look at that - but atm for some reason I think I am better off staying away from Amazon :o:o:o:o:o:o

However I will save the link!
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    :o:o:o Too late - and its the hoarding.

Okay, pick myself up, dust myself down, keep on going.

Distance selling rules: you can cancel.

And as it hasn't been despatched yet, no P&P costs to argue about.

:whistle:
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now, this has me pondering...:D

http://www.theminimalists.com/organizing/
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been working all day so not done decluttering. But DH came home from his shift, all inspired by yesterday's tidying/throwing out (and repotting house plants and changing their positions around and shining their leaves - has made the room look quite different, and brighter). He has decided to sort through the bookshelf. Surprisingly, I now find myself with 22- mainly reference - books that can go to charity shops, and another 3 that I will pass to the local hospital, and 3 for MIL. MIL would probably like some of the others, but still a lot of emotion attached and I know I will be upset if I see them at hers. How silly, they are only bound pieces of paper. Kept the books I won as prizes for academic achievement in school though.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • whitewing
    Options
    short_bird wrote: »

I tried not to distract myself by looking at that link. It is interesting, because for my dad deinitely, hoarding is 'failed organisation'.

I do think there are two types of organisation - ruthless organisation of huge quantities of stuff (ie skewed hoarding). But there is also sensible planning and arrangement to take care of needs.

Right, the candles can go. Dandelion clock paperweight is staying.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing leaving the house today. Done most of the (pile up) of dishes and a huge stack of the ironing, well, what would be a huge stack to a tidy/non hoarding person. For me it barely made a dent in it but I guess it helps tidy the kitchen a bit

I can still 'see' my plan however I know its going to take a huge amount of work to turn the plan into reality!
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • whitewing
    Options
    Candlestick is going to a better home.

Half used candles in glass tubs are going. They were decorations until the power cut. But have some spares for future power cuts ( a much rarer event than when I was young).

Still a lot to do. Not at the stage yet where I feel lighter myself with all the changes but I expect that will come. We have people visiting in Sept who will be sure to notice the difference, so that will keep me motivated.

What's the best way to clean net curtains? I really ought to do them.
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    . Dandelion clock paperweight is staying.
    ooh, we've got one of them: brought ot the marriage by DH. I declared it ould stay:D
    whitewing wrote: »
    Half used candles in glass tubs are going. They were decorations until the power cut. But have some spares for future power cuts ( a much rarer event than when I was young).

What's the best way to clean net curtains? I really ought to do them.
    Yes, I recently got rid of loads of spare candles - had to tackle some deep seated notion that they needed to be keep for some major economic meltdown. The reality is that I haven't expereinced a power cut since 1973.

Net curtains - I dont own any, but I believe you can buy special whitener if they need it. Or just bung them in washing machine.

Earth called GreyQueen.. you ok, you seemd to have disappered. You can't be buried under a pile of shed crud, coz you don't have any anymore:p

Sybil - really sorry you are so under par healthwise. Not sure why GP thinks counselling is the solution to constantly getting colds etc. With the right counseller it can help you take better care of yourself I guess, but if there is an underlying problem, you still need that sorted.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    short_bird wrote: »

I agree with this. I can't remember if it was here or the messy thread but I hate the rise of "storage" and more to the point the idea that we should buy storage first. We all need to store stuff but having storage can lead the thought that if we have a shelf /box /vac-bag/decorative jar or floral magazine holder then it's ok to keep everything.

I do agree with having a space budget for things but it's dictated by me, not by the amount of space left in a wallpapered shoebox. Getting rid of the junk means we're left with things we need and things we like, things we like probably don't need to be stored and things we need just need a place, not storage because we use them (e.g cereal comes in a bag in a box, we don't need to decant it into a glass jar, it just needs to live in the cupboard).

I am a reformed storage person, once I got over the hump and the house was just untidy rather than out of control I said things about everywhere would be tidy if I had x or y to store it in. Not true, I just had to do a bit to make it tidy. All the organising tools went to the charity shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure