Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 1:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.4K views

Replies

• Put me down for £200.00.
    Amount has doubled this month due to me going away for a couple of days last month and my grandmother going into my house and turning off my Electric supply to my chest freezer and my Fridge freezer..... all spoiled and home insurance will not cover! GGGgGrrrrrr my full fridges and freezers have gone and yes i am mourning them.....
    1% challenge £2015.50 = £20.16
    Make £2.50 a day £80.82/77.50
    Sealed pot opening Nov 2018: ???
    Going back to being to basics. And penny pinching in 2018 This will be my year 😘
  • edited 1 July 2012 at 5:25AM
    jasmin10jasmin10 Forumite
    905 posts
    edited 1 July 2012 at 5:25AM
    I decided to no longer buy bread from June and have been making all our bread since. Has been working out fine actually and I am really pleased with sticking to that decision. It has probably saved me a few pounds too so I shall keep doing this. I make four loafs a go and put them in the freezer. So will be trying to make bread once a week to cover our needs.

I too have decided on this as I think a small saving could be made. I have been making mine for the last two weeks and not bought any bread yet. DD1 says mummy's bread is the best and dosent want the shop one anymore. She loves it with butter and honey on for before school, one thing I can't believe is that she eats the crusts too so I don't have to cut those off anymore.

I tend to have to make a loaf every other day. I don't bother making in bulk as I just set it up of a night ready for it to go on at around 3am on timer - must say its lovely waking up to the smell of bread

Feeling very proud of myself today as I haven't gone off my meal plan that I made up starting from last Tuesday and have plenty of milk to last till shopping day next Tuesday. So feeling confident that no top ups will be needed meaning that I have managed our first wkly shop for July just under budget for the four of us at 39.32.

Had a NSD yesterday and should have another today. DD1 usually has a choc bar out of the machine after her ice skating lesson, but will do the same as last week and put something in my bag from the great tin.
    TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
  • lilian1977lilian1977 Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put me down for £200.00.
    Amount has doubled this month due to me going away for a couple of days last month and my grandmother going into my house and turning off my Electric supply to my chest freezer and my Fridge freezer..... all spoiled and home insurance will not cover! GGGgGrrrrrr my full fridges and freezers have gone and yes i am mourning them.....

Nooooooo :( A friend of mine's mum did this the other week as well - ruined all their lovely home made baby food. I feel for you!

Will need to go to Tesco either today or tomorrow, hopefully can stretch what we have until tomorrow to make it a bit cheaper. Maybe even stretch to Tuesday if we're economical with the milk. Fingers crossed.

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • fozziebeartoofozziebeartoo Forumite
    1.6K posts
    I'm afraid it seems a load of hassle to have to work that out everytime you want to get a jar or packet of something out to use?

I don't really get how buying stuff on offer and then buying it back from the shop at FP saves money (well I get there's money to go into a 3rd purse :eek:) - but surely you save just as much buying stuff on offer anyway and then keeping the money in the bank as you'll not need to buy it again for ages.

Sorry ..... maybe just me but just really don't get it TBH.:o

I thought it was a lot of faff too......

But it just isnt when you do it!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

No idea why :D

Its certainly not an exact science (well not in my house).

My store is mainly household, dishwasher stuff, washing stuff, loo rolls.....nothing complicated to remember.

I get a pack of 9 Andrex off my shelf (£2 from Amazon) and put £3.50 (what I would pay in Sainsbobs) in 3rd Purse.

Exactly the same as if I had walked to Sainsbobs out got the loo rolls off THEIR shelf......I just get to keep the money myself and can use it on whatever I want :T

If I tried to keep money from savings in the bank like you said, I would simply fritter it away......

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    1.6K posts
    Put me down for £200.00.

Oh no.......I would be mourning the loss of my food hoard too!! :(
  • edited 1 July 2012 at 8:32AM
    fuddlefuddle Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2012 at 8:32AM
    I'm so pleased I looked upon this thread this morning, so many recipes on page 1 :D

My month goes from 15th - 15th so I am already well under way.

My budget is £200 a month for family of 2 adults and 2 children.

I work on a monthly meal plan and buy what I need for that and packed lunches. I'm currently adding to my store cupboard to so looking to reduce that £200 in the coming months.

I have milk/bread in freezer as well as all the meat I need and store of stuffs to make them. I need 2 weeks worth of fruit and veg maybe more eggs and packed lunch stuffs. I have £50 left. I don't know if I'm going to do it this month but hopefully with this threads encouragement I can enjoy challenging myself :)
  • LavenderBeesLavenderBees Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I thought it was a lot of faff too......

But it just isnt when you do it!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

No idea why :D

Its certainly not an exact science (well not in my house).

My store is mainly household, dishwasher stuff, washing stuff, loo rolls.....nothing complicated to remember.

I get a pack of 9 Andrex off my shelf (£2 from Amazon) and put £3.50 (what I would pay in Sainsbobs) in 3rd Purse.

Exactly the same as if I had walked to Sainsbobs out got the loo rolls off THEIR shelf......I just get to keep the money myself and can use it on whatever I want :T

If I tried to keep money from savings in the bank like you said, I would simply fritter it away......

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I must admit that I'm with Rising on this one. I couldn't get my head round the 2nd & 3rd purse ...not the doings of it (the principles as explained are fine), but the benefit.

I've come to the conclusion that the benefit is that you keep the savings in the 3rd (?) purse, and therefore can focus on them rather more than when the money is left in the bank.

It's really, to my very simplistic mind, another savings pot, though slightly more complex in that you've a budget in addition to the GC budget.

If it works for you, that's good enough for me :rotfl: I'm going to just keep trying to spend less :A

Have a lovely Sunday everyone...another NSD for me to log in my siggy...need lots more of these to pull my budget back on track for July...but I WILL succeed! :A

LB xx
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frootlefraggle,
    I really feel for you. All that hard work sourcing bargains and freezing meals, etc :(
    Can nothing be saved?

Jackieo,
    Wow. What a bakeathon!!:j
    You certainly know how to look after your family:T

Foraging adventures update:

I am so excited!
    The kids were bouldering yesterday at the coast so I was scouting around and found laver seaweed. Didn't know it was edible before but do now thanks to my little Richard Mayer hand book.

The best discovery was rock samphire!!!
    I can't wait to try it. Apparently it is a very trendy ingredient in restaurants.
    We have no fish in though and I don't want to buy something especially S that wouldn't be very MSE spirited.
    Good to know that I can positively identify and source it now though :j

I also did a little research on plantain (the weed, not the banana). It is a miracle plant that I intend to use in future. It grows everywhere I've looked. I'm definitely going to make a plantain infused oil for my medicine cabinet soon. It is good for nappy rash, cuts (it is a natural styptic and is antiseptic too), burns and a million other applications!)

I found a foraging thread on the forum but it is like flogging a dead horse. Not many seem to be doing it which is extremely surprising as who would say no to fresh, free and organic from the most pleasant 'store' in the world? I'm gonna 'shop' there a lot more in future :money:

It's so exciting using the seasonal produce. As its temporary, you have to look at new ways of preserving or using it.

Dinner last night was easy peasy chicken curry. The chicken was nice though. It was YS corn fed, free range thighs and drumsticks.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone! Lovely morning here in Kent.

DD has gone off with the Guides for a kayaking/sailing day and DS2 is on cub camp still, so only DS1 to worry about today. He is still in bed and probably will be for some time...teenagers huh....

I had a large spend at MrT yesterday, the first of our July GC. Only a couple of bottles of olive oil were 2nd purse purchases. DH got some beers too, but much cheaper than him going out for the evening :p

Will have to tweak the meal plan slightly as Ts didn't have any scampi (well not at the price I wanted to pay iyswim) so tomorrow we will have to have something else.

Have some twinks defrosting on the side for today's snacks. Lunch will probably be a toasted sandwich and tea tonight is roast gammon with roasties and veg. Will go and get the veggies later as Ts didn't have a great selection yesterday. If I'm organised enough we will also have a rhubarb crumble (rhubarb from the garden nommy).

Just wanted to add to Fozzie's comments about 2nd pursing. To all those thinking about it, I would say give it a go for a couple of months - you will reap the rewards I promise :D
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
    1.6K posts
    I must admit that I'm with Rising on this one. I couldn't get my head round the 2nd & 3rd purse ...not the doings of it (the principles as explained are fine), but the benefit.

I've come to the conclusion that the benefit is that you keep the savings in the 3rd (?) purse, and therefore can focus on them rather more than when the money is left in the bank.

It's really, to my very simplistic mind, another savings pot, though slightly more complex in that you've a budget in addition to the GC budget.

If it works for you, that's good enough for me :rotfl: I'm going to just keep trying to spend less :A

Have a lovely Sunday everyone...another NSD for me to log in my siggy...need lots more of these to pull my budget back on track for July...but I WILL succeed! :A

LB xx

Indeed - its just horses for courses, isnt it??? :rotfl:

We all do what works best for us :D

This time last year I wouldnt have dreamed of SPing, just couldnt see the point.

But having accumulated (and spent on luxuries) around £300 since January, I shall just keep-on-keeping-on :T