July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 25

New Post Advanced Search

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 1:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.3K views

Replies

• valerie57valerie57 Forumite
    140 posts
    I am in for the usual 300 for the month. There are 2 of us and it covers all food, cleaning materials and incidentals. I don't want to reduce any further as for the first time this month I will need to do all my shopping on line and I don't know how that will work out. Good luck to everyone. I really enjoy reading all your updates.
  • GlitzerGlitzer Forumite
    142 posts
    I am just about to make a start on prepping up our roast dinner for later. The cabbage that DH bought yesterday is huge, way too much for the of us and a toddler, we will only need half. We got it from the greengrocer and his stuff usually seems to last a while but any tips on storing the other half for next week? Mind, I guess if not I could always serve it with the pie we are going to make for tomorrow (from the left over chicken as it is 2kg, got for £5), though I'd rather save if possible.
  • jasmin10 wrote: »
    I too have decided on this as I think a small saving could be made. I have been making mine for the last two weeks and not bought any bread yet.

I tend to have to make a loaf every other day. I don't bother making in bulk as I just set it up of a night ready for it to go on at around 3am on timer - must say its lovely waking up to the smell of bread.

I made my own hummus yeasterday ... easy enough ... and it turned out delicious. For the first time I tried making anything to do with bread - pita bread - and although it tasted fine, it didn't rise very much. I am not sure what I am doing wrong - the oven was pre-heated to 200 deg C and I followed the recipe in terms of the white/wholemeal flour, fast yeast etc. Maybe I but too much salt in it (1 1/2 teaspoons to 3 cups of flour). Also put 1 1/2 tablespoons of light brown sugar in.

The end result is that the pita bread is freash, tastes nice - but a bit hard. Would appreciate any pointers.

Happy Chick/MrsCD - made some potato soup yesterday - delicious with the pita bread (just a shame the latter is slightly hard).

Best of luck to all,

179/200
    :j

I have just discovered sea beet!!!!!!!!

Now this is something I can use today. I have mince defrosting so I will make a sea beet and beef pasta bake (apparently you can use it like spinach or other beets). :T

How brill is that!!!!!

I'll pop a pic on later if I can get it to upload properly.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • dizzyditzy wrote: »
    With all the talk of buying tubs to freeze batch cooking I thought I'd share what I do in case it might save someone money. I cut my 2ltr/4pint milk bottles approx 3inch from the bottom all the way round, recycle top part. Then line with a food bag, put meal in, knot bag and freeze. When frozen I remove the bag from the milk bottle and label with masking tape. The blocks stack nicely in the freezer and to defrost I place them in a cut milk carton in the fridge HTH:D.

Quite simply brilliant. Just saved me enough money to get a bread maker!

Fozziebeartoo - happy birthday.

Pleasant afternoon all,

179/200
    I have to admit I've given up on HM pitta bread. I can't get it how I want it and I just buy a Value version which is so cheap anyway.
    I made my own hummus yeasterday ... easy enough ... and it turned out delicious. For the first time I tried making anything to do with bread - pita bread - and although it tasted fine, it didn't rise very much. I am not sure what I am doing wrong - the oven was pre-heated to 200 deg C and I followed the recipe in terms of the white/wholemeal flour, fast yeast etc. Maybe I but too much salt in it (1 1/2 teaspoons to 3 cups of flour). Also put 1 1/2 tablespoons of light brown sugar in.

The end result is that the pita bread is freash, tastes nice - but a bit hard. Would appreciate any pointers.

Happy Chick/MrsCD - made some potato soup yesterday - delicious with the pita bread (just a shame the latter is slightly hard).

Best of luck to all,

• savesummoresavesummore Forumite
    1.1K posts
    dizzyditzy wrote: »

With all the talk of buying tubs to freeze batch cooking I thought I'd share what I do in case it might save someone money. I cut my 2ltr/4pint milk bottles approx 3inch from the bottom all the way round, recycle top part. Then line with a food bag, put meal in, knot bag and freeze. When frozen I remove the bag from the milk bottle and label with masking tape. The blocks stack nicely in the freezer and to defrost I place them in a cut milk carton in the fridge HTH:D
    Hope everyone has a good day.

Wow what a fab idea :T thanks for that!!!

Went out last night to see a band (rubbish) and had a late night curry (also rubbish!!) I have updated my sig with £20 spent on curry for me and OH!!

Having homemade coottage pie with leeks today :D am looking forward to it as its yummy and they will be leftovers for another meal in the week :D

Im another person who only eats HM bread- once you start eating HM bread you realise just how 'plastic' shop bread is!!

OH makes us pitta breads all the time and they are really nice so ill pop off and ask him for the receipe.....................
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • Budgets noted to here and will update front page later

Second Purse - quick question, when you buy something for £1 [should be £2] when you want to use it you pay 2nd purse £2 for it - surely that means you are paying in total £3 for something that only cost £1 to start with or am I not getting it - this is what stopped me from doing the 2nd purse the 1st time!!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Welsh_PoppyWelsh_Poppy Forumite
    979 posts
    Afternoon,

Thanks for the 2nd purse and 3rd purse info much appreciated will try for a month and see if it works for us.

Dizzy ditsy....what a great idea I batch cook for the month and use freezer bags but that seems a great way to store in freezer.

A NSD and hoping to have lots this month won't be going shopping till next weekend we hae 2 freezers full of meals and a store cupboard full of dried foods.

Made mushroom soup today and it looks delic yum yum

Dinner is roast potatoes, cabbage,roasted parsnips and pork chop ( I am veggie so a sausage for me)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks fozziebear - I will go and have a read over the SP thread so I can get my head around it. :o

Bit annoyed - I NEEDED mayo, so I went to my little Mr T and had to cough up £2.34 for a bottle of Hellmans. I normally buy own brand mayo for less than a £1! :mad:
    Also bought a reduced ready made for tomorrow at work for £1.65.

£4.19 to be updated to signature.

I am in the middle of doing an online shop at the moment so I can get storecupboard, fridge and freezer items for a normal price rather than rip off Metro/Local/corner shop prices :o:(
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T