July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 28

New Post Advanced Search

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 1:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.3K views

Replies

• Make-it-3Make-it-3 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Day one for me, meal planned and for the first time wrote out the shopping list based on my local Sainsbury's layout to keep me focused going round. Bought everything on my list, bar a few things that were out of stock and no extras - total spend £30.70 - so that leaves me with £169.30 for the rest of the month.

Will need to do a top-up by mid-week on milk, eggs and bread no doubt.

I feel a bit in awe of you OSers who are foraging and your 2nd/3rd purses. I can't imagine what I would find to forage in London.

And I tend to avoid the bulk buy special offers, as I find things will either go off, we'll eat/use more, or its too much to carry home.

Rather than stock up, I tend to work on a running a threadbare cupboard as possible, and that the money is better in my account than in the supermarket's till until I really need something. Does anyone else work this way?
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • edited 2 July 2012 at 10:26PM
    nicky_s_2nicky_s_2 Forumite
    92 posts
    edited 2 July 2012 at 10:26PM
    Hi, could I join in? I have lurked for a while, but really need to control our expenditure. We are 2 adults, two teenagers who are eating like horses, 2 dogs (one large and one small) and one cat. I am going to start with £350 ( including all pet food and toiletries) and take it from there.
    Target July Grocery Challenge: £350
    Target so far:£83.56
  • GlitzerGlitzer Forumite
    142 posts
    Evening!

One NSD here.

Had a beautiful roast chicken dinner this evening and there is a huge amount of chicken left over! I reckon we should be able to make two pies for the three of us, plus with the leftover veg another two roast dinners for DS (he eats earlier than us usually as DH and I don't usually eat until DS goes to bed). I am trying persuade DH to make a stock with the carcas but he thinks it is too much of a faff and that you don't get much anyway.
  • KatyReed+5KatyReed+5 Forumite
    128 posts
    I have just gutted out big walk in cupboard in the living room, it has been filled with stuff more and more since the day we moved in nearly 2 years, it's also been a stock room for christmas/birthday presents, it's practically empty now bar a few boxes piled up one end, it was actually full of rubbish, old boxes etc. This cupboard is to be my new store room for food, it's 0.7m by 2.4m so quite a good size, my newly ordered chest freezer will go in here and i have a big set of shelves too, i'm very excited about this, after all this 2nd purse talk i'm going to start the 2nd/3rd purse in August, going to start to bulk buy what i can where i can, EXCITED.

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Determined to make the most of what I've done recently, I have just made five pots of raspberry jam! The raspberries cost me 80p for four punnets (should've been £8!), and the sugar was in the stores anyway, so really cheap! Tastes amazing, too. Trouble is, I've now increased my stores! There's no escape!!!

Having decided to not go anywhere near a sm this weekend, I was in one both days. :mad: Sat didn't spend anything, was there with a friend, but today I went to get a bike lock and ended up spending about £7 on stuff. Cuc, pepper, grapes, bread (I like a sm one now and then), and treats...

However, have been using up/freezing/creating with what I bought on Friday in my moment of weakness, and now have a bag of chopped sliced turkey and one of pork in the freezer, can chuck them with some pasta and sauce to make a meal, so they won't have been wasted. They only cost 20p for loads, but that's not the point. Tomorrow lunch, I will take the samosas and chicken kebaby things, and then that's everything used up/put away, except for two slices of a 20p pizza.

No idea what we're having for dinner tomorrow. Silly really, as I have so much in, but I think that's the problem - there's too much to choose from! I did, however, print off a load of weekly meal planner sheets from the net, so I'm off to fill one of those in for this week. Used to work quite weel, as the children could then see what was for dinner and when. They won't be getting any choices this week, as they're in bed asleep, so that's just tough!

Sorry for the long msg, but just had to get some stuff off my chest. Men, close your ears and eyes! And, a great mse-er told me on my dfd, that it's my totm, so that's why I've been doing crazy things. She's awesome! Thanks SL! Don't feel so bad now, as it's not a permanent thing...

On that weird note, goodnight everyone!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    PG, well done on 5 pots of jam!!!!!!!!! :T

In an ideal world, wouldn't it be nice if we could 'trade' our goodies for those of others!!! I'd love to trade for a pot of HM raspberry jam.

Can't wait til mine become ripe. I want to try my hand at that. I reckon I won't be buying jam again if I can help it.

How long can it keep?

Cheers JJ
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • jumblejack wrote: »
    In an ideal world, wouldn't it be nice if we could 'trade' our goodies for those of others!!! I'd love to trade for a pot of HM raspberry jam.

Can't wait til mine become ripe. I want to try my hand at that. I reckon I won't be buying jam again if I can help it.

A quick question for the jam makers amongst us - how does it compare cost wise to buying - eg can buy raspberry jam in Mr A for around 80p and Al*di for 90p (much nicer!).

AFAIK (which isn't a lot! but remember granny making jam when I was wee) you need mountains of sugar (which isn't cheap!).

I have a plentiful supply of blackberries (nearby woods) ..... feeling a bit sad now as lost loads when the freezer defrosted last week :( - so wondering if it's worth doing or not. TIA
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • edited 1 July 2012 at 9:24PM
    PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2012 at 9:24PM
    I was in a$da on Friday evening, and there were 4 packs of raspberries rtc at 20p each. I used just under 1kg of sugar. So, that made my five pots (1 mayo sized, two jam sized, one mint sauce sized and two fish paste sized) cost about £1.60. If you allow for 80p per jar of jam-jar-sized jam (!), then I've got the extra ones for free, AND they're much superior tasting as they're hm!

eta - it turns out I actually made 6 jars! As counted above, but not in my head!! And I have a maths degree... Is there no hope for the world?!?!?!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    And, the advantage of the raspberry jam, is that because there's no hulling, chopping, etc, it was done start to finish in just over 20 mins!!!
  • lilian1977lilian1977 Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    £1 on milk in Iceland today so £8.54 now spent.10% spent, 10% into the month!

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]