🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Southernman's steps to freedom!

Options

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    10 years? sounds like good customer service. were they easy to deal with?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Southernman
    Options
    10 years? sounds like good customer service. were they easy to deal with?

It was really easy, no questions asked and i'm being emailed a tracking order to watch my bin lid's progress through the postal service!!

The same thing happened to an old bin of mine, i had to go to Makro for a refund and decided to opt for a more expensive one.

Looks like it was a good choice to do this! I don't know why the push button lids wear out so fast or if we're too rough with it?
    Mortgage 1: May 2012 £90,000 April 2020: £47,000
    Mortgage 2: £270,000😱 Jan 2019 £253,000 April 2020
  • Southernman
    Options
    So weird, woke up this morning and pushed my bin lid in vain...

AND IT WORKED???

No idea what's going on but a new lid is on order now...

I went to the gym earlier. I ran 5km and walked on the highest incline for about 15mins too. Also did that step machine.

Going to try and keep this up. The gym wasn't as busy as expected. I imagine the fatty rush will happen on Monday though.

Work wasn't too busy either today, i'm sat in a spot where i have no one to talk to really though. I have Steve who's opposite and we always discuss shares and other financial qualms! He's more like my dad than anything! The girls who are more my own age are on the other side of the office GAH.

I'm having a cosy evening with Corrie and a water bottle, knackered!
  • Southernman
    Southernman Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 January 2013 at 7:43PM
    Options
    Very frustrated and need somewhere to vent.

I had my end of year appraisal meeting today and i was feeling confident because i'd done so well in 2012. I was top in my department as an average over the last six months (no data prior to that but i was top then too) and had worked really hard with other people to improve the culture of our department on top of my job role AND still hitting everything expected. At my mid year review i was told i would get a high level (let's say A) if i continued as i was. Well since then i've done a lot more and i get to my appraisal and i'm given a level B instead.

I'm really disappointed because other than managing a team while my manager was away i'm not really sure what else i could have done. I've had a few let downs and tried to ignore it and just carry on (while seething inside) and even now i don't get the recognition.

Level B is the equivalent of being on the same level of peers
    Level A is doing things outside the job role and working above peers.

It's not even the payrise i'm bothered about. One of Maslow's Hierachy of Needs is self esteem. Something i'm lacking after the way i keep getting repeatedly treated.

I don't know why i bother putting my heart and soul into my job when i get no repayment. If it wasn't for the bonuses i'd have been gone long ago.
  • Southernman
    Options
    The only good thing about today is that i got a £2 coin.
  • Lois_E
    Lois_E Posts: 2,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Boo hiss about the appraisal. Did you have the chance to remind them what had been said mid-year and ask why the goal posts had moved?
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Lois_E wrote: »
    Boo hiss about the appraisal. Did you have the chance to remind them what had been said mid-year and ask why the goal posts had moved?
    I agree with Lois. Is there an appeal process? Do you have anything in writing about what was promised?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Southernman
    Southernman Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 January 2013 at 9:16PM
    Options
    He said that what i'd done outside my job role was 'bitty things'. It's not just him who decides all the managers in both departments get together and decide. Managers who i've never worked with too.

I can hold a grievance about it but it would only mean digging a hole for what is right. Could cause me to have a black mark against my name in the future. I wouldn't mind but i've got stats to back me up. So it's not like i'm just going in guns blazing over nothing.

My flatmate who used to work in my department said that's generally the culture. Those who work hard and are quiet get no recognition whereas those who shout get their own way. He said he's seen it many a time and it's why he got out of there.

Unfortunately it's not something i have written down. He just stated it.

I don't get given the opportunities to manage teams etc. It's not handed on a plate for me which is why i've done other things to get myself noticed. Fat load of good that was. I was trying to do the best thing out of a bad situation.

In terms of compliance i must have one of the best standards in the whole of the department of around 100 people too.
  • Southernman
    Options
    Diet has started since WednesdaY. Each day is getting a tiny bit easier, it's so tough not being able to snack. When I go to the gym I treat myself to one chocolate so that I don't go completely crazy!

Going running later while Mr S watches the telly. If I can lose half a stone by the end of march I'll be happy and a full stone by the end of June.

I plan to weigh myself every Sunday morning to mark my progress. Keep at it and see how I get on. Doubt I'll have lost much since Wednesday but it will be a starting block and continue from there.

I'm to look at not fat but for me as an individual I need to do something. I really want to get myself down and maintain it. I think it will be much tougher than overpaying my mortgage.

Saying that, as I won't be eating out as much/splurging on chocolate or caffe lattes I may have a higher disposable income meaning larger overpayments.

Next step is getting myself registered for 2 10ks and a half marathon!
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    Hi Southernman,

Sorry to hear about the appraisal. Good luck with the weight loss.
    It the time of year to look forward, be positive and make a difference.

I was interested to hear to mention the heirarchy of needs and having just refreshed my memory of it, I noticed the security of employment and property is the second level from the bottom. In my mind, it highlights the benefit of being MF and perhaps also explains my and some close friend's feelings of lack of security at work given that our job situations are uncertain over the medium to long term.

I think your diary is great and it looks like you have the right balance between having a good time and putting money away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport