Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Confused/upset/annoyed

in Pets & pet care
49 replies 2.8K views
and all over nothing I guess.

You may all know Kia's story, she's my rescue dog who I don't know much about her past but been told she's approx 5.

Got her Microchip details changed and paperwork came in today saying chip implanted in December 2001 which makes her 10. Now she doesn't act very old nor look very old but obviously she is.

Why am I annoyed/upset ? I don't know, I guess it's just kinda hitting me that we will have less time with her than I had predicted.

I don't even know why I am posting this here, theres nothing anyone can do and I'm being silly. I love her regardless of her age but feel kind of sad for some reason.

Replies

• rising_from_the_ashesrising_from_the_ashes Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Ohhhh Con I really feel for you - it must've been a real shock (have you double checked the number on the document against the scanned chip?)

I do know how you feel - I was told Ben was 4 (nearly 5) when I got him but we knew he had at least a couple of years on this - it didn't matter two hoots to me how old he was (and I wondered if they thought I wouldn't have taken him if they told me his real age).

I'm a bit surprised that the rescue wasn't able to get her age from the chip - they must've scanned it when they got her?

She certainly doesn't look 10 ....at the end of the day (and sorry as this is a rather depressing thought), some live very long lives and others sadly don't.

By our reckoning Ben was at least 13 / 14 when I lost him - DMs last dog sadly had to be pts when she was only 4.

Please try to put it to the back of your mind (((hugs)))
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    12.4K Posts
    Forumite
    PS you're not being silly .....
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You've just lost 5 years with her, essentially.

I don't blame you at all for being upset, its also as if she's aged 5 years overnight in a way, I imagine. The dog you love is suddenly an old girl and you've had no gradual adaptation or time to get used to the idea, its no wonder you're upset!

I hope you have many more happy years together, and I suggest you tell the rescue what's happened. Did they not scan her chip? How do they know somebody wasn't missing her if they don't?
  • con1888con1888 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't really double check, the details came in the post and I just entered the chip number and the petlog ID number, everything else looks fine so looks like it defo is her.

I have told them, I now volunteer for the rescue so am in constant contact. They didn't know her age because they were having lots of bother getting access to change her petlog ID so it's only now that its sorted that we know her details. I guess I can't blame them much as they were told she is approx 5 and that's all the history they really had on her, vet told me going by her teeth she thought she was 'a little older' but didn't give an estimate.

I will obviously love her regardless but I guess it does make me think we now have less time with her, which of course we can never really tell as animals, just like people die at all ages, some old some young.

I guess I can be pleased her joints are okay - should I start looking into some supplements now that she is older and change her food to a type for older dogs ? Any other advice on having an older dog or should I otherwise just carry on as normal ?

Thanks for the support, glad you guys understand and don't think I am being silly/horrible.
    12.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Personally I'd be giving some additional joint supplements (I am actually going to start Maisie on these once she's home again, even though she has no problems & is relatively young) - starting before there are problems can help prevent / make things less difficult than waiting until there is a problem.

You can get foods with extra supplements in them, add supplements such as Glucosamine, Chondrotin, Green lipped mussel etc or give things like a joint care stick as a treat daily (As*da & Sains*bury's do their own which compare very well against the Pedi*gree ones & are a fraction of the price).

Oh - just a thought - if she's insured you may want to speak to the insurance company as it may affect your premiums & it would be a nightmare to have a problem & find out they reject the claim.
    1.8K Posts
    Ah yeah I probably should change insurance details, will plan to do that tomorrow as i guess they probably would reject a claim now that we KNOW she is older so I guess the payments will in turn be higher.

I think I am most upset at the fact I am annoyed but no one to blame, usually makes it easier if you have someone to focus the anger on but this is just 'one of those things'.

I give her fish oil atm but will get some joint supplements too, she is pretty fit for her age and want to keep it that was as long as I can.

Thanks for that advice. Hopefully I will be able to put this to the back of my mind soon. It's irrelevant but it's cast a shadow over me atm.
    12.4K Posts
    Forumite
    I'm not surprised .... Person One summed it up with saving it's like you've suddenly lost 5 years.

Re insurance - it is a difficult one but I would lean towards the fact that you know for a fact she is older that would make the difference. The chip number will be recorded at your vets so I guess (but happy to be corrected) that they could get her real age from that - maybe see what others think
    1.8K Posts
    All in all I hope this is the end of the !!!! I have had this week.

Kindle broke and amazon wont replace, phone broke, laptop broke, passports havent arrived and we go in two weeks... what next.

I guess I am just 'scunnered' is that just a Scottish word? If so for any those who don't know it it means 'fed up' 'had enough' etc...
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm sorry to possibly upset you even further, but did you see my recent post on Sazzy's thread about her lost dog Ruaridh?

A poster on a dog forum has recently located her lost dog after 9 years, but she's devastated to find out that her dog was scanned by the Dogs Trust 6 years ago after being handed in and nobody contacted her, they changed the details without a word.

It probably doesn't happen very often, but I'd be worried that if they didn't check her chip details thoroughly enough somebody might be missing her, do you know much about the circumstances of her coming into rescue?
  • gettingreadygettingready Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Con - when you took her to the vet, didn't yor vet tell you what age is she?

There may be mistake on the chip details?

Vets can estimate age by looking at dog's teeth?

I may be cluching at straws here but..... really feel for you .. and for Kia...

Big Hugs XXX
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals