Comments

• deejohnson
    deejohnson Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    lifeiswar wrote: »
    It's a newbie rule to buy everyone a beverage,
    starting with me
    :beer:

Hahahaha, nice one L. I had a few problems when i first started. Stupidly using my personal contract phone for the comps until I read some of the threads on starting out and a but of advice from other compers so i got a spare phone that is pay as you go. I would just fill anything in but now im a little more choosy lol. I have won a few things that i couldnt collect but hey ho.

My advice...

just go in for comps on here, be choosy about which ones you want to go in for.
    If your not sure about a comp wait and one of the more experienced compers will post if its not suitable.
    Make sure you read the tick boxes or you will get phone calls some can be hard sell.
    I have changed my dob slightly as dont want to give out too much personal info.

Hope this is of some help as i am still kind of new to this too. :j
  • sophie27x
    sophie27x Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi :)

This guide: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1014121
    will help you with a few general queries you might have about starting out.

If you dont have time :D my advice would be:

work your way through the competitions posted here. There's no obvious amount you need to enter but the more you enter, the quicker you'll get used to it and the more chance you'll have of winning! :)

I would also recommend using 'autofill' to fill in your forms, as it can get quite draining filling in the same details again and again.

Also if you're wanting to enter lots of competitions I would make sure you're signed up to Facebook and/or Twitter as a lot of competitions require these. :)

And if you're wanting to catch up on some old competitons, I would recommend scrolling down to the bottom of the forum to Display Options, and change Sorted By to Thread Start Time and From the to Beginning (This is explained in the guide above :) )

Good luck! ;)
  • Becky0306
    Becky0306 Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    hi guys, i only just started couple of weeks ago, and found this article on main page is very useful and full of handy tips 'Comping for Cash
    Insider tips to find & win competitions' here's the link http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/Competitions-comping-win
    I've been using Chorme autofill for about a week, but after downloading Roboform, it seems to save me awful load of time and is so much better....give it a go and you'll see what i mean....also sorting the threads by end date is very helpful too, because you can enter comps ending soonest and not bother with those that get newly added on a daily basis.....the article I mentioned gives a lot of useful information, have a look when you've got time...good luck..:)
    PS. also setting up separate email address, separate FB and Twitter account are the must....
  • deejohnson
    Options
    Hey Sophie, which auto fill do you use. I am still just using the basic chrome auto fill but can be a bit of a nightmare.

Looking into roboform. Wanted to make sure this wasnt a fad before i started spending any money on downloads.
  • Becky0306
    edited 31 July 2012 at 12:52PM
    Options
    roboform should be free...
  • Becky0306
    Options
    deejohnson wrote: »
    Hey Sophie, which auto fill do you use. I am still just using the basic chrome auto fill but can be a bit of a nightmare.

Looking into roboform. Wanted to make sure this wasnt a fad before i started spending any money on downloads.

roboform is free, go to 'Install Roboform for Chrome', it should work that way....
  • sophie27x
    sophie27x Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    deejohnson wrote: »

Hi :)

I normally use the one which comes with Google, and it normally works fine!

But on my computer, I do have Roboform which is really good and quick too so I'd recommend that if you're having problems! And it's free!
  • bex88
    bex88 Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, Set up a separate email.
    Come and do the competitions posted on here. I like to only do competitions where the prize is something I actually want, but I know some people just enter everything, but winning some things you want every now and then is a much better feeling than winning lots of things you dont in my oppinion. :)

Definatly use your browsers autofill feature because that saves a lot of time.

Most of my wins have been from facebook, so it's definatly worth signing up to that if you don't already have an account.

If and when you do win something, I like to always take a picture of it and write down the date I won it to keep a nice record :)

Happy Comping.
  • deejohnson
    Options
    I had a win from facebook on Friday... £75 hamper which is getting delivered this week so i was told :)
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have 1 question; are the regular competitions posted on the main site or do I need to look in the regular and weekly part?

Welcome and good luck :beer:

Competitions should never be posted in 2 places (although oversights do happen). If a competition has an end date then it's posted on the main board. If a competition is ongoing & you can enter regularly (daily, weekly) then it's posted on the Regulars board. If it has an end date but you can enter multiple times then most often it's posted on the main board & "bumped" every time a new entry is available (and a link is put in Regulars).

If you'd like to include regular comps in your comping then the best thing to do is subscribe to the daily and weekly threads (or just check them every now & then). These threads provide links to all the regular comps, no matter where they are posted. At least that's the theory :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure