Competitions Discussion Thread Part 17

Options

Comments

• Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reference post 601 does anyone have similar information about twitter?

With twitter, it is fairly easy to get an idea of the odds of winning. If for example a company offers a prize to a random follower when they get to 500 followers, then you have a 1 in 500 chance of winning if you follow them. If they have say 500 followers and they offer a prize to someone that follows them and retweets a particular tweet, then you have a better than one in 500 chance of winning, as not all followers will bother to read and retweet it. (You could check the number of retweets if you really wanted to).

Some companies run competitions on twitter where they encourage people to repeatedly tweet something and each tweet counts as an entry. (Such competitions are against twitter guidelines). For these, you could search on a hashtag to see how many people have used the phrase. You will find some people tweet hundreds and hundreds of times, thus increasing their chances of winning, but also they may alienate their followers and find that they are locked out of twitter for a while.
  • Miss_Cinnabon
    Miss_Cinnabon Posts: 19,481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi looking for someone to take over posting bella magazine as have limited spare time to myself these days, need to get back into comping as im lucky if i enter 1 a day :o thanks x
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably open up a can of worms with this post but here goes!

I am getting very disheartened as I enter nearly every Facebook "Like and Share" comp but very seldom win them, in fact I can't recall ever winning a "Like and Share" comp

does anyone know how the winners for Facebook "Like and Share" comps are picked out?

is it better to enter at the start of the comp or at the end or in the middle?

I have noticed that some peeps are "Liking and Sharing" multiple times - some are doing this on a daily basis and some are "Liking and Sharing" multiple times within a matter of seconds

I have also noticed that some peeps are posting multiple "Liked and Shared" comments again on a daily basis

when the winners are picked out does this give them some sort of advantage? and if it does is this considered cheating or just bending the rules?
  • nanto3girls
    nanto3girls Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Amilucky, You have written exactly what i have been thinking for months.
  • bees**knees
    bees**knees Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If someone retweets the competition retweets you have sent, does it make yours void and if so can you do anything about it ??
    ( Just had someone retweet a few of mine)
  • toniq
    toniq Posts: 29,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    valbuk wrote: »
    If someone retweets the competition retweets you have sent, does it make yours void and if so can you do anything about it ??
    ( Just had someone retweet a few of mine)

It can invalidate your entry as some comps are 1 entry only, ask the person to stop and delete, if they are a stranger block them so it can't happen again.

x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
  • Treacle1983
    Treacle1983 Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Amilucky? wrote: »
    Probably open up a can of worms with this post but here goes!

I am getting very disheartened as I enter nearly every Facebook "Like and Share" comp but very seldom win them, in fact I can't recall ever winning a "Like and Share" comp

does anyone know how the winners for Facebook "Like and Share" comps are picked out?

is it better to enter at the start of the comp or at the end or in the middle?

I have noticed that some peeps are "Liking and Sharing" multiple times - some are doing this on a daily basis and some are "Liking and Sharing" multiple times within a matter of seconds

I have also noticed that some peeps are posting multiple "Liked and Shared" comments again on a daily basis

when the winners are picked out does this give them some sort of advantage? and if it does is this considered cheating or just bending the rules?

Most of these 'like and share' type competitions don't have any rules.

I normally 'like, share and comment' every time they put up a new post about it.

Eg: they just put up 1 competition post - 1 like and share once, they post up a fresh post every day - i like and share every day.

I do similar on twitter - I retweet the original tweet and then if there aren't any rules I retweet each competition tweet they put out.
    Not really comping any more as too ill - but hoping to win £1000+ in 2017 in cash prizes - watch this space!
  • Victoria_Ke
    Victoria_Ke Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

Have just started doing competitions this weekend.

I have 1 question; are the regular competitions posted on the main site or do I need to look in the regular and weekly part?

Thank you Victoria.

I think my husband and dog may stop talking to me soon as this is so additive :rotfl:
    Prizes Won in 2012: £3,740
    Prizes Won in 2013: £ 802

Jazz night canary wharf, War of the world night London, Whitesnake/Thunder Birmingham, Biscuiteer biscuits, Fat he'd products, hotel guide, Beauty me products, A Chorus Line tickets, Charles Worthington products, A little black dress, Rasta mouse books.
  • kittycatty
    kittycatty Posts: 3,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening, I really need to step aside with the puzzler comps I do atm, with a funereal and an operation over the next couple of weeks I won't be about much, I will still do the take a break mag just not the puzzler ones.

Sorry.
    Think it's about time the comping fairy remembered where I am! lol

• Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As far as know, every competition is posted on the main site. If they are daily, weekly or whatever they are also added to those threads with links to the original posts here on the main thread.

Is that as clear as mud? Sorry, someone else will hopefully explain it better :)
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts