Orchid V4, V4+ and Ranger 400 phone users - Discussion

Comments

• GCB_2
    GCB_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi,

How does rule 1 (*2*9) work?

I thought it should recognise any number where the first * represents any number (including none) digits followed by a 2 followed by any number of digits followed by a 9 followed by more digits.

If the above is true, how is it going to match local calls in my area (0117 9*)?

Is it just that this rule doesn't get used on my dialler because local calls get handled by rule 2 (01)?

As now there is no apparent differention between local and national calls, should this rule now be eliminated?
    Many thanks
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 25 July 2010 at 7:33PM
    *2*9 means from 2 to 9.

In fact, *2*8 would be better because no local number will ever start with a 9.

The rule is there to accommodate the dialling of a local number without the STD code (the Orchid auto-inserts the STD code too).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • cazian
    cazian Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My number, along with most Reading numbers, start with a nine - 961xxxx.

Re post no 791 - ^*^(&)*!! (expletives deleted). I have a recurrent ebay search on the go too.
  • GCB_2
    GCB_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Heinz. Thanks for the explanation - I'm used to * being 0 or more characters.

Geoff
  • Heinz
    edited 25 July 2010 at 10:46PM
    cazian wrote: »
    My number, along with most Reading numbers, start with a nine - 961xxxx.
    Thanks for jogging my memory about those with 02x STD codes who, of course, would dial 8 digits for a local numbers.

For them, it could be said to hardly be much saving in time or effort omitting 02x (but I suppose almost the same could be said for someone in, say, Birmingham, omitting 4 digits or someone in the sticks like me omitting 5 digits).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Looks like my dialler finally died.

Are there any DECT phones that will insert a prefix automatically?

Does any company still offer a dialler?

Thanks for any advice
    Chris
  • Richteab wrote: »
    Looks like my dialler finally died.

Are there any DECT phones that will insert a prefix automatically?

Does any company still offer a dialler?

Thanks for any advice
    Chris

Me too... Mine hasn't quite died, but suddenly it's not passing Caller ID Display through to my handsets, which is pretty annoying. And sometimes it seems to 'hold' the line so I can't make or receive calls and has to be unplugged. Is there a way to do a complete factory reset to start reprogramming again from scratch (I've tried dialling the software reset code but that didn't solve the problem). :(

Are there really none of these marvellous little boxes around any more? Or are there any other makes that would do a similar job?

Thanks for any advice...
    Serendipity
    - noun: Looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.
  • Heinz
    edited 9 August 2010 at 6:31AM
    Is there a way to do a complete factory reset to start reprogramming again from scratch (I've tried dialling the software reset code but that didn't solve the problem). :(

Are there really none of these marvellous little boxes around any more? Or are there any other makes that would do a similar job?
    To start programming from scratch, there are 2 strings which clear all Carrier Codes and Routing Codes (see post 384 in this thread).

Apart from those, there are 3 other strings which should reset a V4 - see post 784 above.

With regard to availability, I'm afraid the answer is no. Keep your eye on this thread and on ebay and you might get lucky though.
  • Heinz wrote: »

With regard to availability, I'm afraid the answer is no. Keep your eye on this thread and on ebay and you might get lucky though.

Thanks Heinz.

My Orchid v4 seems to be completely dead now. I left it unplugged overnight with a view to doing a complete reset from cold, but now I can't even get dial tone through it.

Do any clever people out there know what it is that fails in these boxes - a capacitor maybe, I seem to recall that they can fail with age... Just clutching at straws here, of course, but maybe someone has managed to repair a dead box??

If not, then I guess I'll just have to keep nagging the missus to dial 1899 or 18185 before her calls. Sigh! _pale_
    Serendipity
    - noun: Looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.
  • johnniegif
    johnniegif Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Serendipity, you have my deepest sympathy. I would be lost without my Orchid.

I have no idea about the internal workings of the dialer but I wonder perhaps if one or other of the cables coming from it has a loose connection - hence initially the lack of caller display and now not even a dial tone. This is of course is grasping at straws but worth investigating by replacement of the cables. If you have a stash of old modem cables lying around that would fit, I recommend trying them. Just like people, all electronics die eventually only most get retired to a drawer/the loft long beforehand!

I didn't have any luck finding a similar unit to the Orchid. Of course you can always dial the 18185 etc. prefix from your DECT 'phone, or even program it with different numbers for Fred - 0123456789 or Fred Daytime - 181850123456789 but it becomes cumbersome and not everyone will call the right number at the right time. Such a pity Orchid withdrew their magical product from the market.

Best of luck.

Johnnie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family