wombling in tesco - what's safe

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I even picked up a till-spit in front of the Till manager I was discussing coupons with, last week! I said, 'oooh, good, extra points, I can buy that item'. She smiled & was completely unfazed (same as she had been with my coupons, she is a nice lady. Not sure I would have dared to pick up a till-spit in front of some other Tesco staff I could mention though).
    Of course, that begs the question "why wouldn't you have dared pick them up if you're not doing anything wrong?" ;)

(should say - I don't think you are)
  • littlejaffa
    littlejaffa Posts: 2,251 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OMG! just realised it's more than a year since i started this thread and people are still responding! is this some kinda record? :rotfl:
    Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • cwp500
    cwp500 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I work on customer services,have done for many years for tesco.i know when someone is wombling by the reciepts that they hand me.and yes it is fraudulent and we are aware that this is taking place and it is getting out of control,just like the r&rs and that is why the policys are changing,and yes i can refuse to put them on.it takes time to send another card you can pick one up instore for your OH fill it in send it off but in the mean time he can still use the card and have his points on there is no need to save reciepts.i would hate for you to get into trouble.

Note please; there is more file sharing taking place than the big boys will admit. It is very easy not only to be blacked by the Supermarket Gestapo but more seriously, it could spill over and affect your credit rating if they decide to make and example of someone.

Its not worth it for the few extra quid per year. Better to save the money by purchasing online from one of the supermarkets via a cashback site, and search out voucher codes for free delivery.
    :o Keep trying.........................what else is there to do? :o
  • Discodee
    Discodee Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bham-dave wrote: »
    Of course, that begs the question "why wouldn't you have dared pick them up if you're not doing anything wrong?" ;)

(should say - I don't think you are)

probably because regular coupon users do not want attention drawn to them and some SAs are snotty beggars!

I womble all the time and I would pick up a discarded receipt end of till in froont of some but not all cashiers. Although it isn't wrong, some would mutter and embarrass you.
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • Discodee
    Discodee Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    But that's just it. They don't belong to anyone. So *by definition* it isn't stealing..?

So, another one to put forward...I pick up a till spit, receipt, whatever...I go to the police station, hand it in. Wait six weeks (or whatever it is) for someone to claim it. They don't.

The points are then *legally* my own. No grey area. 100% belong to me. I then claim these points. Is this still wrong, by your definition, as the person who owns the points is not the person that bought them?

Ah, sadly this scenario is impossible as Tesco only allow 2 weeks from the date on the receipt to claim the points. It did used to be four before the advent of wombles!;)

End of the day if someone throws something away they no longer want it and whoever finds it can keep it. especially a bit of flippin paper!!! My son found 5p on the way to school this morning, is he fraudulentlyobtaining sweeties if he give it into the shop later??:rolleyes:
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • bravobeastie
    bravobeastie Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options
    Discodee wrote: »
    My son found 5p on the way to school this morning, is he fraudulentlyobtaining sweeties if he give it into the shop later??:rolleyes:

Yes and he should be punished accordingly :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • bumblesquat
    bumblesquat Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Goodness me, this debate has been going on for ages. I thought of myself as a person with good morals but I must be a bad person as I see nothing wrong with wombling as long as Tesco's is letting it happen. If someone throws a receipt away they clearly don't want it, so if someone picks it up and claims the points so what. At least that little bit of paper isn't floating around the streets any longer making a mess.

I personally think that if Tesco's do not want wombling to happen they should do what Boots do. If you haven't got your card with you they ask if you would like your receipt validated so you can add your points at a later date. If you don't have a card the receipt won't have any points on it to claim.

Until Tesco change the way they do things why shouldn't these discarded points be claimed by someone? Do people actually believe that we don't pay for all of these points in the cost of our shopping and that poor old Tescos is making a loss. They are there to entice us to call in at Tesco's rather than the competition and if a handful of people go out of their way to gather a few more points I call that enterprising, not stealing.

By the way, I don't personally do it because I don't have the time or inclination but that's my point of view.
    :wave:
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't anyone actually think it makes them look like a scrounger? Some on here talk about coupons. Well, thats one thing. But looking around for receipts I, quite frankly, find really laughable.
  • Mouschka
    Mouschka Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I am a long time CC points collector but I don't womble. The reason that Tesco hate wombling is that they are buying information from uas with the CC scheme. If we use receipts for products we haven't bought it will make the data they have on us useless. I am not really against wombling but I think there are better ways to collect points that will ensure that CC keeps giving T's and its customers what they want.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    Mouschka wrote: »
    I am a long time CC points collector but I don't womble. The reason that Tesco hate wombling is that they are buying information from uas with the CC scheme. If we use receipts for products we haven't bought it will make the data they have on us useless. I am not really against wombling but I think there are better ways to collect points that will ensure that CC keeps giving T's and its customers what they want.

Isn't their collection of information part of the 'price' you pay for the CC scheme? Its the way I have always viewed it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure