Mobile phone at aged 9?

Options

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im sorry but it IS all about status now, why else would you buy an iphone for a young child? whether you can afford it or not it is not really necessary is it?

My point is at that age you dont need one iphone never mind 3 different things to make calls, play games on or listen to music.

Why cant children have proper toys instead of all these expensive gadgets?

What do you call "proper" toys then ? Bit off topic here really though. My son got his first Game Boy when he was 5, he's 25 now, do you disapprove of that too ?
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    I'm (usually) friendly :).

I've long since given up being remotely judgemental about what parents choose to spend their money on for their kids (although occasionally I still inwardly initially go :eek: at the though of a 2-year old getting an ipad for instance). But hey, its none of my business.

:T Quite! :D
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Im sorry but it IS all about status now, why else would you buy an iphone for a young child? whether you can afford it or not it is not really necessary is it?

My point is at that age you dont need one iphone never mind 3 different things to make calls, play games on or listen to music.

Why cant children have proper toys instead of all these expensive gadgets?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you, including emsywoo - no, an 8-year old doesn't need an Iphone.

But lets say its the old £60 model. Are you saying that you will never pay £60 for a toy for your son? Because he wants it/you want to buy it for him? Or never let anyone else buy him a £60 toy? He won't need it, it won't be necessary, but he might like it anyway?

Just asking.
  • emsywoo123
    Options
    Im neither rude nor jealous, just giving my opinion.

Well in my opinion, you are not being very pleasant in the way you are phrasing yourself (not you exclusively).

Get an iPhone, download some apps, it will relax you in no time :rotfl:
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jeez! I didnt get my first mobile phone until i was 19 years old and yes it may have been a few years ago now (im 33) i certainly didnt need one before then, although i do see why a teenager would have one these days.

It just beggars belief why people feel the need to give their very young children mobile phones when they clearly dont need one.
    My son certainly wont be getting one until he is in secondary school and has to go out alone.

What the hell is an 8 year old going to do with an iphone? SERIOUSLY!?

Times change.

Children don't NEED most of the toys they have, they would do fine with a few books, some paper and pens, but hey, parents have been buying their children toys the don't NEED for decades.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Air_Cooled_75
    Options
    I'm 39 and wondering how anyone of my generation managed to survive childhood :)
  • emsywoo123
    Options
    I'm 39 and wondering how anyone of my generation managed to survive childhood :)

I am only 8 years younger........I survived too :D
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But lets say its the old £60 model. Are you saying that you will never pay £60 for a toy for your son? Because he wants it/you want to buy it for him? Or never let anyone else buy him a £60 toy? He won't need it, it won't be necessary, but he might like it anyway?

Just asking.

I think the oldest iphone model that you can buy new (3gs), will cost you about 5- 6 times as much as that I'm afraid.
  • AllyS
    AllyS Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son had a phone at 9. It is a free phone my Dad got him from the paper. He hardly uses it but he always has it with him when out playing. They only play in the fields, can see them from my house but it means I can text him when dinner is ready and he can let me know if he decides to go in with a friend. I probably wouldn't have bought him a phone if I am honest, but it has come in very handy. Also if we go to busy places I make sure he has his phone, that way there is no worrying on his part if we do get separated I can call him and stay in touch until we are back together again.

I know people that have given their old iPhones to young kids for playing on the games etc... I don't understand what the issue is, the world has changed maybe not for the better but only time will tell, who are we to judge other people :)
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If we are bringing it down to need then kids dont need toys. I'm sure most were happy to play with a card board box, peg bag, upturned saucepans etc but I'll be willing to bet your kids have toys, they didnt need those did they really but you chose to buy them anyway.

Much like this situation, kid didn't need phone, but parent chose to buy one. Make and model of phone is by the by really. Everyone seems to throw their arms up in dismay over iPhones but there are many old models out there that can be purchased for less than your crappy Argos Alcatel jobs. Just because its an iPhone it doesn't mean its an out of the box all singing all dancing 4s does it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure