Mobile phone at aged 9?

Options

Comments

• emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    First birthday party= NORMAL :)

I don't know your financial situation, so I am polite enough to not comment.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My DD12 had her first mobile around 9 I didn't agree to it but her dad gave her his old model. She really hardly ever used it because very few of her friends had one. she's now in high school and desperate for an I phone supposedly her friends have one. That was no way I just myself got one and I work very hard to afford it! DAte got my old one when he started walking from school to activity club once a week he's already manage to lose it. He's not interested at all Saad only for security reasons. StrangelyI'm much Les bothered with them having a basic mobile than having Facebook. DD it's still not allowed at 12. I find 9 to be way too young.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,896 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

I draw the line at an Iphone, can't see the fascination with Blackberrys either, clucky things with a minute screen and stupid buttons.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • thatgirlsam
    thatgirlsam Posts: 10,451 Forumite
    Options
    My 12 year old dd has a phone, just a cheapie, wanted to see if she would lose it first!

She got one at 10 when she started going out alone, walking to school etc

She has not wnated, nor would she be allowed yet, a fb account.

After seeing the abuse my 13 year old nephew gets on his wall I really don't want her having one, ever! I guess thats unrealistic though

She has said she would like a Blackberry for her birthday this year which I will consider. She has kept her cheap phone for 2 years without breaking or losing it.

Don't see a problem with older children having expensive phones etc
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I think there might be a little squeal of joy inside me if my son requested a blackberry/ Iphone. He just doesn't care. He'd rather leave school, run home to ask me if he can go somewhere and run back again than pick up his phone and use it. I actually had to force the child to get one against much protesting!
  • glitter03
    glitter03 Posts: 871 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Blackberry which i love. I would never want an iPhone because i dislike touchscreen only phones...i like a keypad!

Also to those saying they would not want their children to have a Blackberry because of BBM. You can download an app called WhatsApp for free on ANY smartphone which does the same thing as BBM. In fact i prefer it to BBM!
    :coffee:
  • Jo.G
    Jo.G Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    My eldest got his first phone at 7. Not my choice, as he didnt 'need' one. It was a cheap PAYG. He got bored of it very quickly and rarely used it. He has a slightly better phone now, still a hand me down, which he does take with him each day now he's at secondary school. But in the holidays he doesnt always remember to take it out with him, its often uncharged or has no credit. He isnt that interested in the latest models and doesnt really use it.
    Once my youngest turned 7yr, he asked for a mobile becuase he knew his older brother had got one at the same age. He was given an old phone with a PAYG sim. That phone is probably still in the desk drawer and I dont even think its had any additional credit put on.
    Maybe its a boy/girl thing, boys dont seem as obsessed with texting their mates as girls do.
    I wouldnt buy my eldest an iphone, simply because I know he would probably loose it and I wouldnt want him to be without a phone when he's at going to and from school. I have an iphone, if I upgrade it in the future I may keep my old model and give that to my eldest once we both know he's responsible enough.
    As for Facebook, the 12yr old got a laptop for Christmas and I allowed him to create an account. He was on it over Christmas quite a bit but again, the novelty appears to have worn off.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jo.G wrote: »
    My eldest got his first phone at 7. Not my choice, as he didnt 'need' one. It was a cheap PAYG. He got bored of it very quickly and rarely used it. He has a slightly better phone now, still a hand me down, which he does take with him each day now he's at secondary school. But in the holidays he doesnt always remember to take it out with him, its often uncharged or has no credit. He isnt that interested in the latest models and doesnt really use it.
    Once my youngest turned 7yr, he asked for a mobile becuase he knew his older brother had got one at the same age. He was given an old phone with a PAYG sim. That phone is probably still in the desk drawer and I dont even think its had any additional credit put on.
    Maybe its a boy/girl thing, boys dont seem as obsessed with texting their mates as girls do.
    I wouldnt buy my eldest an iphone, simply because I know he would probably loose it and I wouldnt want him to be without a phone when he's at going to and from school. I have an iphone, if I upgrade it in the future I may keep my old model and give that to my eldest once we both know he's responsible enough.
    As for Facebook, the 12yr old got a laptop for Christmas and I allowed him to create an account. He was on it over Christmas quite a bit but again, the novelty appears to have worn off.

You're right, boys don't seem quite as obsessed with phones as girls, it's a gossip thing i think ! Not many blokes do gossip do they ?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savinder wrote: »
    To young for phone i think miminum 15/16 personally

Do you have any children ?
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Its quite simple for me really. If parent can afford to buy child a phone and parent deems their own child sensible/mature enough to have a phone then it's nobody else's business but their own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure