Mobile phone at aged 9?

Options

Comments

• hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    Im sorry but it IS all about status now, why else would you buy an iphone for a young child? whether you can afford it or not it is not really necessary is it?

My point is at that age you dont need one iphone never mind 3 different things to make calls, play games on or listen to music.

Why cant children have proper toys instead of all these expensive gadgets?

I have to ask but as you reckon its all about status is that why you were insistant on having a party for his 1st birthday when you didn't have the money?
    :j
  • samwich1979
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    From experience, (my kids are 11 and 25) i think you'll find your opinions will change as your son grows up. Babies aged 1 don't need much, older kids don't need phones, but times change, very quickly, as you'll soon discover.

Maybe im kind of old fashioned and yes i know that things change very quickly but it doesnt mean i'll be one of those parents who will spend out loads on my child.
  • samwich1979
    Options
    hunters wrote: »
    I have to ask but as you reckon its all about status is that why you were insistant on having a party for his 1st birthday when you didn't have the money?

And i have to tell you that you are off topic and it has NOTHING to do with the OP's question.

I see that you are new here and following numerous people who like to drag up old threads to make yourself look good.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    babymoo wrote: »
    Because she is still a vulnerable child, not an adult. What on earth would you do if she was mugged or something equally horrific, having any kind of expensive mobile phone or indeed any mobile phone at that age makes a child even more vulnerable as far as I am concerned.

Obviuosly you know your child and know wether they can cope with this responsibility, it just saddens me that children grow up too quickly these days and I don't think that some parents help matters.

she's 8 - its more than likely the iphone doesn't go outside the house with her, and its more than likely her parents take her/are with her when she's outdoors.

To be honest, I'd imagine theres more chance of a teenager with an iphone being mugged "or something equally horrific" as they are more likely to be out and about without parental supervision, with their iphones in plain sight.
  • babymoo
    babymoo Posts: 3,187 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly balletshoes, she's 8. As we have already found out on here, some parents let their children lock up and go to school on their own at 8. All I'm saying is I don't agree with it, no one has to like my opinion but emsy stated that her 8 year old has an iphone and was waiting to be called a bad mum so I took that as she knew she was going to get flak and was probably looking for it. It is not the reason for my opinion but if she doesn't like the opinions then she shouldn't post somethign on a public forum.

Most will disagree with my opinion but then again I dont really care :)
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    she's 8 - its more than likely the iphone doesn't go outside the house with her, and its more than likely her parents take her/are with her when she's outdoors.

BalletShoes hurrah!

Nobody asked, the scaremongers on here have made assumptions-indeed her iPhone never leaves the house :D
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    I'm 22 and have an iphone and yes its a worry at the weekend when out and about but its insured free through work and I bought it cash myself.

I think those talking about BBs will find the natural progression will be to iphones as most of the teens are heading that way when they are paying for their own phone.
    :j
  • emsywoo123
    Options
    babymoo wrote: »
    Exactly balletshoes, she's 8. As we have already found out on here, some parents let their children lock up and go to school on their own at 8. All I'm saying is I don't agree with it, no one has to like my opinion but emsy stated that her 8 year old has an iphone and was waiting to be called a bad mum so I took that as she knew she was going to get flak and was probably looking for it. It is not the reason for my opinion but if she doesn't like the opinions then she shouldn't post somethign on a public forum.

Most will disagree with my opinion but then again I dont really care :)

For goodness sake, I never said I didn't like opinions, just that people are really rude. Calling me mental (or agreeing with that) is bang out of order.

I said about getting flak based on previous posts on this thread, not that I think I am.

In fact I am a very good mum :D
  • emsywoo123
    Options
    hunters wrote: »

A first birthday party? Status alert! :D
  • samwich1979
    samwich1979 Posts: 526 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2012 at 1:10PM
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    A first birthday party? Status alert! :D

First birthday party= NORMAL :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories