Please HELP MSE test new cheap contact lens tool

Options

Comments

• carolinesb
    Options
    Hello I have just used the contact lens toolbar and have found it didn't have the lenses that I use, however, even after checking the prices I still found my lenses to be cheaper then the ones recommended to me. I use Daysoft contact lens, saves me loads of money each year and because they are dailies my eyes feel are so much better. try them. :j
  • pcuk22
    Options
    Specsavers are still by far cheaper than buying lenses online. I get the lenses and solutions posted to me at home, as many check ups (usually £20 each) as I need, and sight tests (usually £20 each) as I need, for free. Also I recently split one of my lenses and I was given a free lens to replace this. AND I get a free pair of glasses for being on lensmail. To buy the same lenses online, I would only be saving about £10, but missing out on all of the extras (free sight test/check up/ glasses...).
  • LilMo
    LilMo Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Think this is a great idea.
    However searched for my son's Ciba Vision Focus Dailies Aquacomfort Plus lenses and the cheapest option displayed for 3 months supply (90 pairs) was still £20 more expensive than the site we regularly use (£80 compared to £60) lenscatalogue.co.uk

Might be worth adding them.
  • sepinroth
    sepinroth Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello
    Thank you for a great new tool for finding contact lenses. I never buy mine at the opticians, as the prices are horrendous.

I bought mine for ages (Bausch, PureVision monthlies for constant wear ) at Lensway.co.uk. The cost was approx. 55 GBP for 6 months (different eyesight in each eye, so I have to buy 2 boxes). They had a massive price increase recently so I had to turn elsewhere.

I have purchased the same lenses from GetLenses.nl and they were much cheaper. I paid 40 GBP for 6 months supply, right now they are for 43.95 GBP plus shipping (about 3-4 GBP) from the Netherlands.

Whenever possible I look for voucher codes for specific websites - it usually brings shipping for free.

All popular solutions are in the markets. Since I am lucky to wear lenses at all times (I am extremly shortsighted) I only need to flush them occasionally. The prices range from 2 to 8 GBP in all markets.

I have never had any issues with solutions (usually buy Bausch or Johnson) from the markets or online and overseas retailers - highly recommend them to get massive savings. I would not buy the lenses outside Europe.

At the moment my yearly cost of contact lenses is approximately 120 GBP (lenses, solutions and shipping). Plus 20 if I do an eye test.
  • safetyzone
    safetyzone Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    They're beating all the listed prices for Acuvue Moist.
  • wrenlegs
    wrenlegs Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2012 at 1:39PM
    Options
    I buy as I go (usually just one months supply at a time). I dont wear them every day and cant buy in bulk as my prescription changes so much.

I use Ciba Vision dailies aquacomfort plus. On the tool, I select ciba vision and then dalies but there is no aquacomfort plus option. But if I click soflens the manufacturer defaults (so I cant choose any ciba vision lenses:cool:).

I usually see the cashback offers on quidco and then check any voucher codes - esp free delivery. I also try to use a UK based store as in the past it has take AGES for them to arrive from overseas.

I would defo use this tool if/when my lenses are included on it. Great work MSE :)

ETA: ooh. Its working now (maybe I wasnt giving it enough time to let it register my selections. OK. The cheapest price from the tool has come from ASDA at £28.02. But I just got a box from Feel good Contact lenses for £26.60 (I found a code and got cashback). Hmmm. Ill use the tool AND also do my own research. Great idea though MSE.
    :money: Saving money, saving the environment and saving space (aka decluttering) - my motto this year!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I use D&A (now Boots)Contact lens at homescheme, this includes regular check ups and discounts off glasses. It also gives 10% off Boots own make products (including make-up - No. 7 and 17) in Boots stores.

The real money saving is that, if I end up with too many lenses at home (I don't wear them every day) I can put the payments on hold for 6 months at a time, restart for 1 month and then stop for another 6 months if necessary.

So in extreme, you can pay for 2 months in every 14 months, get discount on Boots products, discount on glasses, free check-ups which would cover the 2 months payments.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Judep_2
    Judep_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I use lenscatalogue (sorry, can't link, am a posting newbie!) - not listed on the checker, but cheaper for my lenses (Acuvue Purevision and Toric).
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 April 2012 at 4:18PM
    Options
    A lot of newbies posting raving about Daysoft which is a bit odd, and they've been mentioned earlier in the thread already :cool:, and by me too, a few times.

Thanks for the suggestions of other sites, sepinroth, have to look. One I tried recently was a US site called visiondirect.com. First orders have 25% off (code: 25NEW) and I got yearly vial coloured lenses for $9.99 an eye, crazy cheap (though I could share pictures of them I found on anime/contact lens forums, they do look quite vibrant). Obviously there might be a customs charge in there too. http://www.visiondirect.com/trucolour-elite-contact-lens/qxp210999?catid=10890 From the reviews, some people prefer the Venus option, which is about $5 more expensive, and are yearly too.

*Yearly vial lenses are usually much more expensive, and reckoned to be more popular in Europe/UK than the US, which might explain the prices? Not sure, but Visiondirect seem reputable.

Edit: Getlenses.nl comes up as http://www.getlenses.co.uk/ when you look for it on a search engine. They appear to have a York, UK address, but I'm guessing you mean the .nl option works out cheaper.
  • Sunnybell
    Options
    I get my lenses from daysoft which are way cheaper than any mentioned here... If your prices are for 1 pair per year that is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure