Please HELP MSE test new cheap contact lens tool

Options

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for this. I thought I had a good deal using a discount coupon, but your tool suggests more reasonable alternatives. :)

Is there scope for starting the search by entering type of lens and prescription? Entering existing lens brand simply limits the choice to that of the last practitioner.

In my case, my prescription was not available from some suppliers when I was doing my own search a month or so ago. A search engine where I could enter my prescription would be really useful.
  • damo24
    damo24 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Just used this and thought it was great to show the prices of lenses. It's difficult for me to compare though as my plan is £15 a month for the lenses, solution and all contact lens check appointments. So although the lenses themselves may appear a lot cheaper at around £7 a month, when I add in the cost of solution and lens checks I probably wouldn't save anything. Maybe adding a price comparison or a table to show solution prices would be good, and general lens check prices. Just a thought.

I cannot stress how important it is to factor this in. I pay £13 per month for my lenses, cases and solutions. I get 2 check-ups each year, 2 free replacement lenses each year should I loose or damage any and a free pair of glasses.

I could not find my exact lenses on your system (Specsavers Easy Vision Irisian Sphere DIA 14.2) although judging from the descriptions etc I think they might be similar to the "Elite Monthly (diameter 14.0). If so, I would save about £75 per year by buying the lenses direct but would more than likely spend nearly that amount again on solutions, check-ups etc.
  • fresian_cow
    fresian_cow Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    damo24 wrote: »
    I cannot stress how important it is to factor this in. I pay £13 per month for my lenses, cases and solutions. I get 2 check-ups each year, 2 free replacement lenses each year should I loose or damage any and a free pair of glasses.

I could not find my exact lenses on your system (Specsavers Easy Vision Irisian Sphere DIA 14.2) although judging from the descriptions etc I think they might be similar to the "Elite Monthly (diameter 14.0). If so, I would save about £75 per year by buying the lenses direct but would more than likely spend nearly that amount again on solutions, check-ups etc.

Exactly! And considering the hassle of having to remember to order these things over the convenience of them just arriving on the doorstep quarterly it isn't worth it unless there is somewhere you can get the solutions from very cheaply.
  • carrotmuseum
    Options
    No sign of "hard" contact lens suppliers. Gas permeable contact lens are still very popular.
  • midian
    midian Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    i have found this tool very useful. i have only recently come to the idea of internet shopping for my contact lens. with this checker i realise my independent optician is charging me top whack. but he has a shop, staff etc. luckily i still have to go to him for my eye checks & glasses. i don't want to completely change as i have been there for over 30 years. i would hate to see his shop disappear: the high street looks pretty manky as it is.

previously i was prescribed 'acuvue moist' dailies. i can keep them in all day without noticing them. i find acuvue is fairly expensive. this checker is very timely for me as they are about to run out!

i tried the daysoft for the first time about 2 months ago. 'silk' were awful (they gave me a full refund) and the 'classic' are good for about five hours - then my eyes hurt.

does anyone know where i can get trial single boxes (or even better a weeks trial supply) of other brands?

ideally i wish there was a tray of similar-but-cheaper for all versions that i could sample before i buy in bulk.
  • LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2012 at 10:29AM
    Options
    Acuvue quite recently offered a month's trial of lenses, with a voucher..think it runs out the end of April. Though that would only give you a trial of Acuvue's lenses (the more expensive TruEye was listed on there..I got on well with both Moist and TruEye, one in each eye by the examining optician as a trial). Tesco accepted my voucher, after the £15 fitting fee.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3899275&highlight=acuvue+voucher

I've not seen anywhere that offers a genuine trial, most websites offering "trial vouchers" always ask you to take it along to your opticians to try a pair of X brand out (a bit pointless as your optician offer a pair of any brand you're interested in anyway).

Would also be great if retailers and manufacturers offered trial multipacks of coloured contacts. There's such a big selection now, and it's all trial and error.

Thanks for the feedback on Daysoft Silk; haven't seen many reviews of it. I'm going to try them soon. I wore the regular ones for years but they do give me dry eyes.
  • Jlkyle262
    Options
    You have failed to mention charges for any emergency appointment due to contact lens problems in addition to routine checks. If you purchase lenses via Internet most places will charge £25 for each appointment (usually every 6 months PLUS any emergencies!)
  • tor-bug
    Options
    Hello,

I can't see Daysoft lenses on the tool, but they are by far the cheapest I have found.
    The sell boxes of 32 lenses for 5.99 plus 25p delivery charge. Min order 2 boxes.
    You need a valid prescription to register etc...
  • permabroke
    Options
    No sign of "hard" contact lens suppliers. Gas permeable contact lens are still very popular.
    Agree absolutely - yet it sometimes feels that GP lenses don't exist these days, no one seems to mention them at all! I've tried soft and can't get on with them at all.
  • d.o.o.g
    d.o.o.g Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    I get my lenses here --> daysoftContactLenses.com

Including delivery, for two months supply (64 pairs), it costs me £24.96.

That seems way cheaper than any of the option on the checker...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure