PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 April 2012 at 2:54PM
    Options
    abitofhelp - I've added your Chilli cornbread to the recipe list

jumblejack, I've added your Herby Cheese bread to the list

rising from the ashes, I've added your Aubergine & Courgette Bake & Roasted peppers stuffed with savoury rice to the listit's good to be back! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • TheThriftyScrumpers
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    :hello: I'm back! Seems such a long time since I was here; its been a great few weeks with DS wedding and DD and family over from Oz. Its taking me a while to get my breath back and to get the house back to normal but I'm winning :D

I'll be going back through the March and April threads this week to pick up any recipes but for the sake of my addled brain :o I will put any new recipes on this (May) thread.

Hope you're all ok and winning the battle of the budget. I'll try to catch up with all the news as I go through the threads. Good luck for May :)

Hi Rosie

I have been thinking of you. So glad the wedding went well xx
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    did omlettes for dinner and am doing leek and quorn pie for tea
    youngest Ds having early tea (pizza as hes got a club)
    off to cook his and pep ours now
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slinking back as well after a long term absence. It is ridiculous (to borrow ds1's favourite word) how much we spend when I don't keep track. Can you put me down for £350 for the month although I'm hoping to get it closer to £300 as we have plenty in.

Spent £16.68 in MrT today - part of that for ds2's Home ec exam - lamb koftas, so I've told him to bring them home for packed lunches the next day!!

I also defrosted the small freezer - the door was frozen shut so have found some more stuff in there to use up. I also have £54 to pay for the month for my veggies and a doz eggs each week that are delivered so will add that to the total now.

Made 2 of D&DD's apple braids yesterday - great way to fill up teenagers, especially if you sneak some wholemeal flour in.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome back Rosieben!

Congrats sallybunny!

We spent £1.47 today, on a half price frijj and three packs of cheapo scotch pancakes. DD has decided these are her fave breakfast, and eats them really quickly, so I figure that's a good thing! The children worked out how much it was goign to be (60p and 3x29p!) and got out the money from my purse, working out how much change we'd get too. Awesome!

Have rounded up my April spends, as I'm so appalled! Aiming for £40 for May. I have so much stuff in, that this should be easily achievable, but in practice, I know that I fall for so many of the gimicks and spend more than I need to. This month, my aim is to run in, run round, and run out!! (Obviously paying...)

Tomorrow is traditionally my veg-round-a-sm day, as the ch are with their dad, so I will NOT go to a sm tom. I don't need anything, and quite frankly, there's nowhere to put anything anyway! Weds Thurs and Fri will be nsds as dd is in a show at the theatre, and I have to ferry her round. Sat will prob be a spend, as we have to buy a present for a party ds is going to, and I shall get bread, milk, and the right amount of fruit and veg then, to save me going again on Sun. So, my hope is that I will have 1sd and 6nsds by the 7th of May...

I love 15s! I haven't made them for a year, and I'd almost forgotten about them! Have all the stuff in, may have to make them this month!!

Night all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Rosieben "Hi" - great to see you back and lovely that everyone enjoyed themselves:D

Sallybunny ...... congratulations!:D

Will be glad to see the back of April ... been a very spendy month (and spent waayyyy too much) so looking forward to a frugal May!

Budget is down £120 this month but would really LOVE to get it to £100! Fingers crossed!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    just popping in to report a NSD. I have £20 to last the week - including some postage for ebay. Wish me luck!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • goodlife_wannabes
    Options
    Hi, I've not been on this thread for a few months and it shows! Need to get back in control. Please can you put me down for £200 for May. My month runs 15th to 15th now.
    MAR GC /£346
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your dinner 2017
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sallybunny congratulations to you and your OH :)

Well........I have attacked my budget already!! Eeeek! I was drawn to the Appr0ved Food website this morning and ordered a gazillion bags of bulghar wheat and couscous, crackers etc etc for £23 and then spent £11 in A$da as it was on my way back home and I needed bread and eggs, which thankfully I did remember to get amongst the £11 of stuff!!

Dinner tonight was pasta, pesto and leftover peas with watermelon for pud, nomnomnom.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 April 2012 at 8:21PM
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    :hello: I'm back! Seems such a long time since I was here; its been a great few weeks with DS wedding and DD and family over from Oz. Its taking me a while to get my breath back and to get the house back to normal but I'm winning :D

I'll be going back through the March and April threads this week to pick up any recipes but for the sake of my addled brain :o I will put any new recipes on this (May) thread.

Hope you're all ok and winning the battle of the budget. I'll try to catch up with all the news as I go through the threads. Good luck for May :)

Yay, :TWelcome back Rosieben :T- I only checked your recent posts yesterday to see if you had abandoned us but the last one said the wedding was in April - I hope it was a huge success. It's great to have you back.

Sallybunny - Congratulations!

Pennygrabber - in your frugal month, why not try hm scotch pancakes - make a thick pancake mix (1 egg, three heaped spoonfuls of flour and enough milk to make it thick & gloopy) use SR instead of plain flour and add some "bits" like dried fruit soaked in juice. If you don't have a solid plate use a frying pan - I wipe it with a piece of oiled kitchen paper then use a serving spoon to drop the mix in the pan - when the blisters burst, turn them over and after 20-30 seconds they are ready and lovely warm for breakfast

All the best
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport