PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Suffolk Lass - it's the long term plan to make them, just need to actually do it!! Thanks for the recipe, it sounds easier than one I had collected for them! Maybe I'll even have a go this weekend...

Yup, that's the plan, to make them this weekend. Thank you!!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Forgot my milk in the fridge at work today so £1.35 from Mays budget to add on extra milk from the corner shop. Oh well - should be sorted for milk for a while I guess.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all, wasnt going to log on tonight but i'm waiting for dishwasher & washing machine to finish before i go to bed. we have been invited out for a family birthday on friday evening so i will have to transfer money out of savings (£30 oh will be working). i have found a piece of frozen beef in the freezer so thats defrosting for a curry tomorrow. rest of the stuff is ready in the slow cooker & naan breads in the fridge. payday in two weeks for me so i will plan meals out of what i have in stock. hopefully that will keep the spends down.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • Twiceblessed
    Options
    Can you count me in for £180 this month. Aiming to stick within budget and eat a bit more healthily this month so less sneaky visits to the corner shop for sweets!
    January grocery challenge £159.43/£250.00
    February grocery challenge £209.53/£200.00
    March grocery challenge £165.66/£190
    April grocery challenge £186.27/£170.00
    May grocery challenge £22.51/£180.00
  • bikelesschick
    Options
    Just quickly stopping by to catch up with the thread and say thanks florenceem, rising from the ashes, fozziebeartoo, Save Dosh and anyone else I might have missed (only skim read as there were too many posts already! This thread is moving so fast!). We're all very excited this end!

Congrats to sallybunny :)

I had a small spend yesterday and had to buy some prescription food for poorly puppy today but will add these tomorrow once I've done my finances.
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • Becks81
    Becks81 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all!

Please can I be counted in again for May?

Have 2 kittens to add to the family, so for 1 adult 2 DD's (aged 6 & 7) and 2 kittens I would like to pledge a target of £230

Let's see if I can keep up the 100% record and make it 2 months in a row :D
  • chelseabun_3
    Options
    Hi, NSD for me today! I've been trying to get my head around Mothership's second purse system. I explained it to DH in bed last night (we are SOOO romantic!:D) and he thinks it's a great idea. So now I'm getting the hang of Kerri's 2nd purse spreadsheet!

Tomorrow I will be spending on parking and coffee, but if I can get up early enough, I'll make sandwiches and not have to spend on food!

Sleep well all :)
    CBx
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Had to do some shopping today - needed milk, fruit, potatoes, tomatoes plus other bits. I realised that I had not updated my spends - done so now - this is not going to be a good month - I have needed to buy things that I haven't spent on for a few months - toilet rolls/panti liners etc. I just want to end my May GC as low as possible.

We had HM wedges with HM cheese/onion pastie and salad - celery, cucumber,onion, rocket and tomato dressed with tarragon vinegar for dinner.

6983421228_ace072e852.jpg

Mr F will have a look in the freezer later - I would like him to find some HM sausage pie for tomorrow's dinner.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/378
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 78
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • kittywight
    kittywight Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    whooo first day starts tommorow! let the fun begin :)
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Wow Flo - you're almost up to your total April spend already! My aim is to beat you this month. That sounds bad when I write it like that, but you're such an inspiration, that if I can spend less than you for one month, I will feel very proud of myself iyswim! I'm hoping to do May for £40 or less, but I am starting with such stocks that it's a ridiculous challenge, esp if you look at my April epic failure. And I know we don't fail on here, but that really can be counted as a fail! No amount of excuses and reasons will explain that away...

I have a few questions. I will sound stupid, but never mind. When is blackberry season? And when is sloe season? How much fat do I need for a pastry topper for a 6" pie? And, specifically for Florenceem, how do you do the garlic wedges you show us? Look lush, and would be a change from normal wedges.

TIA!

DD ate at a friend's today. They had McD. I don't mind them having that every now and then as a treat, but I had planned that in for Friday as we have zero time for dinner, so now I have to rethink that. DS had sausage casserole from the freezer, and I had his leftovers, then some ood bits and bobs. Cheap day! Tomorrow, the children are at their dad's for dinner (unless the baby starts coming), so I won't have to feed them then, and I'm at college, so I may have something like cheese toastie or soup for my dinner. Then Weds, ex is feeding ds, but I need to feed dd, she wants noodles (the 11p ones!). I'll have something, not sure what yet. Thursday I'm eating out with a friend, somewhere cheap, planned ages ago as it's dd's opening night at the theatre so it's a celebration. I will feed dd and ds beforehand, will make something nice, but not sure what yet. Possibly turkey bolognese. That's always nice for a change. Then Fri is crazy night, and the weekend I may be feeding my mum too as she's coming to watch dd in the theatre. TBH, I'll be glad when this week is over, in terms of the organisational side of it! Will do a real meal plan for next week, and will post it up at the weekend. Obviously, will be planned from what is in store... I'm keeping hold of that £40 for as long as I can!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport