Pix's aims, dreams and reality

pixnmix_2
pixnmix_2 Posts: 429 Forumite
edited 24 March 2012 at 6:37PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
In a moment of sheer madness, i have decided to put my ramblings on here to read back on when i'm tempted to overspend/ over-indulge/ waste cash (delete as appropriate or keep all 3, which is often the case!)

I aim to be mortgage free in 2024, which is when i hope to retire from work. After increasing my mortgage to pay off ex husband and buying a house on my own, my mortgage currently stands at £103,000. It was £109,000 when i moved here 17 months ago :eek:. I have worked out that to slice the 5 years off the mortgage term i need to start overpaying by £150 a month by December this year. Soooo... my project is to economise as much as possible to get the necessary furniture/ soft furnishings/ paint/ garden stuff to sort out my new house and make it a home before December so I can concentrate on ploughing as many pennies into the mortgage as i can after that.

Having achieved pretty much everything in my life that i aimed for so far(career etc) I know I can do this challenge. But procrastination is a real challenge for me, as is impulse buying on occasion...so i'm digging my heels in right now and looking to money save while home-making as much as i possibly can.

Comments

• pixnmix_2
    Thought i'd remind myself what I wrote when I started a blog elsewhere recently, which I'm about to delete cos I want all my ramblings in one place and cos I use the MSE site more than other at the moment. Here goes...

A list of all the ickle things i'm starting to do in my quest to be mortgage free:

1) Stop leaving the TV/ DVD player on standby mode. Uses no electricity when the power's off after all.
    2) Menu plan for a week at a time, cooking meals from scratch where possible and only buy what the recipes ask for.
    3) Batch cook said recipes and freeze the extra (if it's freezable)
    4) Coupon hunt and keep said coupons in the purse, not on the pinboard in the kitchen, where they eventually find the way from the board to the bin after they've expired!
    5) Use freebie websites to get free samples (I've just had a small tube of toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, washing liquid, one use size bottle of tabasco sauce, 2 Twinings fruit tea samples this week alone!)

6) Use the clothes maid to dry washing on if its too wet/ cold to do outside. Saves a fortune on tumble drying costs!!!
    7) Cook with beans or lentils at least twice a week to save on meat costs..and it's healthy too.
    8) Taking leftovers for lunch at work or making a one portion of couscous with chopped up egg/ tuna or whatever is going spare. Very filling, low on calories, and a lot cheaper than buying from the canteen ..a win win!!
    9) Baking my own cakes and giving as birthday presents
    10) Going to ask on freecycle for empty jamjars so that i can make my own jams/chutneys etc (to use as above) DONE
    11) Having been given a sewing machine, i'm going to learn to sew and make my own soft furnishings (bit ambitious but i loved sewing at school)

Ok, that'll do for now. I'm sure i'll find other ways of pinching the pennies as time goes on. :)
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hello Pix, welcome to MFW. You have got some good steps going on, well done.

What about surveys? No mention of them in your list - good way of getting vouchers towards treats or gifts, saving your own money whilst letting you do some of the impulse buying you referred to.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • pixnmix_2
    Hi Katsu :hello: and thanks :)

I've tried a survey site where it paid cash rewards per survey but got to a point where I had earned £3 ish (total needed before able to withdraw it is £20) and then for a few months every survey I entered I found I was unable to complete cos was "unsuitable" Got bored, stopped trying.

I get the email invites still so might have another go. Nothing to lose i guess :)
  • pixnmix_2
    Yesterday i ordered gravel for the back garden. Enough to replace the grass with ickle stones to make it a low maintenance oasis of calm..well, more like a lazy gardener's paradise :) From the original estimate of £1000 :eek: I found a good builders merchant whose total price including delivery was £250! Adding membrane to stop weeds it's about £280 in all but well worth it :)

Having said that, today OH and I got rid of 2 thirds of said grass by digging it up in sections, loading it into the car and taking it to the tip. 8 hours later saw 2 knackered middle aged labourers staggering down the path in need of hot showers, ibuprofen for the aching joints and a strong dose of common sense!

I'm now slumped on the sofa with the lappy, pleased with a good job done well and a small step on the path of getting the house in order ready for the big pay off challenge by the end of this year.
    And now to the telly....
  • pixnmix_2
    Just signed up on Gapbuster to become a mystery shopper..woohoooo go me!! Might bring in a few quid while having fun along the way.
  • Hello,

I wish you very good luck on your journey, I also had to start again after a break up and know what a long haul it can be. All the things on your list will help a lot towards you target. However, the thing I have found most helpful in cutting back is just to stay away from shops as much as possible. I now go to shops only every couple of months, apart from supermarket weekly shops. And then o ly if I really need something. And I buy it and go home! The result is a much healthier bank balance and much less clutter at home!

All the best

Squirrel:j
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • pixnmix_2
    Hi Squirrel

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to steer clear of shops or at least take only the cash i need for what I want to buy. Must try harder though and limit the trips as you do. Online shopping's my downfall though :mad: If only someone could invent a netnanny type programme to block all shopping website's i'd be ok ;)

But i'm on a mission now and determined to reach the target soooo positive thinking :)
  • pixnmix_2
    Checking in to report progress. Wanted a leg of lamb for Easter sunday....half price in tesco...result! Gravel is laid, but need another ton bag...£60..ouch but its a means to an end..garden sorted = one step forward to the December overpayment goal :) Oh and got 3 packs of whoopsied diced lamb yesterday from £4 a pack reduced to £1.63. All helps. :)
  • Hi Pixnmix, looking at your list, you have some good plans in mind. I wish you all the best on your journey.

Katsu mentioned survey sites, i do a couple and the money does mount up quietly. I also pay my council tax by credit card to get either cashback or Clubcard points, just have to remember to pay the CC.

Tiily
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • pixnmix_2
    That's a good idea Tilly. I have a Tesco credit card so could do the same. Might have to practice being organised first though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure