Broadband Help

Hi

My BT Broadband contract is up this month and they seem very expensive so i'm looking to switch. I currently pay about £36 per month for package 2 with evening and weekend calls. I rang them and they have offered to reduce to £24.85 a month. I don't download but use the internet a lot and watch tv on it sometimes. What are the other providers like? Sky seem cheap so do Tesco but don't know what the service is like. Can anyone give me advice? Looked at cheap broadband thread but it was confusing!!

Thanks Linda

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2012 at 1:02PM
    Linda1971 wrote: »
    Hi

I don't download but use the internet a lot and watch tv on it sometimes.

Everything you do on the internet is a combination of upload and download.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Streaming TV still uses data, as does uploading or downloading. Viewing a web page or sending an email uses data.
    Your monthly allowance is not measured by download alone, but by total data used, up and downstream.
    No specific advice on ISP's can be given without knowing the options on your exchange (since broadband is exchange-specific), so go to www.samknows.com and do an exchange search for your LLU options.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • poshparrot
    poshparrot Posts: 133 Forumite
    Hi

I currently pay about £36 per month for package 2 with evening and weekend calls.

From my understanding, package 2 means you get a 40GB download allowance along with the evening and weekend calls, which is presumably enough for yourself (i.e. you don't exceed 40GB).
    I rang them and they have offered to reduce to £24.85 a month.

Not bad, but by switching providers I think that you could save even more (end up paying less than £17 a month).

If you take a look at the uswitch website (click here) then it appears Sky is the bestseller - £17.25 for nine months then £22.75 for the final 3 months of contract, totaling £223.50

The best value deal is from Tesco and you get exactly the same as what Sky are offering: unlimited downloads + evening & weekend calls.
    Price: £16.25 a month for 12 months totaling £195
  • macman
    It will depend on what the LLU options are. If Sky is not available LLU then those prices do not apply. Which is why no proper advice can be given without the samknows data.
  • Linda1971
    Linda1971 Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    macman wrote: »
    Streaming TV still uses data, as does uploading or downloading. Viewing a web page or sending an email uses data.
    Your monthly allowance is not measured by download alone, but by total data used, up and downstream.
    No specific advice on ISP's can be given without knowing the options on your exchange (since broadband is exchange-specific), so go to www.samknows.com and do an exchange search for your LLU options.

Don't really know what this means. My area is Glasgow. Had a check on tesco and they don't provide. Sky site says Sky Broadband Everyday Lite and Unlimited are available:
    Estimated Access Line Speed: 1.4Mbps - 4.0Mbps Think I will go with sky. Thanks for all the replies
  • macman
    It's not the area, its the exchange-there will be at least half a dozen exchanges in Glasgow, not all will have the same LLU options.
    Either post the samknows data or post the name of your exchange, as supplied by a samknows exchange search.
  • Linda1971
    sorry its glenboig
  • macman
    So your only LLU options are Sky or TalkTalk: Sky is the obvious choice.
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSGLG
  • Linda1971
    Will try Sky. Thanks for your help

macman wrote: »
    So your only LLU options are Sky or TalkTalk: Sky is the obvious choice.
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSGLG
  • manulike
    manulike Posts: 71 Forumite
    To carry on with the OPs question, can some one please indicate if Tesco and Sky speeds will be equal to my current ISP (Virgin ADSL).
    My exchange is Cardiff Empire and at the moment I manage about 10Mb download and 1Mb upload with Virgin - which is really plenty for me.
    Sky, Tesco and TalkTalk all promise about 12-16Mb ... but I somehow doubt this.
    I assume, if the connection is via the phone line (no fibre optics available) - they should all be of equal speed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure