cake decorating courses

Options
Hi, I'm hoping to start my own business decorating wedding, birthday cakes etc. I wondered if anyone knew of any intensive training courses that specalise in this field. I live in Manchester but would be prepared to travel. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance, Jackie

Comments

• Mummy_Jo
    Mummy_Jo Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck with the business venture.

I've taken courses with run by my local sugarcraft shop. They are by no means intensive and they start from beginners right through to advanced. MAybe you could try that avenue. I also subscribe to a magasine cake craft and decoration which may have some info. I'll look later for you. I have a very ill toddler at the moment and an 11 week old baby so I'll post this evening when they go to bed.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    hope little'un is better soon!
    I'd be quite interested in this too as thinking of making my own cake for my wedding - but depends on whether I can master the skill!!!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • MrsJam
    MrsJam Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mummy Jo, any info would be great! Hope your toddler is feeling better soon. Jackie
  • Dr.Lou
    Dr.Lou Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I don't know about intensive courses, but I have been doing two part time ABC courses in both Wired Sugar Flowers and Cake Decorating at my local college.

It's not intensive, but after doing it since September, I feel I have learnt a lot and would feel confident decorating a simple wedding or birthday cake. A good book I can recommend is: The home guide to cake decorating by Jane Price. I bought it in WHSmith for £12.99 and it is very good; - both for ideas and instructions.

Good luck and if you need any info that maybe I can help you with, please do not hesitate to PM me.
  • Mummy_Jo
    Options
    Hi Both kids are in bed now.:j

Having flicked through my mag the only shop I can find in your area (that advertises) is SPARKLING SUGARCRAFT SUPPLIES and they are in Prestwich. It doesn't say whether they do courses or not but free demonstrations are available. Not sure whereabouts you live in Manc (I studied and worked there for a while). There are a few shops in the Liverpool and Derby areas. The only place advertising proper courses is for chocolate couverature which is a whole different ball game although it does look impressive.

I attended Sugar Celebrations classes in Swindon (they have a Gloucester shop too) The longest course is 4 weeks (night times 6 till 9) and at the end of the basic course you can marzipan and ice a fruit cake as well as make a simple flower decoration and put a garrett frill on the side. I know people who have attended the proper courses at the college and gained a city and guilds qualification out of it. I don't know much about the courses but people that I have spoken to say that the cake that I made in 4 weeks would take most of the year at college as the pace is much slower.

Once I had completed that course I just signed up to whatever took my fancy whether it was for one day (usually a Saturday or Sunday). I've attended individual courses for making flowers, doing run outs and icing a cake using royal icing. I've been on loads - and spent a fortune. You may have already worked out that there is a ton of equipment you can own. Watch ebay for people like myself or rather those who have gotten sick of decorating cakes and selling things job lot a whole bundle cheaper than in the shops.

With cake decorating practice makes perfect. I've made three wedding cakes now for family and friends and I am now making my brothers too. I enjoy making them but as I am not a professional and have two small kids it takes loads of my time but you do get quicker.

My advice is to make all birthday cakes for friends and family whether they want one or not. This will help build up your portfolio for potential customers. If they feel inclined they could reimburse you or cover the cost of any extra equipment you may need to buy.

There are also loads of really good authors out there - and some not so good ones too. Again ebay can be a good place to look. The Mag that I get every month is brilliant. It has step by step colour photos showing you how to make allsorts of really impressive cakes. A kind of paint by numbers thing.

I could go on for ages and ages... So, if you have any questions at all please let me know. I'll try and help.

Oh and Tine following your other thread (choc fountain). I've had a few ideas how you could do a wedding cake cheap and one that would not look like it was decorated at home too! It's sad when you think about MSE in the middle of the night whilst breastfeeding:rotfl:
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    British Sugarcraft Guild:

http://www.bsguk.org/who.html

Have a look at above - have branches Manchester way. They should be able to point you towards classes.
  • MrsJam
    MrsJam Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some great advice, really appreciate it. Mummy Jo I'll check out the place you mention in Prestwich, thanks again.
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MummyJo - What is the mag that you subscribe to called please?
    Thanks - and hope the kids are better soon :)
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BSG is your first port of call. They will put you in touch with your local Sugarcarft branch who should be able to point you in the right direction. Quite a few branches have left BSG now and "go it alone" but you should find some help from them. Lillian at National has been there for years and is very helpful and knowledgeable. You could also post on the website asking where local classes are.

If you are able to get away for a few days Squires Kitchens in Surrey hold 3/4/5 day long courses. They aren't cheap but they do have some excellent people teaching you. Their next exhibition is 16/17/18th March where you will see good demo's at the traders tables and be able to find out more. Have a look at their website http://www.squires-group.co.uk.

Marion Frost of Patchwork Cutters has a good website where she shows you how to make a different item each month. Well worth looking at.

FMM - their website has worksheets that you can download (free of charge) showing you how to make flowers, decorate cakes etc etc.

Squires publish their magazine four times a year. Cake Craft & Decorating publish monthly and hold an exhibition at the NEC every November. I can get loads of back dated issue for you and send them to you as my local Sugarcraft shop sells them half price after a certain date and reduces them even further at a later date. She has issues going right back to the beginning give or take a few sold out.

Hope this helps. I did my C&G over 10 years ago at my local college. Never picked up any icing equipment in my life but fell head long into a sugarcraft exam course as that was all that was on offer! Good Luck with your adventure. I hope it all works out well for you.
  • Mummy_Jo
    Mummy_Jo Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    honey28 wrote:
    MummyJo - What is the mag that you subscribe to called please?
    Thanks - and hope the kids are better soon :)

The Mag is called Cake Craft and Decoration. I've just looked on ebay and people are selling old issues. This may be a good way to build up a collection. Each month is £3.40 if you buy from agents. I subscribe so get it a little cheaper. I can certainly recommend it. My local sugar craft shop sell it too.

Thanks for asking after the kids my little boy has Influenza B and is very poorly. I've been told it can go on for 2 weeks! Its a nasty bug.

Any more questions then please ask

Jo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family