BT Broadband & Rental In Advance

Options
I got a great broadband/phone deal from BT a year ago for an 18 month contract. I also paid £120 for a years rental in advance.
The advance rental has now gone up to £129 and is now due if I want to take it up.

I can get a much better deal than the standard BT broadband price in August so is it worth paying the rental in advance?

Are BT likely to offer me a similar deal to stay with them? If they don't offer me a similar deal I might as well pay £10.75 rental for the next six months.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They'll usually offer a deal. But since they are so expensive in the first place, it's still likely that you can get a better deal elsewhere even on a standard rate.
    If you don't want to move to an LLU service then Plusnet is the obvious cheaper alternative to BT, assuming that you are not on a Market 1 exchange. They also offer a similar Line Rental Saver scheme, which brings the cost to £9.99pm equivalent.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

The trouble is the I am in a Market 1 exchange. Although Talktalk moved in in Dec11 it hasn't been upgraded yet!

Talktalk will be much cheaper than the standard BT offering but Talktalk hasn't got a good name!

If BT offer me £5 a month again for BB I would go for it for I don't fancy paying them over £16 a month!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    So once TT have LLU available, it should become a Market 2 exchange. Which will bring Plusnet Value down to £6.49.
    TT are cheap, but for a reason.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Iconic
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    So once TT have LLU available, it should become a Market 2 exchange. Which will bring Plusnet Value down to £6.49.
    TT are cheap, but for a reason.

Thanks that would be great.

Samknows says 'TalkTalk (CPW): Enabled as of 02/12/2011' but the Ofcom Classification is still Market 1.

How long does it take to become Market 2?
  • houseofpat
    houseofpat Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    I renewed last week. I paid my line rental upfront at £120 on renewal just before 6th March and I am paying £13.60 a month for Option 3 including unlimited anytime calls for 12 months.
  • Iconic
    Options
    houseofpat wrote: »
    I renewed last week. I paid my line rental upfront at £120 on renewal just before 6th March

It seems to be £129 now:mad:
    houseofpat wrote: »
    I am paying £13.60 a month for Option 3 including unlimited anytime calls for 12 months.

I have not had any problems with BT broadband and would stay with them if the price is right.

Does your package still restrict you to the 10gb limit? I think I will need a greater limit on my next contract.
  • houseofpat
    houseofpat Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    I am on unlimited broadband for this price.
  • Supatramp
    Supatramp Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    I've also just recently paid £120 for my BT line rental, and got Option 3 BB + anytime calls for £13.60 a month.
    This is a 2nd year renewal, my 1st year was uneventful on a similar deal. I moved from AOL who were increasing my BB to £19.99, barely 2mb, and after the settling-in period with BT I've been getting 5/6mb.
    Every so often the internet goes off but a quick switch-off for a minute sorts it.
    David.
  • Iconic
    Options
    Supatramp wrote: »
    I've also just recently paid £120 for my BT line rental, and got Option 3 BB + anytime calls for £13.60 a month.

Do you have a download limit of 10gb with your package? I think 10gb is standard but 'houseofpat' got unlimited but I am not sure if he had to ask for it.
  • Supatramp
    Supatramp Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    Iconic wrote: »
    Do you have a download limit of 10gb with your package? I think 10gb is standard but 'houseofpat' got unlimited but I am not sure if he had to ask for it.

As previously posted, I'm on Option 3, the 10GB limit is Option 1.
    David.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport