PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• tricksie
    tricksie Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good day for me yesterday.

Brand new Episode tan leather wedges for £4 and a cone of coffee coloured chunky boucle wool for £1.50 Perfect to make a cabled throw on my chunky machine for the cats!! armchair.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Member Number 44
    :rudolf:Cross Stitch Is For Life Not Just For Christmas :rudolf:
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slightly better week in the chazza shops this week.....total spends, £3.50.

First find was a fine cotton, smocky-type top by Damart in an Aztec-type pattern for £1. (The hospice chazza was having an 'All women's clothes £1 day') :)

Today I found a Principles, brown leather 'statement-type' belt with the £32 price tag still attached for £1 :)

Then I found a tapestry rucksack, also in an Aztec-type of pattern for £1.50 :)

Very pleased with my finds :j
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Quite slim pickings for me this week. A pair of Damart jeans (look brand new) for £3.50, a new Cath Kidston mug for £1, a black top with big sequinned butterfly for DGD(4) for 99p and a Lesley Pearse book (The Promise) £1. All from AgeUK in Ripon.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In my favourite Barnardos today
    Brand new New Look straight leg jeans (I know they fit me well) 1.99
    Black wide legged trousers for work - seem quite new too 1.99
    Pretty green print cotton top 1.99
    Nothing for weeks in this shop, so my double size and height wise must have had a clear out again!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've discovered a charity shop that has a £1 section. I have a 12yo DD into drama, is very small height wise for her age, combined with her developing the family trait of being big busted! It makes costume buying for her shows tricky!

For her next show as Miss Hannigan in Annie, I found this week in the £1 section a size 6 top shop silver 'silk' effect cross over dress with an elasticated back. Suits the part so well.

Should she not want it after the show, I'll just donate it back to charity.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chazzers in Islington have lots of samples and new clothes in small sizes (8-10), but you're looking at £10+ . So not mega-bargains but I suppose would suit mid-range label-slaves. Nothing is really that cheap in this area.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have gotten my wedding veil in a charity shop for £5! And a possible pair of shoes for £6 :D

Been buying loads of stuff for DsS, he's not yet nine but he's fitting into age 11-12 stuff :shock: Also, he's about to go away to camp and we like to know if he looses or damages anything it's not anything really expensive! Best deal has been 2-3 pairs of Next shorts for about £2 each :)
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A brand new with tags ladies black suit jacket- from South. On the Very website at £29 but I paid £5 :) also a beautiful green printed scarf dotted with tiny diamantes- £3. Both from British Heart Foundation- I only needed them for my PIP tribunal but both will be worn again- the scarf especially, I bought it to wear on my head and it's absolutely beautiful and looks lovely on :)
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • asset2004
    asset2004 Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    Options
    Following up from my earlier post about negotiating on price TBH most CS I would never dream of doing that but I was intending to buy a higher priced item and this extra one that was marked. However they lost out as I decided against buying any of them as the manger refused.
    I find the stores with a paid for manager are the worst culprits when it comes to pricing way above the value of an item. In effect the stock is paying for their salary, not the true purpose of a charity shop.

There is a small CS run by a group of local elderly women from the village church, all funds go to refugees in Africa and they do a wonderful job in the community. They understand that it's better to get something for an item and sell it quickly in order to get new stock out on sale than have it hanging on a clothes rail for weeks on end. Top price is £5 but that's rare, most things are £2-3, with a 50p rail. They also have a really good second hand furniture section that is fairly priced too and some helpers also do home baking and plant cuttings, again all very reasonably priced. :)

I did witness two appalling 'customers' today. :( One man wanted a pair of branded trainers, they were boxed and brand new as I'd looked at them for my OH but were the wrong size and had only just been put out that day (as I was in yesterday) :). A bargain at £3, he tried to get them for £1 and when they refused was absolutely vile to the lovely ladies, shouting at them and behaving in a threatening manner. :eek: They wouldn't budge on price and neither would he so he left without them. :T
    Then just as I was leaving a smartly dressed woman came in, she wasn't local and I saw her pick the £2 label off a top and take it to the counter to insist it was £1. I did interupt and say it was £2 as I'd just checked its size earlier. :p She decided she didn't want it after that. :rotfl:
    Some people are just chancers and I really don't envy these ladies who are just volunteering in their spare time.

Again all this depends on the area and how wealthy it is. This area is pretty poor so the CS is a vital part of the community. :A
    Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
    Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you'll see further.
    Take time but don't waste time
  • littlepinkbiscuits
    Options
    Blimey, people peeling labels off and others kicking off over prices, not nice behaviour!!

Have found many lovely items in the charity shops in the past few months but forgot to share on here. However, the other day I found a lovely scarf for £1.99, thought it was a fake but bought it anyway.

IMG_0615.jpg

It has hand rolled and stitched edges (the main reason I bought it) and I believe it is the real deal! There is a cigarette end sized hole in one corner though, but I don't care as new ones of these cost £280. I believe this design is from 1972.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure