PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• purpleshoes_2
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Do any of the charity shops regularly stock odd balls of wool?

I was listening to this and fancied a creative moment.

In my area they do, but Im in Scotland which is rather a long way from where you are, my mum has loads of balls of wool shes bought from charity shops over the years
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Do any of the charity shops regularly stock odd balls of wool?

I was listening to this and fancied a creative moment.

Arthritis Concern seem to have a massive stock of new wool in both our local shops.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My local Cancer charity shop was the recipient of my clutter clearing efforts today (5 bags worth :eek::T:T) and whilst I was there I saw their Christmas cards were super, super reduced ... 69p and 79p a pack of 10 cards!

Don't mind if I do, so I bought 4 packs. That will have me sorted for Christmas this year :) feels odd writing that :p
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a gunmetal grey lace and silver sequin pencil skirt (H&M) for £5 from the Red Cross shop in Aberdeen.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    Not strictly CS but I went into Tesco today and was looking at reduced items when the sales assistant pointed me to the reduced clothes section. I got a load of xmas presents to put away for next year:

£5 thick slipper socks for £2
    4 pairs of good quality socks for £2
    Pair of boys xmas Despicable Me minion pjs for £3 (RRP £7.50)
    Pair of boys Spider-Man pjs for the same price
    Pair of fleecy ladies pjs for £4 (RRP £10)
    4 'Me to You' small xmas teddy bears for £1.50 each (RRP £6)

They also had pink ladies Tigger pjs reduced from £14 to £5 but, sadly, several sizes too big.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I was in Rubery today and nipped into Acorns just for a mooch, firstly I spotted a paperback book that I liked the look of so I bought it for £1.59 instead of £7.99. I then headed towards the bric a brac shelves (sorry I can't help it but I am always on the look out for some antique glass). I didn't find glass today but did find 4 mugs that have white exteriors but black interiors made by a company called Correlle and they are dishwasher and microwave safe - they cost me £4.99.

You might think it odd that I have gone for mugs with black interiors but I have a visual impairment and find that pouring milk or anything to a mug with a white interior quite difficult because I cannot work out how much has been put in but the black provides contrast.

One day I will have to go to Barnt Green as their charity shop is bound to have some wonderful bargains because of all the large houses in the area and families with oodles of cash for designer clothes.

To the person asking about wool - I know that locally to me one of the hospice shops always has loads of wool for sale.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice about wool, I shall ask in future.
    Horace wrote: »
    I didn't find glass today but did find 4 mugs that have white exteriors but black interiors made by a company called Correlle and they are dishwasher and microwave safe - they cost me £4.99.
    Corelle is an expensive US brand of tableware. It's hard-wearing and up there with Corningware.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Skadi
    Skadi Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2015 at 1:07AM
    Options
    Ooh, this is deffo gonna be my new favourite thread. Looking forward to reading all your bargains.

I'm a complete charity shop addict, it's where I do 90% of my shopping. xD The city has quite a few and I love my little town because it has five (make that six, just remembered another one)!!
    Best 2016 Wins - Nails Inc Bundle, Sebo Vacuum, Walking Dead Figure Subscription
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice about wool, I shall ask in future.Corelle is an expensive US brand of tableware. It's hard-wearing and up there with Corningware.

Corelle isn't expensive, it's seen as everyday stuff that's affordable.

It's microwave safe, can bake in it and freeze in it, just don't put it on the cook top or under the grill.

There are collectors of the stuff. I usually find mine in thrift stores and rarely pay more than $1/item, on line trader do a good business in resales.

A new set will run around $40 for four complete settings. http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/12058083-south-beach-16pc-set/938330

http://glasscookwares.com/cheap-vintage-cups-mugs.html

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6353066/il_fullxfull.335088557.jpgtem.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    I was in Rubery today and nipped into Acorns just for a mooch, firstly I spotted a paperback book that I liked the look of so I bought it for £1.59 instead of £7.99. I then headed towards the bric a brac shelves (sorry I can't help it but I am always on the look out for some antique glass). I didn't find glass today but did find 4 mugs that have white exteriors but black interiors made by a company called Correlle and they are dishwasher and microwave safe - they cost me £4.99.

You might think it odd that I have gone for mugs with black interiors but I have a visual impairment and find that pouring milk or anything to a mug with a white interior quite difficult because I cannot work out how much has been put in but the black provides contrast.

One day I will have to go to Barnt Green as their charity shop is bound to have some wonderful bargains because of all the large houses in the area and families with oodles of cash for designer clothes.

To the person asking about wool - I know that locally to me one of the hospice shops always has loads of wool for sale.

That's a fantastic find-I work with someone who is visually impaired and we take turns to make our coffee-we take our own mugs in (the state of the office mugs leaves a lot to be desired!) and I always try and take a dark coloured interior mug for that reason.
    Good find! :beer:
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family