PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Only a little bargain but one I am pleased with. Two china mugs (new as still with sticker on) for £1.98 from BHF in Skipton. One a Rachel Hale with cute doggy on and the other a cartoon cow design. At the rate DH drops mugs when emptying the dishwasher I can't have enough!!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Visited friends in New Zealand recently. Charity shops are called "op shops" over there (op for opportunity apparently). One had something I've never seen before- a big chest out front with a "free- help yourself" sign! They are not keen on landfill out there, so I suppose anything that reduces waste is a plus. I helped myself to a book of old sheet music, as I recall reading on this site somewhere that you can make retro paper chains from this, and a battered1960s children's paperback (I collect old pony books). I felt bad not spending any money, so then bought three hand crafted bookmarks, for about 75p. In another op shop I got a pony book by an American author that's rare to find in the UK for ~50p and a really pretty silk tea dress for ~£3.

Alas, I was drawn into a second hand bookshop ENTIRELY AGAINST MY WILL by the evil book gods, and ended up purchasing items that are not technically "bargains" at all, as books are mostly very pricey in NZ. I got a beautifully illustrated turn of the century hardback for my fella, who collects polar exploration books, and an old SF classic for me as I love the 60s artwork on these paperbacks.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Suzexxx
    Suzexxx Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :)

Been to Droitwich today and got a lovely brand new Topshop cream polka dot dress for £7.99. More than i'd normally pay, but the dress had £38 on the label.
    Also brought another That's not my...book 50p and an In the Night Garden DVD £1.50 for my DS.

Suze :)
    2015 wins :j Sekonda watch, Harry Potter hardback book,
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself! Today I bought a few things in a local c.s.
    A TUMI brand alpaca poncho, camel coloured, retails about £200! Mine for £13.99
    A Ghranhi Strok pink striped mohair jumper, bnwt, £8.99 , retails for £40-£50.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • MadelinesMum
    Options
    Hi all, went to a different town today, bought a few pairs of m & s trousers then saw a square ornament I liked. My daughter told me it was a sugar lump holder but I laughed and said it wasn't.

Got home and checked and it is one of these :
    http://www.kathleenhills.co.uk/tabletop/sugar-lump-pattern

So I had to apologise to dd, lol. A bargain at £1.50 but I don't think I'll use it for sugar.
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need. :hello:
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ha! Who even (apart from your daughter) knew such a thing existed!?
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • nattykins
    Options
    I got a nice selection of children's books to read to my baby when he/she is born. In one charity shop they were 10p each and another I got 3 for 50p.
    Found a superman baby grow for 99p. Even if I have a girl, she'll wear it!
    Also got a stripy cardi for £1. Its nice and neutral so should be a good wardrobe staple.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter told me it was a sugar lump holder but I laughed and said it wasn't .

I've never seen or heard of a sugar lump holder, but I like it. It's cute :)
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love post Christmas shopping in cs's, and love the people who don't like the toiletries I do :). Today I bought an Olay regenerist 7-piece gift set for £2 and Crabtree and Evelyn hand wash and lotion for £1. Trouble is I don't know whether to keep them for myself or give them as presents!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    sparrer wrote: »
    I love post Christmas shopping in cs's, and love the people who don't like the toiletries I do :). Today I bought an Olay regenerist 7-piece gift set for £2 and Crabtree and Evelyn hand wash and lotion for £1. Trouble is I don't know whether to keep them for myself or give them as presents!

My dad used to call that idea "the carousel" - i.e. presents that got circulated half a dozen times, and no-one actually used them!

Treat yourself :D .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family