Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Options

Comments

• Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tunnel wrote: »
    A miserable day AGAIN with about 1kWh generated over my 3 systems. As shown above, December all in all was just above average, I'd love to hazard a guess as to how much my SSW had done had I not retro fitted the Solar Edge to it but i'll just sit quietly knowing its about 15% up.

Tunnel

Ps... Happy new year all and may the generation be with you!!!

May I put that into perspective for you, without using high unnecessary after decimal points?

0.1538461 O's......so pro rata not as bad as you may think for today with cra* weather.......smiley-laughing021.gif

0.24 O's today, sad end to 2013, but all is not lost:-

29.52 O's Dec 13
    27.48 O's Dec 12
    25.00 O's Dec 11

What does that tell us? Whatever, long may it continue...:beer:

A Great and Happy New Year Ahead to you all, and me....:T coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • InVestor_2
    Options
    105.66% of PVGIS estimate for the month, a massive £3.83 profit over :D

I have no idea why 'O' is being used or taken seriously

I understand it's used by certain people to try to "even the odds" but it is so flawed..

My first year results were nearly 4100 kWh

My second year was under 3850 kWh

I can't even compare my own system to itself, never mind to anyone else...

Anyway, Happy New Year to all (even those with small ones ;) )
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    InVestor wrote: »
    I have no idea why 'O' is being used or taken seriously

I understand it's used by certain people to try to "even the odds" but it is so flawed..

kWh per kWp is a standard industry efficiency measurement so that is probably why it is being used to "even the odds" so to speak.

http://pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=7259&sid=5821&v=0&t=m

Best December for me since my system was installed. What that means is open to debate.

Happy New Year!
  • InVestor_2
    InVestor_2 Posts: 270 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2014 at 9:44AM
    Options
    kWh per kWp is a standard industry efficiency measurement so that is probably why it is being used to "even the odds" so to speak.

http://pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=7259&sid=5821&v=0&t=m

Best December for me since my system was installed. What that means is open to debate.

Happy New Year!

Yes, that is understood

But using it in this context to compare people's systems is extremely flawed as it doesn't take in the biggest variable, weather!

As my example shows, you can't even use it reliably over a whole year, never mind one day..
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    Yes, that is understood

But using it in this context to compare people's systems is extremely flawed as it doesn't take in the biggest variable, weather!

As my example shows, you can't even use it reliably over a whole year, never mind one day..

You are right. A system based in the South West is always going to generate more over a calendar year than one based in the North East, and a 4 kWp system is always going to generate more than a 1.32 kWp one.

Why people feel the need to compare generation is a bit odd in my opinion but if they are going to do so then using the industry standard of kWh per kWp appears to be a sensible way to do so.

However, if you want to take the weather variable into account then the best comparison method would be to measure your system's performance against the Climate PVGIS database, but again what that proves is anyone's guess.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Of course it takes into account weather, and all of the other variables too!

All of the variables add up on any given day, week, month or year to give you a generation figure. All the O's do, is take that figure (that includes weather, location, orientation, pitch etc etc) and converts it into a figure that can be compared across any installation, of any size ...... anywhere in the world.

To say O's don't account for the variables, means you don't think generation reflects the variables??????

If one system has very good weather, it'll have very good generation ......... and therefore very good O's. Simples!

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good year this one, but hard to compare to last year as the extension was added in Summer 2012.

So, annual targets (without any reductions for shading) and results:

Total for 2013 4,413kWh. Target was 4,248, so ~104%.

ESE hit 102% of target (98% 2012). WNW hit 108%.

And to compare to other installs, that's 791 Os (kWh/kWp).

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • mickyduck
    mickyduck Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Another year done and dusted:

June amazing 632 kWh but that only just made up for 7 months where the generation was below PVGIS.

So the cold hard facts:

Total Generation
    2012 3903 kWh
    2013 3842 kWh

PVGIS 3819 kWh

Even with all the excitement of summer records the yearly totals are almost exactly what was expected.
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • InVestor_2
    Options
    You are right. A system based in the South West is always going to generate more over a calendar year than one based in the North East, and a 4 kWp system is always going to generate more than a 1.32 kWp one.

Why people feel the need to compare generation is a bit odd in my opinion but if they are going to do so then using the industry standard of kWh per kWp appears to be a sensible way to do so.

However, if you want to take the weather variable into account then the best comparison method would be to measure your system's performance against the Climate PVGIS database, but again what that proves is anyone's guess.

My view is that comparing on a daily basis is completely pointless, other than for income.

I'll stick to my £, others can post 'O's I just don't see the point.
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    My view is that comparing on a daily basis is completely pointless, other than for income.

I'll stick to my £, others can post 'O's I just don't see the point.

I agree. Daily generation comparison does seem a bit OCD (even for income) but then each to their own.

Mind you complaining about one variable (the weather) and then bringing in others such as system size and FIT rate seems just as pointless to me.

I wonder if all this solar pv comparison is simply because people are compensating for something else. Who knows.... (and cares;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback