IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CAG doing something useful

Options

Comments

• give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Options
    You are right, of course, P t P. I suppose it is symptomatic of the frustration that a site can come up with good and useful stuff such as the matter you highlight, whilst at the same time indulging in silly petty jealousy.

Of course voices need to be heard against the corrupt mess that the present bailiff system is. Reform and proper regulation are well overdue and the opportunity needs to be grasped.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm very disappointed, I started a thread on possible bailiff legislation, which I thought would be of use to all here. Instead all replies, bar a couple, have been about the rights and wrongs of CAG, I expected this from other parts of the forum but not here.

Sorry PTP. :o

It was a very useful & interesting link and it was written by tomtubby (is that Herbie aka Sheila)? Any way tomtubby knows about bailiff stuff so - indeed - CAG are soing something useful.

The other issue is daft - I think they are scared of being sued over links they cannot 'control'. But I can even link pepipoo and MSE (I don't bother to recommend CAG) on a football forum and PaidToShop and they don't get all jumpy about it! You would expect smaller sites like footy forums and PTS to be more scared of being sued - not a self-styled 'expert' Consumer Advice Forum like CAG!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2012 at 8:00PM
    Options
    After the debacle of the way they treated their admin assistant back in 2008 and the humiliating climbdown they had to make in relation to that perhaps they are a bit conscious of someone sueing them. But if they behave the same way they did with Karnevil then they would only have themselves to blame.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16376
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Wow! Didn't know about that, Trebor16! :eek:
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2012 at 11:10PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Wow! Didn't know about that, Trebor16! :eek:

It was very contentious at the time and Karnevil got a really hard time from the powers that be at CAG and some of the Mods. You can see the apology they issued was a humiliating U-turn on the claims that were being made at the time. They even had a specific "libel" thread going on to raise funds for the case, so there must have been a lot of members who were wondering what was going on when Marc Gander issued the apology.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't forget to follow the link to the consultation paper and have you're say.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Don't forget to follow the link to the consultation paper and have you're say.

WIll do when I feel a bit less 'full of a cold' like today!

I am a woman with a headache! Eeeurgggghhh!! :p
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    I find CAG really quite frustrating at times. Besides not allowing links to either MSE or PPP it seems that unless the general advice follows a particular format then posts are removed. As we all know the standard advice for PPC tickets is to ignore but on occasions it is good advice to tackle the matter head-on and write letters/NBA's to bring the matter up short. It seems that because that now offends the all-pervasive view that advice can only recommend that posters "ignore" PPC demands that any post suggesting otherwise - even in specific cases where that advice is entirely sound, are removed.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Options
    "Ignore" is a good tactic as it requires no input and works. Therefore I agree it is the "default" advice for the sort of worried posters who make up the majority of the "clients". I would not pretend it is the only tactic: with more confident posters sure of their ground, taking them on in a controlled way- leading to the opportunity to sue them- is good too; a couple of payouts of damages for harassment would make the crooks rethink their business model.
  • Herbie21
    Herbie21 Posts: 562 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2012 at 3:33PM
    Options
    As many on here will know, I have the Bailiff Advice Online service and I used to regularly respond to enquiries here on MSE but started to withdraw as so many posters were too interested in arguing instead of assisting the person who has come on here to request help....and support.

This Consultation on bailiff reform is of vital importance and there will never again be another opportunity to get good bailiff law and that is why I offered to write the Newsletter for "the other site" ( under my user name of Tomtubby). There are other follow up Newsletters that I am writing one of which, was released today on the proposed changes to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents.

It has been known for a long time that there are "frictions" between the various forums but so what. Instead of being critical, everyone should instead be saying "well done" for providing a means in which members of the public can obtain advice for FREE!!!

As for the comments about the owner of "the other site" ( MG) I am shocked that anyone should be critical about him making money from his site. Surely nobody can expect that a site such as theirs ( or this one) should be run as a Charity !!!

For what it is worth, I have also been "told off" in the past for posting links to external sites but what I have never done is to "jump over" to another forum to complain. I do not post links to my site and know perfectly well that the "other forum" would not allow this.

The only reason that I am mentioning my business on here is that it may help to know that the Newsletter has been written by someone who has a fair amount of experience with this most dreadful industry.

Thanks everyone for reading this and PLEASE, PLEASE respond to the public Consultation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport