IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CAG doing something useful

Options

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone looked at the article? Rather long but if it tames the rogue bailiffs it will be useful.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    CAG have just removed a link to the letter chains on this forum. The reason was:-

"Recommending CAG members to other sites is a form of touting for that other site and thus contravenes CAG rules."

So no mention of "Links to non-commercial and free advice sites are permitted" as per their rule 8.3 then.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    They are worried people won't visit CAG and instead visit this site, afterall they must get some money from adverts
  • trisontana
    Options
    CAG have suggested that we should create a letter-chain list on their web-site. Why go to all that time and effort creating such a list when there is a perfectly good one on here which could be linked to?
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2012 at 12:35AM
    Options
    would that be this letter chain thats linked to over on pepipoo.com
    http:// forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=53998 ? ( and that seems to re-direct to some other consumer advice site )
    [edit]....
    eek! just got the same not allowed to post links as on CAG! ( although hopefuly its because my post count isnt high enough - yet)

and to add, it looks like some of the mods over on CAG are getting a bit shirty ( typo?) and they have requested that all links go though the main site admin for what appears to be aproval, looks like someone could be busy then.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone looked at the article? Rather long but if it tames the rogue bailiffs it will be useful.

Its long overdue reining in some of these bailiffs. The programs on TV like "The Bailiffs" and "Beat the Bailiff" don't help because they don't point out what a bailiff can and cant do.

Specially Beat the Bailiff they show the punter what could happen if a bailiff turns up with a warrant and empties your house! They never say keep the house locked and don't let them in then you have beat the bailiff!
    The one thing they have got in their favour is seizing your car!

As to CAG I once had a link to companies house webcheck taken down?:o
  • trisontana
    Options
    Half_way wrote: »
    would that be this letter chain thats linked to over on pepipoo.com
    http:// forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=53998 ? ( and that seems to re-direct to some other consumer advice site )
    [edit]....
    eek! just got the same not allowed to post links as on CAG! ( although hopefuly its because my post count isnt high enough - yet)

and to add, it looks like some of the mods over on CAG are getting a bit shirty ( typo?) and they have requested that all links go though the main site admin for what appears to be aproval, looks like someone could be busy then.

They are really getting annoyed now on CAG . This from a moderator called dx when I asked for reason why we cannot link to this site:-

'i' dont have too!!

but as you seem to be stupidly pushing this issue having been politely asked to drop it twice now......

for this particular subject, we DO NOT WANT THE LINKS PUBLISHED HERE.

regardless of it being a free site!!

other links are quite ok.
    though ideally all links should go via admin [not us mere siteteam] for approval

do we understand this now?

or are you going to continually question things....

please drop it

your sand timer is almost empty
    i have far better things to do
    than debate this with someone respected
    like yourself

there are VERY good reasons why we do not want it.

dx

• give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Options
    There are VERY good reasons... but covered by the Official Secrets Act, apparently. Pathetic, considering from what I can see the principal posters there are very shaky on this subject.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm very disappointed, I started a thread on possible bailiff legislation, which I thought would be of use to all here. Instead all replies, bar a couple, have been about the rights and wrongs of CAG, I expected this from other parts of the forum but not here.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • trisontana
    Options
    I'm very disappointed, I started a thread on possible bailiff legislation, which I thought would be of use to all here. Instead all replies, bar a couple, have been about the rights and wrongs of CAG, I expected this from other parts of the forum but not here.
    Sorry for for hi-jacking the thread. I'll try not to do it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure