Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,916 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    One day NG! :) That would be cool. Just be grateful you didn't have a set of mini keys on the side at the weekend - if they knew what they were doing, they'd definitely have taken them :(

It's great fun TH - if you haven't got a car, there's plenty to look at (inc some for sale ;) ) down in Brighton on Madeira Drive on the Sunday - it's open for the public to wander round at will (unlike the November 'proper' L2B, where it's cordoned off for safety/security purposes).
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all!

I think I've recovered from the weekend - energy levels have been up and down a lot recently, but I think it's due to sleep/lack of sleep/stress/general busyness. Today is an up day :)

Dinner last night was okay. I think it needed a bit more passata than I gave it, but I was using up what was open, rather than following the recipe exactly. We've got enough to have the rest tonight with an omelette. Evening class tonight, and I've done my homework already (amazingly). About to start on work proper, although I've done a couple of bits already this morning. Unless one of the big bits of work arrives today, I intend to get out in the garden and do some clearing out there. I also need to sort out the energy tariff, as our fix is coming to an end.

Mum and I are on schedule to do the long-awaited boot sale this weekend. I can't wait to be rid of the bits floating around the house! Not sure it'll all fit in the car, which is a slight issue, but we'll either get another one done very soon, or the charity shop will benefit.

MS things:
    * YG survey done
    * PA survey done
    * Very economical dinner last night and tonight :)
    * Bought a bargainous £4 bottle of wine as a thank you for Dad for running around after us at the weekend

Gratitudes:
    * The wealth of wisdomousness on these forums - absolutely amazing
    * Andro1d pay - DH used it last night when I discovered we needed onions and garlic for dinner and he'd gone out without his wallet (not with the intention of shopping, so not his fault!)
    * Smokey neighbours timed their fag for before my breakfast this morning - smoke had dissipated by the time I went outside :)

Have a good day all!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How wonderful! I had to miss the diaries out yeterday, madvix, so I hadn't read about your weekend till now, really brilliant. What's your tent like, it sounds like it must be a good'un - and it must save you an absolute fortune, knowing what London and Brighton prices are like!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    It is a good tent - but not the smallest! We can stand up in it though, which makes all the difference. It does save quite a bit - it was £22 to camp for the night though. If it weren't London, that would be pricey! My Uncle lives not too far away, so current thinking is we might stay with him next year (haven't asked yet, but he has plenty of room and we get on well).

• themadvix
    Options
    Afternoon all!

Cooler here today - had to eat my brekkie inside! Bit of a manic start to the day as realised I hadn't completed what I hope (fingers crossed) will be the last grant application for our Guide hut refurbishment and it was the deadline today. Had started it, so it didn't take too long and as I got to the end, discovered the deadline wasn't till Friday! Never mind, it's all done now.

Plenty of work to be cracking on with (and I have been), but need to get out - have something I need to post and nearly out of tea! :eek: We've got a plastic-free shop that sells loose stuff opened up in a nearby town, so I really want to get there for a look-see and to get the tea. Motivation to get work done is high.

Things are going well with work at the moment and have a couple of new clients and couple that have resurfaced too. All the work yesterday meant I didn't get out in the garden. Think it'll have to be the weekend now. Last year (or the year before?) DH and I got into the habit of getting up at normal weekday time at the weekends - it meant we got loads done. I think we need to instigate this again.

Unsure about plans for dinner tonight, we may go to the big blue and yellow shop as I need a desk (work expense). In which case, due to time restraints, we'll need to eat there. Otherwise, there's plenty in the cupboards, so I'm sure I'll work something out.

MS things:
    * MS rewards, SBs, inc survey
    * Leftovers for tea last night
    * Working, not spending anything?!

Gratitudes:
    * Had a fun trip to evening class in the mini last night - DH took me and met a friend for a drink (no idea if he spent actual money, must ask!)
    * Plastic-free shop is nearby - used to go to one in London when we were up there, but not convenient!
    * Lots of work

Have a good afternoon all!

• themadvix
    Options
    Have just got back from the new zero-waste shop (couldn't for the life of me remember that that is what it's called earlier when writing!). It was wonderful! The lady was lovely, the stock plentiful and what I need and while some of it was organic, not everything and so the prices were reasonable. I'll definitely be returning there again :)

I parked for free (sorry M0rrisons) and popped into the PO at the same time. Nothing really money-saving to add, but just had to share!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very interesting! I've never actually been to a zero waste shop. Couple of green shops in Brighton, of course :D but loose tea sounds excellent!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hi Karma, they are becoming much more common now :D Turns out loose tea was double the price though after a bit of research. So might go back to a box of loose.... it wasn't the best blend for me either. The pasta and rice and herbs and spices were good though!

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zero waste shopping...itd take some searching to.find one round our area!! Reckon they'll take 5yrs yet to appear!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • themadvix
    edited 24 May 2018 at 11:08AM
    Options
    So, morning all, and what a morning it has been....

£70 down by 9.30, having taken naughty ginger cat to the vets because when I let him out for a run around before breakfast he was straight over the fence and into a fight with a neighbour's cat! Managed to detach a claw and there was blood everywhere! (Including all over the carpet in the lounge where I coralled him! - see gratitudes below!) He's on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and has to be kept in for a couple of days.

We did go to Ikea last night, so £10 on dinner. Bought the desk I wanted, except it isn't really a flatpack as I've combined the sit-stand base with a much nicer top. Will require DH to do some drilling, but should work nicely. It wasn't particularly cheap (although cheaper than the motorised version), but with my leg/hip joint pain caused by sitting in the wrong position for too long, it is necessary. I've also never bought a desk before - I'm using one that came with my parents house that we moved into when I was 4(?) - it's moved house twice since and is really showing its age! I will freecycle it though, I'm sure! Of course, I will be expensing the desk and mileage so saved a bit there.

At this point it's best not to mention the spending diary! :rotfl:

Dinner tonight will be the leftover curry from last week - I should probably get it out of the freezer.... And DH has taken soup from the freezer for lunch today with the end of the bread. I think I'd better do some baking.

MS things:
    * TCB on a Fetch order for cat bits
    * Resisted impulse buys in Ikea!
    * VB poll, SBs, MS rewards

Gratitudes:
    * Ginger cat was not badly injured
    * We have a vax to clean the carpets - of all cat bodily fluids (it's been a couple of days of it! :( :eek:
    * DH for being handy enough to build the desk I would like
    * The deer in the deer park on the way home from Ikea last night - glorious, beautiful and so close! They walked across sedately in front of the car - at least 40 of them!

Have a good day all!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback