Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,918 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Afternoon all,

I've been MIA for a few days due to sheer life busyness. I've had a lot of work on, went visiting old folks homes again on Friday (decision made, I think) and spent yesterday volunteering... again (the last 'extra' day for a while!). DH has been working hard on the mini for the last two days (he had Friday off), so when I've been around I've been out helping him. MOT is booked for tomorrow.... everything should be fine except there's an oil leak :( We can't do anything about it as it's an 'engine out' job, so it'll either pass or fail and we'll either use it next weekend or not.

Spending is all still on track - nothing really spent the last few days that's not budgeted for. Have just done an online order though which will set me back ~£70 on Tuesday. But the cupboards are looking rather bare, especially of basics like flour, butter, sugar, pasta! Meal choices are becoming rather limited!

While doing the garage DH has been having a clear out and has a bucket of scrap metal. I'm going to see if I can get anything for it as there's a scrap metal recycling place on the industrial estate over the road. Even if it's only a couple of quid it's better than nowt (I could walk there!).

MS things:
    * Managed a free lunch (and an extra apple to bring home) at the volunteering I did yesterday :)
    * Food all from stores - we've eaten very well this week - a curry thali on Weds night with daal, aloo gobi and chana masala, naan and rice (small portions of each!). The rest was portioned up and has gone in the freezer for another day; sparrow grass (from veg box) risotto last night.
    * Clicks and bits done when I remember
    * NV; YG surveys (50p of pay out from NV now)
    * 2 MS done - hadn't done one in ages, but these were very simple and easy money, so happy to take them on. £22 to come from these and holiday currency sorted (had to provide the cash myself sadly!) Will keep an eye out for more of the same.
    * Have been utilising Ancestry's free access to 1939 register - very interesting!

Gratitudes:
    * Good company yesterday at the volunteering thing - t'would have been pretty dire otherwise, but my friend and I had a laugh
    * Good film watched last night :) (chance to unwind)
    * Kites, thrushes and blackbirds various have been making me smile
    * We've got to go for a test drive in the car in a minute :D

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday folks! :)

ETA: Forgot to say, I've walked 500 miles since Christmas according to my fitbit - rather pleased with this and now singing ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    edited 14 May 2018 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Evening all,

After a spectacularly bad night's sleep and a headache all day, I'm finally coming to and feeling more human (a nap may have helped). Enough woe is me!

Mini failed MOT, but not on the major, plan-changing thing we expected, so it's booked in for Friday morning for a retest. Should be fine.

DH is at the airport awaiting a flight to Germany for a work thing - back tomorrow. I've invited Dad over for fish and chips (DH has said he'll pay :) ). I've worked, around the MOT and the nap ;) and have made good progress with stuff today. More is expected, so I need to keep on top of it.

MS things:
    * Lunch from freezer/leftovers from dinner
    * VB survey and poll - now at payout :)
    * SBs and MS rewards done
    * Work, work work....

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely sunny day - breakfast and lunch in garden
    * Fresh air and exercise going to drop off/collect car from MOT place
    * Car failed on minor things we can sort - weekend plans are go! :)
    * Chippy tea with Dad soon (cats will be grateful for this too - chip shop chips are a favourite treat!)

Have a good evening all!

ETA: In the event Dad took me out for dinner and paid :) Was yummy too!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Feeling much more with it today. Unexpectedly can also see daylight at the end of work as client has just informed me that she's off for the weekend and implied there won't be any more work arriving before she gets back. So once I'm caught up, I'm free!! (At least, less un-free). Having a much more productive day today - 2 x washing loads on line (need to get it in really), fish food and cat worming tablets bought, going to pop to PO in a minute. I also have a list, so beginning to be able to see what needs doing. DH being busy with the cars the past few weeks, combined with too much volunteering and work has meant everything house/housework related has built up and I was beginning to feel it was an impossible mountain to climb. Hopefully now though I'll have some time tomorrow to crack on with stuff and get caught up.

Spending still going well. Big shop delivered this morning (£68) and fuel topped up but am doing well at resisting unnecessary stuff. We've got a fun weekend planned that will be spendy, so I keep reminding myself not to fritter now. So far, it's working!

MS things:
    * Leftovers for lunch and dinner, will help to clear bulging fridge out
    * MS rewards, SBs

Gratitudes:
    * More meals in the garden - really enjoying doing this
    * Lovely evening with Dad last night
    * Hope of a respite from work tomorrow :rotfl:

Enjoy the sunshine this afternoon folks :)

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow! You may have been letting things go, but you're catching up fast :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks Karma. It doesn't really feel like it, I have to say. I'm struggling to find much to write about here at the moment as while we're not spending, not much else is happening either - it's all fixing cars and work. There might be some chance of an OP but we actually need to have time to sit down and work it out! (I'm beginning to feel that OPing barely gets a mention here!)

Have just ordered the chicken for the cats from the butcher. I've recently switched to chicken breast fillets from thighs. Turns out it's much cheaper - £30's worth lasts for ~two months, whereas it was £20-25/month before. I don't like the waste though nor the fact it's not as ethical as I'd like. But it's plastic free (relatively, I buy a 5kg tray at once, so less packaging) and good for the cats. Why is it always so difficult to get the balance right?!

Have just ordered a book from Am, using vouchers given at Christmas. It's for our holiday and quite a specific guide, so not available from the library. I'm getting to the point where I'm paralysed about spending anything 'unnecessary' though (especially on 'stuff'), which is not good - again, more balance is needed.

MS things:
    * DH at a conference, so free lunch for him
    * Baked bread and cakes on Tuesday, so we're stocked up for food.
    * VB, MS rewards, SBs, inc survey
    * Cancelled veg box (today) and milk (yesterday) - except we now have no milk! (Will pop over road and remedy this, will still be cheaper than milkman)

Gratitudes:
    * Sunshine and a drive in the mini (for an appointment the company had to cancel as they couldn't do what I needed them to do!)
    * HM pizza last night :)
    * That I'm finally up to the point in Greying's diary where she no longer uses Photobucket and I can see the lovely foodie pics :D

Have a good day all!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Karma. It doesn't really feel like it, I have to say. I'm struggling to find much to write about here at the moment as while we're not spending, not much else is happening either - it's all fixing cars and work. There might be some chance of an OP but we actually need to have time to sit down and work it out! (I'm beginning to feel that OPing barely gets a mention here!)
    Doing your main job is 99.99% recurring the best way to earn extra dosh! So carry on :D
    Have just ordered the chicken for the cats from the butcher. I've recently switched to chicken breast fillets from thighs. Turns out it's much cheaper - £30's worth lasts for ~two months, whereas it was £20-25/month before. I don't like the waste though nor the fact it's not as ethical as I'd like. But it's plastic free (relatively, I buy a 5kg tray at once, so less packaging) and good for the cats. Why is it always so difficult to get the balance right?!
    Breast is cheaper than thigh? I haven't eaten meat for about a million years, but I'm really surprised by that. Still, it works for you, thats the main thing :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks KC :) You're right, of course, work is the way forward. DH's work's share price has improved quite a bit today... at one point if we'd sold most of the mortgage would have just disappeared (in theory, obviously, as there's a limit and CGT etc, etc). It's heading back to more normal heights now!

Yes, breast is cheaper, I don't get it either, but there it is. Also so much less faff for us, even compared to boned and skinless thighs.

Am feeling frustrated today and can't settle to anything. Taking the mini for its retest later and then will go and get cat's chicken (in mini :D ). Was going to do some gardening in front garden (in need of it!), but smokey neighbours are sitting out there (sun is round there now). :( Have a little bit of work to do and should just sit and get it done, but.... it's lovely out there. Struggling to make decisions as to where to plant things in back garden - aargh, like I said, can't settle to anything!

Sis has just sent me a pic of her latest winnings - a whole load of delicious-smelling toiletries :)

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I somtimes have days where I CAN'T settle. I make myself do 15 mins of something and I normally either totally hate it and do soemthng else, or I just carry on. Thinking I'm only doing it for 15 mins seems to trick my mind into thinking its ok.

Boo to smokey neighbours though, sorry to hear that.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • themadvix
    Options
    Morning all!

Thanks EG. I do sometimes do the 15 minutes thing - it usually helps. I think the failed appointment in the morning and then the 3pm one (why did I book it for then?) hanging over me didn't help. I did manage to get some stuff done - cat's chicken bought and processed, and car passed MOT. We ended up having takeaway though as DH didn't get home till late and I was fed up of the messy kitchen by the time I'd done all the chicken (yuk!). I enjoyed it though, more than normal, so it was money well spent and the only bit of unnecessary spending so far this month.

Re smokey neighbours - they're another reason for moving. Only last week we were saying that our immediate neighbours were ok, and then we've been reminded why we'd like to get away from them from both sides this week (bonfire in the middle of the day when I had washing on my line from one side, constant smoke now the weather is nice from the other)!

Today I have more jobs to get on with but I'm feeling more positive. There are a few hopefully easy wins that I could get ticked off my list. I've already done the washing up (we have a d/washer, so the non-d/washer stuff accumulates), so kitchen is looking lovely!

MS things:
    * TCB on takeaway
    *PA survey (20p)
    * VB, SB, MS rewards (I know I write this every day, but more often than not, that is what reminds me to do it!)
    * Virgin Money CC applied for (for Virgin Atlantic points and because my current cc is closing)
    * The piece de resistance, NV survey - reached payout!! £50 heading my way :)

Gratitudes:
    * Mum - for giving me a kick up the bum this morning
    * Tasty takeaway and quality time with DH last night - it just seems that we've been on the treadmill constantly recently. While this weekend will be fun, it won't be the relaxing break I need! Roll on BH weekend!
    * Breakfast in the garden this morning - extending the 'porridge season' for as long as possible!

Have a good day all!

• Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Madvix,

I often have days where I can't settle on anything, I can feel its going to be one of those days today as I have so many jobs to do. 15 minute bursts is a good idea :j

Boo to smokey neighbours :mad: we're quite lucky that we don't have to put up with that...We live in a terraced house so there are plenty of things we do have to put up with...just not smoking :rotfl:

Great news on the survey payout :T
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family