PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• annab275
    annab275 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I am really going to try this. Didn't spend anything yesterday and watched Jeff Yeager on youtube - he's quite inspiring (but a bit annoying). Anyway, I am doing the grocery challenge and failing somewhat so I cehcked out what I already had to make main meals with in the house - enough to do at least 14, so that's two weeks sorted. I will have to get milk but may get two and freeze one when I am more sorted.
    must say NO to impulse buys!
    GC March Challenge £182/200
    GC April Challenge £232/£175
    GC May Challenge £170/£175
    GC June Challenge £175
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi parsniphead we too went down the redundancy line a few years ago horrible time but oth working now again and thanks to the peeps on this and old style thread I was able to stretchhhhhhhhhh things so much further good luck I hope all goes well xxx today is turkey thigh joint from freezer and veg ,bit of a hole made in freezer this past week and only dairy things bought . hope for good few nsd this week but will def need fruit good luck all xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    Just had a quick read through this, very inspiring.
    The oh is being made redundant in April, thankfully I work full time so it won't hit us nearly as hard as it would others, but we still need to tighten our belts, I intend starting before he looses his job so I should join you all.
    We're off up Scotland for a week so it won't be this week, we need to enjoy possibly our last break for a while, but when we come back we will do a fresh food shop then need to start making everything we have last for the week instead of nipping out for fresh food and ending up spending more than we need.
    I'll keep watching this while we're away and promise to be more active on return :)
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2016 at 6:30AM
    Options
    NSD 11 today:) So far have only shopped on 1st and 8th March. I love this new way of doing the shopping throughout the month:D

Good luck to all the new people attempting this challenge:T
    November NSD's - 7
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My first NSD today. :j

I have done a big batch cook up and it feels good to have a load of home made ready meals in the freezer again. I'm going to do some more tomorrow. Possibly a lot of making up of recipes.

I also need to spend some of my day tomorrow getting some work done on the veggie patch in my garden. It's going to have to work hard this year to keep us going. I should be doing my reports for work but they can wait. I have until a week on Monday to get them in.
    Being up to my knees in soil will keep me out of shop type mischief.;)
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My first NSD today. :j

Being up to my knees in soil will keep me out of shop type mischief.;)

And think how nice it will be to go down the garden and get your veg as fresh as you can get it come the summer.

Because of age and clapped out joints I grow virtually nothing apart from a few herbs in the conservatory ,but even those I enjoy, as it beats the heck out of buying them from the supermarket at inflated prices . I find chives etc so cheap and easy to grow in small pots .My DD gave me last week a small pot of seeds and compost with some minture strawberry seeds to grow out there as well :):):)

JackieO xx
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    And think how nice it will be to go down the garden and get your veg as fresh as you can get it come the summer.

Because of age and clapped out joints I grow virtually nothing apart from a few herbs in the conservatory ,but even those I enjoy, as it beats the heck out of buying them from the supermarket at inflated prices . I find chives etc so cheap and easy to grow in small pots .My DD gave me last week a small pot of seeds and compost with some minture strawberry seeds to grow out there as well :):):)

JackieO xx

When I lived on my own I loved nothing more than getting in from work, digging up a few potatoes, boiling them and eating with some butter melted over. I make a bit more effort now with the family.

I never have much luck with herbs, I don't know why. I will keep trying though.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Veg box ordered and shopping done yesterday. Spent total of £33.80, so far this year groceries come to £937.64:) Total NSD's this month - 13 including today as planning a nice day at home cooking up a storm:)

On track with budget and should only need veg box and small top up next week so hoping for another 5 nod's before I need to spend again.
    November NSD's - 7
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

I have given myself a stern talking to, and hence I am now back on a fiscal fast, starting today. I will be having planned grocery expenditure on Fridays, but apart from this I am going to fiscal fast. My main weaknesses have been buying online from Ama*, and iTu*, and this now has to stop. With money saved I wish to clear off debt that has accrued, ugh! and then start an emergency fund. Also, I want to start being in a place to help hubby be able to retire earlier than 68, he is currently late 40's.

I can see now that I have been in denial, I had to give up work due to ill health, but I still have my head on that thinks I am earning an income.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on your 'lightbulb' moment peony40, you are definitely going to be focussed now :)
    I have been away on my spring break and although only had one food shop this month before I went away, I also came home with left over stuff from my self-catering holiday I had three frozen chicken thighs that I turned into a nice curry yesterday with the help of half a reduced cauliflower.This made two decent portions for the freezer. The other half will be eaten with something from the freezer tomorrow night.
    having had a look at what I brought home and whats in the freezer and cupboards I know I won't need to go food shopping until the start of next month I brought some delicious fruit and veg from a stall where I was on holiday, and also some gorgeous ham off the bone from the butter market there.So no food shopping for me this week :):):) I still even have about £16 odd left in my food purse which I took away with me so I am very pleased with this months spending amounts.
    menu this week will be
    Sunday :at DD's tonight for dinner
    Monday: breaded fish from freezer with mash also from freezer and left over cauliflower steamed
    Tuesday : Pub Quiz where I get a meal thrown in for £2.00
    Wednesday ; Ham salad with ham from freezer and salad stuff I brought home
    Thursday:Curry from freezer with rice from cupboards
    Friday:lamb chops from freezer with veg and mash
    Saturday:Steak from freezer with sweet potato and mixed veg
    All food I already have in store I made a big pot of soup this morning so lunches will be soup and crackers and breakfast either cereal or porridge.So spending this week fingers crossed will be zilch

onwards and upwards fiscal frugallers :):):)
    JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport