PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a chat to DH and told him my plans - he's promised to try and not sabotage them:)

Millie - its a good saying isn't it! - I think I'll put it as my signature! :)
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ladies x I've been lurking for a few days and just have to say how well you're all doing:T.
    My normal shopping day is sunday, today, and I have decided to give it a miss and see how long I can go without. I didn't shop last week either, but I'd already planned for that, this week we'll be living out of the freezer and cupboards.
    The cat wont be happy as he normally has a mix of wet/dry food and I'll run out of wet by thursday, but he knows that if he doesn't eat what he's given then the dog will eat it and puss will go hungry:rotfl:
    I have two little girls(6 &4) who, luckily, are very unfussy eaters and I do still have plenty of meat and fish in freezer. TEa tonight is a mixed bean and lentil casserole (already in the sc) with cheesy mashed potato.
    the only thing I'm slightly concerned about is fresh fruit as we eat a lot, but we do have some in to use up, then it will be tinned/frozen +extra veg to make up for it. I've already planned their butty boxes and this afternoon we're making twinks hobnobs, brownies and shortbread.
    I got a 4pt milk out of the freezer this morning that should see us for most of the week.
    by next week we may even be able to see the bottom of the freezer!!!
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks - I have been interested in your thread and wondered if I could take up the challenge. My normal shopping day is saturday but I have gone over this months grocery budget and need to not spend until next pay day - 23rd March. So my fiscal fast will need to actually last 12 days!!

The freezer is packed, the storecupboard overflowing and the "winter watch" tins need using up so I have no excuse. I'm up for the challenge if you will allow me.
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The more the merrier Its great how this thread has taken off so well and what a good idea it is we are all tightening our belts to match these lean times andthe support on here is really good so no matter if you only manage one or two days without unnecessary trips to the shops you are making baby steps which hopefully will turn into giant leaps.
    My eldest DD has just dropped in and given me half a dozen fresh new laid eggs from her friend, as her OH is allergic to eggs so they rarely have them. I am very pleased, and will have a couple scrambled for lunch so a free lunch for me today.I go to my youngest DDs late afternoon for dinner, and will make her an apple crumble from apples I froze last autumn that are in the freezer as my contribution to Sunday dinner.I'll probably even make a jug of custard to take with me in a tuppaware jug.Every little helps, and the boys love crumble and custard.Onwards and upwards chums
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I have just walked the dogs and realised - duh - that I have a 12 year old birthday to deal with - my nephew. I had already bought the card intending to just add a tenner - but now I can't. However inspiration has struck. I have traded some books into Amazon and have a credit of £29. I will design a wish voucher for him to spend with Amazon via this fairy godmother - he can browse to his hearts content and then I can order it for him and send it straight to his house. (I had already thought that I could buy a gift voucher with this credit but it won't let me). I love trying to find a creative solution!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    taplady - your avatar has always intrigued me. It's impossible to do! (yes I am sad enough to have tried it :rotfl::rotfl:)
  • taplady
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    taplady - your avatar has always intrigued me. It's impossible to do! (yes I am sad enough to have tried it :rotfl::rotfl:)

Nothing sad about tap dancing:)I used to tapdance until a couple of years ago. Was in a small local group and we did lots of concerts. I've just been packing up my costumes to give away to a dance group as I think my days of tapping on stage are over.
    Another Oldstyler taps too - Bitsy Beans.:dance:

I have already got my mothers day present sorted - I've painted a picture for my Mum. I did have to buy a frame but it wasn't expensive - no where near as much as buying her a gift and she'll really appreciate this.

Ninno - great idea for a birthday present for your nephew:T

JackieO - I still have a tub of stewed apple from last year and some stewed plums too:)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    taplady wrote: »
    Nothing sad about tap dancing:)I used to tapdance until a couple of years ago.

I didn't say that tapdancing was sad (I did it myself for a while and enjoyed it), just that I've tried to manipulate my feet into the same configuration as your avatar and found it impossible.
  • taplady
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    I didn't say that tapdancing was sad (I did it myself for a while and enjoyed it), just that I've tried to manipulate my feet into the same configuration as your avatar and found it impossible.

ha ha I see! I thought you meant you were sad for trying it:o:doh: silly me! havent actually tried that position myself -(rushes off to try:D)
  • modern_millie_2
    Options
    Evening all.

Hi Ninno and Lisakay, hop[e you find the thread as motivating as I am doing! Good idea on the birthday present Ninno.

Spent £1. 99 today on coffee as we had a freebie on the loyalty card - no cake:D. Maybe next week we will bite the bullet and make a flask up! My mum and dad never bought coffee out, it was always a flask and packed lunches for them.

Had a walk around our local country park, which is free, then came home and did a bit if gardening and knitting. Unfortunately we seem to be suffering from blocked drains (oo-er!) so just as well we haven't been spending, will be contacting the local drainclearing service tomorrow.

Fresh fruit has now run out, but we have tinned and dried, milk is almost gone, but otherwise coping well. Hoping to spend about £20 next week to last the following 7 days, plus petrol, so hopefully will be adding to the holiday fund again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure