PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Catzine, I shall definitely attempt a week long fast, at some point, although I must say I am usually very good :D with 'stuff' but I have so much food in the house...

I watched the Jeff Yeager clips, and I have to say I thought he was brilliant! On one of the bits I saw (but it may have been the clip from his book on Amazon) said that most people have at least 4 unused greetings cards in the house GULP :o I have a more than I'd care to admit, as I've a tendency to buy them if I see them cheap or to buy boxes of greetings cards, and then 'not find' a suitable one when I look. I already had decided to swap unused Xmas cards with an online mate, as I have a ton of those too, and you get to the point where you've not a clue what you've sent someone before...think that applies to the greetings cards too. I have resolved to DO something about this now, and offload some of the ones I will never use on the charity shops. It's not like I don't need the space! Maybe we should organise an MSE card swap!

Kate
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Katieowl! Good luck when you start yours! I think a card swap would be great, I never seem to have the right card but often have many that are no longer suitable (sadly mothers day and fathers day cards now parents are gone :( and birthday cards with the age on long after the event because I mislaid them!) I think I must charity shop those, don't get me started on Christmas cards! :o
    Let the de-cluttering begin!

I would love to read Jeff Yeagers book but need to save a bit more as I don't think it will be available in our library, might be aimed more at the american market. Mind you The tightwad gazette works well over here! He is a very funny guy though, having a laugh helps when you are cutting back the spends!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just off to do my first shop of the month today wish me luck I'm only taking a tenner as I really don't need a lot,hopefully I will come home with change :)

'Need to buy' list
    5 Bananas
    ground coffee (that will cost the most I think but its my one favourite treat to myself)
    Longlife Elmlea cream (Once opened on Sunday morning it lasts me almost a week in my coffee)
    digestive biscuits
    1 Burgen soya and linseed loaf (Icelands are selling it for a pound at the moment and a loaf lasts me a week as I portion it up into the freezer)
    That's about all I think as I have found some portions of mash in the freezer so don't need spuds,also found some carrots ,leeks and broccoli frozen that will do for a few days (saves me buying any in )
    My DD says I will start squeeking soon if I get anymore frugal :):)
    Cheers all
    JackieO xx
  • modern_millie_2
    Options
    Well done Jackie and Catznine, I am mightily impressed! Do you think Fiscal Fasting is addictive? I am certainly looking forward to going on, in a strange kind of way.

I think having just a few pounds at the end of the week for treats is a good idea for us too - was wondering how to 'afford' a Saturday newspaper - I probably could do without, but Mr MM really looks forward to the puzzles (we know how to live!).

Well, today I will spend no more than £5 on coffee out for DD and me - this is our 'girl time' between college and orchestra practice, didn't want to forgo as we only have 3 left before she finishes for good - end of an era. Not buying cake though! Will be a test as we will be at the shops, but I will go for a walk, take a book and some cereal bars with me.

I am on day 4, only thing that is really short is milk - I had diluted evap milk on my muesli! Going to cook some potatoes to fry, rather than use up oven chips. Have no wraps left for DDs lunches next week, she will have to have rolls from freezer.

Know what you mean about the cards, Katie - I'm going to try to use what I have (more than 4).

We have a big planned expense coming up in the next couple of weeks, DDs 18th birthday, we have money set aside for a laptop - not counting that as part of the challenge as it is already promised and budgetted for, and she will (hopefully) need it for uni in September.

Have put £40 from housekeeping budget into holiday fund - woohoo! - as today is day I take housekeeping from the bank. Gosh, if I can do this every week......!
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 March 2012 at 2:51PM
    Options
    Isn't it great when you can pop the savings from the fast into something like a holiday fund? Well done! :T
    If you both enjoy that paper then why not buy it as a treat out of the money you have saved? So long as you have the majority saved I can't see a problem!

I had my first spend today and boy did it feel strange! I bought a huge tube of sensodyne toothpaste for only £1.50 from our ms centre (for funds) and 50p for a cuppa. I am getting through a fair bit of this with sensitive teeth, with lots of dentistry going on I shall be well prepared. Lunch was a jacket potato with creme fraiche, leftover ham and some sad looking mushrooms - twas lovely!

Off to plan a small shopping list for later, don't need much and not going to get tempted now. I worked out that my £200 allowance for food this month (March grocery challenge) divided by 31 days = £6.45 a day. So on spending days I am going to keep to this figure! So Fri, Sat and Sun off the fast = £19.35 or less to spend. I forgot that £50 a week only works out evenly in Feb! Oh well I probably saved the difference anyway by not buying anything to eat or drink at the gym!

Keep going Fiscal Fasters! It is so worth it!

Edited to say that I used apple juice on my muesli to save on the milk, also used a spoonful of dried milk with boiling water to make a mug of cocoa! We should come up with a list of ways to save on milk as this seems to be the area that is more difficult to deal with!

Catz x
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I caved and ordered both books off Amazon, at a discount though! :):):) I shall report back .............

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    atypicalblonde I think I'm everyones grandma on here :):)

definitely :T:T
    catznine wrote: »
    I caved and ordered both books off Amazon, at a discount though! :):):) I shall report back .............

ooh let us know what they are like i have had a look, thanks to your links , i really like him but i cant afford to buy one yet

really like this idea , would love to join in but not sure its possible with my lot , they just dive into the nearest shop if they want something :cool:
  • lally666young
    Options
    My daughter said no mummy you dont need that today in boots, but she said it that loud. I had to put it down as I felt embarissed!!! So have little kids. She wants me to save money so I can take her to disneyland nxt yr and have a princess party! So that is me put in my place!!!!
    Has anyone seen my last marble:A:A:A:A
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.LZ member Soylent Green Supervisor
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The first shop after the fast was even stranger, I really didn't want to spend anymore than I had to! I spent £18.11 so kept under my £19.35 limit! I bought bread, milk, dog food, various vegetables, dog chews and dog biscuits. Guess that shows where our priorities are! :) Also 1 treat - a pack of 4 bath buns reduced today to 69p All frozen individually now. I will freeze the bread in 2 slice portions tomorrow so no waste.

Off to a Mothers Union coffee morning tomorrow so will have to spend some pennies there but all in a good cause.

• modern_millie_2
    Options
    Hi all, hope everyone has had a good day.
    Sounds like the books will be a good read Catznine! Well done on your shop. Must admit, first thing I thought of when starting out was whether we had enough cat food.

Found I really didn't want to be near the shops today, but did take the opportunity to look at prices of frozen veg for next week. Managed to resist cake, but was starving when we got home!

Didn't part with actual cash today as DD paid for our coffee with the £5 she contributes to her extra tuition (she has EMA) so will be strange when I actually go shopping!

Fruit juice on muesli is a good idea, think when I do shop will pick up some dried milk.

Work in cafe tomorrow and Monday, sandwich for lunch and coffee provided! Good job to have when on the Fiscal Fast I think!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure