PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    katieowl wrote: »
    If you can eat almonds you have to try this:

Lemon Almond Polenta Cake

Cream together 225g of softened butter, with 225g of caster sugar, and then add 3 eggs. Beat in and add 225g of ground almonds (ald! is the cheapest I've found) and 112g of polenta*, and a heaped teaspoon baking powder. Add the juice of one lemon and the finely grated zest from two lemons. Tip into an 82/20cm square baking tin, which you have lightly greased and lined with a strip of baking paper - I just do a strip down one side, over the bottom and up the other, don't bother with the other two sides. Level it off a bit in the tin, before placing in pre heated oven. Bake at about 160 for about 30 mins, until it's dark golden and firm when you push it. It's a very dense, but moist cake that keeps wrapped (if you let it) for about a fortnight. Original recipe is from the River Cafe books, I've halved it, as otherwise it makes two this size or one massive cake, and it cooks quicker like this.

MMm, I am trying out an almond cake this weekend, I already have the ingredients so it hopefully won't affect my fast when I start tomorrow!
    catznine wrote: »
    It worked! I have yogurt! :j

yogurt.jpg

OOo that looks good, my flat is often too cold and my yoghurt never quite sets, I have turning the oven on then leaving it off with the door closed all night but it cools down way too quickly!

I have had a good poke through my cupboards/freezer and fridge and I managed to plan the next month worth of meals! It just requires some shopping to top up meat, fresh salad etc, but aside from that I have enough to last at least a month, with more left over! I had no idea that meal planning could be so rewarding :D Im sad - I showed DH the months list last night, and he promptly asked for something different for dinner than what was on the list for that day :o Still, as he said, its still using up what we have, which is the aim..

Looking forward to starting tomorrow, my dad is taking us out tomorrow for dinner so thats dinner/tea and desserts sorted! :T
    We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic. ;)

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): £13,500. Current debt: [STRIKE]£680[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£480[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£560[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£13[/STRIKE] £0 overdraft :D
    Current aims - to start building up savings
    1st £1000 in 100 days - £1178.03 :D 2nd £1053.38/£1000 :D 3rd £863.59/£1000 :o
    :j
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    catznine wrote: »

You don't need lots of ingredients to make a meal, you don't have to religiously follow a recipe either, you can substitute ingredients with what you have - this is going to save a fortune!:jFrom now on my shopping list is going to be much simpler, fewer items, concentrating on fresher while getting a good deal.

Katieowl - The soba noodles came from approved foods and were de- identified! So I'm afraid that is no help! They are good though!

Agree with that, when I was properly working having a menu plan, I used to build in a couple of 'on toast' nights to my menus, where we'd have beans, eggs, cheese, or just beans on toast. Not every meal needs to be a gourmet delight, and that was a real LBM for me (see other thread where I confess to cookbook addiction :)) These days we do 'nosh' where we just eat what is in the fridge, which the kids love...so I might bake off a couple of ready to bake baguettes and do a pan of boiled potatoes, but then put out leftovers hot or cold as appropriate, pickles, bits of salad, a few olives, a couple of slices of ham...whatever there is that needs eating.

Recently when there has just been me, OH and DS(20) here I make an executive decision, give OH one thing, the other to DS and I'll have a jacket potato, but it's taken OH a long time to 'get' that I'm quite happy to be feeding them what he sees as the 'good' stuff (I actually think the spud is the good stuff myself LOL!)

I actually think that single thing is saving me a fortune. We are throwing literally nothing away like this...not even to the compost, but the dogs get lucky occassionally.

Double LOLS at the noodles...you are obviously a fellow traveller. Half my store cupboard is de-identified ATM!!!

Kate
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mogwai wrote: »

OOo that looks good, my flat is often too cold and my yoghurt never quite sets, I have turning the oven on then leaving it off with the door closed all night but it cools down way too quickly!

Looking forward to starting tomorrow, my dad is taking us out tomorrow for dinner so thats dinner/tea and desserts sorted! :T

I moved my thermos to the airing cupboard and it worked in there! We don't have a water tank in there but moved the boiler in and it seems warm enough!

Good luck for tomorrow! I shall be interested to hear what your thoughts are on the challenge!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Aarons_mummy
    Aarons_mummy Posts: 961 Forumite
    Options
    GRUMBLE! I have to buy my son shoes he has a foot condition and his tailor made shoes (£150 per time :O) won't be ready for 6-8 weeks (wonderful NHS) so he has shoes that are too small so I have to visit Clarks and hope beyond hope that they have something that will fit. It does mean I HAVE to spend though. Boo!
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • lally666young
    Options
    See I am going to do this. I am going food shopping and to the wholesalers as I have to stock up on essentials. Then I feel I am ready. I know he tells you not to do this. But I cant take any chances!!! Esp my 3yr old and her animal biscuits, I ran out once last week and she went through the house like a tornado!!!! The only other problem I have is good old charity shops and amazon. I always end up giving in. Plus I have found a cheap one near my parents, so what is a girl to do? Also I called the tax credits people as I am waiting on a new claim comming through. And they have offered me like a loan if you like to go and collect tomorrow near my parents. Cat do you think I should just not bother. Because you have been an inspiration to get me on this. I could really do with some advice!!! HELP IM CONFUSED !!!!!
    Has anyone seen my last marble:A:A:A:A
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.LZ member Soylent Green Supervisor
  • lally666young
    Options
    GRUMBLE! I have to buy my son shoes he has a foot condition and his tailor made shoes (£150 per time :O) won't be ready for 6-8 weeks (wonderful NHS) so he has shoes that are too small so I have to visit Clarks and hope beyond hope that they have something that will fit. It does mean I HAVE to spend though. Boo!
    This i one thing I am dreading!! running out of things that I need. I do understand, its awful!!! It like £2.90 for a loaf of bread!!! And it is horrible. But what to do, what to do!!
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

:( I think that foot conditions or not, shoes are very important especially for children! Just not worth stinting on unless you have a clarks outlet nearby! You can still be frugal with all the other things which might help you pay for the shoes! To be honest I don't stint on shoes for myself either, hate sore feet! We are lucky enough to have a clarks outlet nearby and I got some lovely but comfy shoes there for my sons wedding at a fraction of the normal price!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    See I am going to do this. I am going food shopping and to the wholesalers as I have to stock up on essentials. Then I feel I am ready. I know he tells you not to do this. But I cant take any chances!!! Esp my 3yr old and her animal biscuits, I ran out once last week and she went through the house like a tornado!!!! The only other problem I have is good old charity shops and amazon. I always end up giving in. Plus I have found a cheap one near my parents, so what is a girl to do? Also I called the tax credits people as I am waiting on a new claim comming through. And they have offered me like a loan if you like to go and collect tomorrow near my parents. Cat do you think I should just not bother. Because you have been an inspiration to get me on this. I could really do with some advice!!! HELP IM CONFUSED !!!!!

Why don't you just take those things you can do from this? Your life sounds full enough but maybe there is something that could be tried that will save you some pennies.

Your buying in bulk is a great idea as you often get good savings, I do this by going to Costco 4 times a year. I think it is the daily thinking you must go shopping and then buying more than you really need that adds up, (my dh was like that thinking he was helping me) eating out is another thing that was emptying my purse and his wallet, even a MD's adds up!

Have a think, can you make cards, the simple designs are lovely, easy to do and will save you loads (can't believe how much Clintons etc charge now) In the meantime (((hugs))) I do remember how difficult it was when my kids were little and growing fast.

• atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2012 at 2:40PM
    Options
    I haven’t been checking in to MSE very much recently but we are hitting hard times at the moment (DH self-employed, lots of unpaid invoices) and this thread has been a complete inspiration.

I have just totted up exactly how much money we have had in this month (our month runs from the 15th which is my payday) and where it has gone. Whilst we have saved an awful lot (I go on maternity leave in June) there is room to shave money from our food bill which was a whopping £224.72 for this month (includes a few beers for hubby here and there, and we have three cats).

I am going to get creative in this kitchen this weekend with some of our store cupboard items - first plan is to make veggie lasagne to use up some frozen spinach and some of the many lasagne sheets we seem to have! I am also going to make a birthday card tonight as opposed to buying one.
    Thank you for starting this thread and giving me some much needed inspiration xx

PS - JackieO - you write so well, I love reading your posts and wish you were my Grandma! x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • lally666young
    Options
    I make cards, make gifts for family members like for my a heart button picture for my mum on mothers day and I making a planter for her as well. These have only cost me about £4.00. I am always making things, sewing, kniting and anything I can get my hands on. Shes sat watching TV at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family