Cheapest Broadband Provider Discussion

Options

Comments

• n_earnshaw
    n_earnshaw Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm just trying to see if I have any alternatives.
  • emh_2
    emh_2 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Hope someone can help me,

I am very keen to upgrade to broadband, but one thing is preventing me from doing so at the moment. Will I lose my current e.mail address which is with BT yahoo?. Or could I still access this mail account with another ISP (through dial up or broadband?) or am I destined to upgrade to BT broadband only. Its just that I can't be bothered changing all my adresses, and BT wouldn't be my first choice for BB.

cheers
  • DVB_3
    DVB_3 Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    What do you mean - BT Yahoo? Dial-up? Can you show how your address looks like? Just blank out the left hand side of it (before @) to prevent spamming, because it's the domain (after @) that matters.
  • petermyers
    Options
    attention ex telewest broadband customers.
    At present i am on a 12 month contract ( TELEWEST ) expires this june paying £17.99 monthly
    for basic 256K service, i think this represents poor value, but am tied to June, has
    anybody out there tried to tweak telewest for faster speeds FOR SAME MONEY before migrating, in otherwords are telewest open to negotiation.
    regards - peter

***I have removed your email address Peter, inline with Site guide lines, thank you, Board Guide***
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    emh wrote:
    Hope someone can help me,

I am very keen to upgrade to broadband, but one thing is preventing me from doing so at the moment. Will I lose my current e.mail address which is with BT yahoo?. Or could I still access this mail account with another ISP (through dial up or broadband?) or am I destined to upgrade to BT broadband only. Its just that I can't be bothered changing all my adresses, and BT wouldn't be my first choice for BB.cheers
    What you need is a Google g-mail account. Completely free and 1gb storage. The only address you will need to change is your own, you can access all POP mail etc. and keep your address book. Send me a message with your current e-mail address if you want one and I will send you an invite. The beauty of this is you will never need another e-mail address as you can take it with you to any ISP if you decide to change.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • pjala
    pjala Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Went to Carphone Warehouse site:
    http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-broadband-Home
    to look at the 2.99 3 phone deal, and noticed the 14.99 1mbit unlimited broadband deal - only on until the end of the 31st March. (tried to post yesterday but wasn't registered!!). The deal is excellent, as if you go for the plus1 deal, you get free phone calls evening and weekend and the broadband - all for 14.99 per month. I'll post in the grabbit and run section....
    Catch:
    Lasts for one year.
    All the best.
    Paul.
  • NE_Bill
    Options
    I would urge anybody who is considering signing up to an Internet Service to check out the website www.ispreview.co.uk and read the users opinions of the different providers. Check out statistics and check out each section before signing up. Sometimes the cheapest up front is not always the cheapest in the long run, as if you are inexperienced it can cost frustrating phone calls to rediculously expensive numbers getting support that isnt much help anyway. I personally use NDO, (https://www.ndo.com)not the cheapest, but certainly the best (in my opinion).
  • leki
    leki Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    for unhappy tiscalli users your savour is here..... :)

http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/press.php?release=26
  • crunchy_with_ketchup
    Options
    leki wrote:
    for unhappy tiscalli users your savour is here..... :)

http://www.freedom2surf.net/adsl/press.php?release=26

Hmmm.... PR from the 1st April.... hmmmm....
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    pjala wrote:
    Went to Carphone Warehouse site:
    http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-broadband-Home
    to look at the 2.99 3 phone deal, and noticed the 14.99 1mbit unlimited broadband deal - only on until the end of the 31st March. (tried to post yesterday but wasn't registered!!). The deal is excellent, as if you go for the plus1 deal, you get free phone calls evening and weekend and the broadband - all for 14.99 per month. I'll post in the grabbit and run section....
    Catch:
    Lasts for one year.
    All the best.
    Paul.

Another catch is the service is dreadful, they also throttle anything that isn't web browsing or email, and will kick you off if they decide that you are using the service too much. DNS problems, and Newsgroups being out of action for ages at a time.

I was with them for about 3 months, initially because for the first month the service was next to useless, they offered to allow me to move away for free, then they said they were getting a new pipe installed, and I could have a couple of months free and 150mb of webspace, so I stayed, it was still hit and miss, and then they decide to kick me off, for using the service too much - if only I could. All I can say is avoid like the plague.

Their phone service is good, their internet NOT!
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure