Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

Options

Comments

• jeanna_2
    jeanna_2 Posts: 519 Forumite
    Options
    hello,
    has anyone used rescue my car for breakdown cover. it's a good price.
  • RiaAnn
    RiaAnn Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    donal_f wrote: »
    My renewal for the AA came this week. I called them and told them I was moving to AutoAid - they did reduce the price from £77 to £60 - however, I still cancelled.

I've now taken out a policy with AutoAid.

My renewal was due, and likewise called saying I was moving to autoaid. Renewal quote (roadside +relay) for me and spouse was £126 which they dropped to £75 or for £58 by switching to a vehicle based policy :mad: So mad I had to phone to get the best prices, zero customer loyalty and on principe I will be switching to Autoaid anyway.

They claimed they could do this as I had not made a claim for a few years, so essentially a secret "no claims discount" - certainly worth a phonecall if you are keen to stick with the AA.
    Autoaid is £36 so £90 saved and this includes home breakdowns!! :T
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    can I put in a plug for Britannia.
    I got a discount for being with Unison (some union I joined a long time ago but am no longer with).
    Britannia cover myself and HWTHMBO, and our assorted vehicles which are numerous, two wheeled and aged (except the car). well SOME of them are! :D
    it costs us £114.00 for the year. I think that RAC costs us well over £300 - I daren't ask. Although I am thinking about Tesco/Green Flag this year, but have no idea how I'm going to cover all the vehicles.
    NOTE: sometimes we lend one of our friends one of our 'bikes and we need to be sure that they can get it back to us if something happens to the bike. So having personal cover won't cover that eventuality.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • theinsider
    theinsider Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Had my AA renewal through - £97 for Roadside+Relay.

Same cover on RAC website (Solution 1) is £92 reduced to £69 + £21 cashback on Quidco making it £48.

Phoned the AA to cancel, they asked why and I explained the above. After a short conversation with her manager, the lady offered me a 40% discount bringing it to £58.20.

For the sake of a tenner and not having to fill in application forms I'll stick with the AA, plus they have been excellent when I have actually needed them in the past.

Just a shame you have to phone them to get these offers though - they should run a no-call-outs discount scheme as standard.
  • datahead
    Options
    Is it worth getting a Barclays addition plus account as for £14.50 per month you get full RAC cover and worldwide travel insurance for the whole family
    This may only be worth it if you have a joint current account as the RAC cover is then for both names on the account and not just one person

Although this seems more expensive than going to RAC themselves I guess for £174 per year you are covered for travel and breakdown insurance
  • mbriody
    mbriody Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with AutoAid for the past year and they've been great. I had one call out and it was settled within a week.

I'm due to go to France for a week at the end of the month and have been looking at Euro cover - the Euro Rescue Plus for France seems very comprehensive but is £34 for 10 days. There are no policy/claim details online so its difficult to know if they are any good (I have requested a brochure). Anyone used them?

My AutoAid policy is up next month so would I be better looking at a deal including Europe?

I looked at Europ Assistance but it seems to include personal insurance which I've already got. I'm just looking for a product for the car.
  • RussellG
    Options
    Hi. Does anyone know the cheapest cover for a pick-up? Auto-aid do not cover them.
  • anneleyskiing
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I have a Smilemore joint account with my husband. For the £10 monthly subsciption you get free Greenflag cover and holiday insurance. Recently I needed to use the Greenflag cover but initially told my husbands car (which had gone kaput) was not covered, only mine. Essentially Green Flag had logged my car details 3 years ago when I called them for assistance but then cancelled the call out as I managed to get the car started soon afterwards.
    Eventually after speaking with Smile Customer Services, who were a bit in the dark I have to say, I was asked by them to call Green Flag back and say that they thought I was covered! I did this and explained about the cancelled call out 3 years ago and they DID come out in the end.

However, I'm now concerned if my car is covered!
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    I'm wondering whether to bin the Smilemore account services and take out AutoAid car cover and separate travel insurance.
    Any help appreciated.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    i think you are paying over the odds for the 'free' breakdown cover and travel insurance.. bought separately could be well under the £120 you are paying over the year..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    VIJAY_FROM_KENT Posts: 2,126 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I have a Smilemore joint account with my husband. For the £10 monthly subsciption you get free Greenflag cover and holiday insurance. Recently I needed to use the Greenflag cover but initially told my husbands car (which had gone kaput) was not covered, only mine. Essentially Green Flag had logged my car details 3 years ago when I called them for assistance but then cancelled the call out as I managed to get the car started soon afterwards.
    Eventually after speaking with Smile Customer Services, who were a bit in the dark I have to say, I was asked by them to call Green Flag back and say that they thought I was covered! I did this and explained about the cancelled call out 3 years ago and they DID come out in the end.

However, I'm now concerned if my car is covered!
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    I'm wondering whether to bin the Smilemore account services and take out AutoAid car cover and separate travel insurance.
    Any help appreciated.

Bin the £10 per month and buy them separately for better value and peace of mind :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure