We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Breakdown cover: Get the cheapest roadside recovery

Options

Comments

• stars_bright
    Options
    I was with Auto aid last year and when I called them they were excellent. I paid by credit card and had the money from Auto aid in the bank before my credit card bill arrived. I would renew with them except that this year i want my son to be covered when he drives my car and Auto Aid cover the person, not the car. Can anyone recommend a cheap breakdown cover that covers the car for any driver?
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I need braekdown cover for my x reg zafira..... home call out a must just in case it breakdown at home.... what are my options and best prices? all help appreciated. Thanks
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • mrsyorkie
    Options
    I use NCI. I've just had a renewal notice through for 45 quid which includes homestart, onward journey etc (comprehensive cover). I took out the basic policy last year for 35 quid. I haven't had to call them out, however my mam and dad did (they recommended them to me) and they said they came out in less than an hour, fixed the problem (can't remember what it was now but something simple) and then followed them for 5 miles to make sure the car was ok. I can't remember the website, but if you google it it will come up. Also, if you do it online you will get a discount and it's no hassle.

Came on this thread to see if there was anything cheaper, but I think i will stay with them now.
  • demail_2
    Options
    A bit off topic I know, but it occurs to me there's another way. We all know that AA/Rac, etc will give you immediate cover if you ring them up when you've broken down, but they will charge plenty for it (I've heard of over £100). Does anyone know what the charges of the various companies are? I'd be happy to take my chances (as I do now) by not having cover in place, if I knew I could get it in an emergency and that it wouldn't be exhorbitant.
  • Buster_Danog
    Options
    Demail, I know it would be over £100 with the AA. They told me that if I joined while broken down and had to be towed it would be £130. I don't think it's worth the risk, and I'm always trying to save money.
  • DuncanS_2
    Options
    My renewal came through from the AA this morning - £123 for roadside and relay, cover for myself and spouse. I called them to cancel and they offered me a discount of 25%. I refused this and said they would need to halve the cost in order to be competitive. The operator went off to "talk to her manager", then came back and agreed! So I am only now paying £61.50. I have been with them for six years and have had about four callouts in that time - including once when they carried a Sharan all the way from Wakefield to Watford.

I do like the convenience of the AA, plus the comfort factor of knowing they send their own mechanics and recovery guys, using good equipment and vehicles.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi demail,

My parents got stuck about 4 years ago and found they hadn't renewed.
    The RAC charged them £160 !!

I don't know if they got ripped off with European cover or not, but I got them onto First call which was 25% of that price.

I'm now with AutoAid at £36 for 3 vehicles.
    Personally I'd rather do that, know I'm covered and support a good company, but it's up to you.
  • Sazzzle
    Sazzzle Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with the AA for 4 years and got a renewal letter recently with a quote of £48.00. I was just gonna let them take the money as I do think the peace of mind is completely worth it, but I went on their website this morning to have a look at what Roadside cover actually entails. Imagine my shock when I saw them offering a new member price of £43.00 with £8.60 online discount giving a total of £34.40 (AND you can get Nectar points on it!!).

I then clicked a button that said "save up to 25% on your breakdown cover renewal" and having selected which cover I required (basic Roadside, same as always) it gave me a quote of £60.00!!!

I called them to cancel with the intention of signing straight back up online and they said they could put me through to a department who would honour the online quote... Still, made myself a 'saving' of £13.60!
  • deefadog
    deefadog Posts: 2,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sazzle i did the same last year. I now alternate between the AA and RAC going through cashback each time, seems the cheapest way
  • Hollysan
    Options
    Our AA breakdown cover is due for renewal soon. We have had a letter from the AA with a price of £140 - roadside and home start, not relay, but joint cover with OH. Seems a lot compared to some of the other companies discussed here. Can anyone answer these questions? We have never had Relay - is the main advantage that they will take you home as well as the car?

We do have £15.50 worth of Tesco vouchers. Would the RAC take them as part payment or would we have to have more vouchers?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage £78,000/£67,690.73
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business