PPI FAQs discussion thread

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Highly unlikely. MPPI and PPI are different things.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • frauschnitzel
    Options
    my husband and i re-mortgaged 10 years ago, it's a joint mortgage but for some reason we had seperate ppi's . we assumed it was all part of the mortgage package and wouldn't have had through choice. we have both made seperate claims and his was turned down yet i was offered 5k. how can they say i was mis-sold and not him if we were both in the same room when it happened. is it worth going to the ombudsman.

any advice would be appreciated
  • frauschnitzel
    Options
    my husband and i re-mortgaged 10 years ago, it's a joint mortgage but for some reason we had seperate ppi's . we assumed it was all part of the mortgage package and wouldn't have had through choice. we have both made seperate claims and his was turned down yet i was offered 5k. how can they say i was mis-sold and not him if we were both in the same room when it happened. is it worth going to the ombudsman.

any advice would be appreciated
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my husband and i re-mortgaged 10 years ago, it's a joint mortgage but for some reason we had seperate ppi's .

Very common. Nothing wrong with that. Its because MPPI on "joint" plans has to have the benefit split. Often 50/50, or 70/30 or 100/0. So, two single plans is what you use when you want to cover the mortgage fully for both of you.
    how can they say i was mis-sold and not him if we were both in the same room when it happened.

Depends on the reason why it was upheld. What were your complaint reasons? (if the only reason you gave is it, then that is weak and would normally lead to rejection).

What were the rejection reasons on his?

it may be that you were not eligible or had an issue that did not exist with him.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • CMK76
    CMK76 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I have just found paperwork for two old insurance plans i had with previous mortgages. The first is A family Protector plan to cover illness, job loss and pays out a 'ppi of 502 per month for a year'. The other is very old ( 1997) a 'flexible insurance plan, covering illness death job loss. Would these be ok to pursue? I have all the paperwork and remember especially the family protector on being sold by a very pushy person who said the mortgage wouldn't be approved unless this was taken out.
    thanks
    Claire
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,572 Forumite
    Options
    Don't bother.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • golfwiddow
    Options
    hi can anyone let me know, my son has just received a PPI amount of £152 back on a credit card he had for over 5 years, although he is not completely sure how much he should of got back, he feels this is rather low. can he turn this down without losing his right to claim? how would he go about it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    golfwiddow wrote: »
    although he is not completely sure how much he should of got back, he feels this is rather low. can he turn this down without losing his right to claim? how would he go about it?
    He'll only ever receive a refund of what he actually paid (plus interest). How much he paid will depend on how often (and by how much) the credit card he held had an unpaid balance.

He can of course refuse the Bank's offer and go to FOS.

However, unless he is certain the Bank are offering an amount less than he actually paid, it might be unwise to do this as the Ombudsman process takes up to eighteen months.
  • chatters123
    Options
    I was miss sold a ppi from my catalogue . I had a letter today saying im oued £616 back but instead of giving me the money they put it back into my catalogue account to pay off some of the money ! Can they do this ? Ive been paying ppi for 8 yrs without my knowledge or permission , they have taken that money out of my account and now they have done it again without asking me :( Surely that money should go to me directly shouldn't it ? But again they have pocketed it.
  • GhIFA
    GhIFA Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Was the account in arrears?
    I am an IFA. Any comments made on this forum are provided for information only and should not be construed as advice. Should you need advice on a specific area then please consult a local IFA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure